Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryunemployed View Post
WTF?! all the fuss about getting legislation passed before the 4th of July recess only to come back and act like nothing happened? they haven't mentioned the unemployment extension at all... I thought it would be priority #1 for Democrats since they used it to bash Republican opposition. I guess it's all politics and we're just pawns. I truly dislike Republicans but I do admire their power to get **** done, whether it's good or bad, at least they do things with their power. F'ing Democrats can't even convince 1 of their own to push a necessary bill. I know Republicans should be blamed for this but they should also mention Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson (NE) whenever they criticize those who oppose it. Maybe shedding more light on that douchebag would bring him to his senses.
Welcome to our wonderful government at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrox311 View Post
I think both parties are to blame personally. Instead of doing what is right, they're to busy finger pointing.
So true, I'm in despair about anything ever changing for the better with our government.

So long as Americans live under the illusion that there are 2 seperate parties instead of one, which will only do what is best for them, nothing will ever change.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 AM

382 posts, read 1,922,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul677 View Post
I think I just got the answer from the Ny unemployment website....

SCENARIOS
In addition to the 26 weeks of regular unemployment insurance (UI) benefits (plus one unpaid waiting week), an additional 73 weeks of benefits are currently provided under the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program and the Extended Benefits (EB) program. Each program has different deadlines and, as a result, not all claimants are eligible for the full 73 additional weeks of benefits. Please note that the breakdown provided below is based on timelines/deadlines stated in the current federal legislation, which may change in the future. Also, benefits under EUC Tiers 3 & 4, and under EB are available only when the 3-month average TUR (Total Unemployment Rate) meets required levels (see chart of TUR required levels below).** Currently, the (Mar, Apr, May) TUR in NYS is 8.5%.

so basicly even if the bill is pass, the unemployment rate in NY will have to be at 8.5 for the " Tur", ( a.k.a EB benefits) to extend the cut off dates on the EB benefits. Current unemployment rate in NY is 8.2

Maybe when Census workers star being lay off from their temp jobs the unemployment rate may go up

Damnnn we are screww

You are incorrect. NY is still eligible for Tier 3 (needs to be 6% or more, not 8.5 - 8.5 is for Tier 4).

Tier III o 13 additional weeks of benefits in states with an insured unemployment rate of at least 4 percent or a total unemployment rate of at least 6 percent
o This is the previous Tier II (prior to the November extension)
• Tier IV
o 6 additional weeks of benefits in states with an insured unemployment rate of at least 6 percent or a total unemployment rate of at least 8.5 percent

Old 07-13-2010, 11:13 AM

269 posts, read 710,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryunemployed View Post
WTF?! all the fuss about getting legislation passed before the 4th of July recess only to come back and act like nothing happened?
I tuned in only to see Chuck Schumer paying homage to George Steinbrenner. After I threw up in my mouth, I turned the TV off.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:20 AM

305 posts, read 471,819 times
This may be short-sighted, but is it possible that some in Congress don't want to extend benefits because they know that 200,000 census workers would then be eligible for the tier system too? Then again, after their 26 weeks expire, it would be past Nov. 30th, so I guess that wouldn't make sense.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:23 AM

61 posts, read 120,440 times
You are incorrect. NY is still eligible for Tier 3 (needs to be 6% or more, not 8.5 - 8.5 is for Tier 4).

Tier III o 13 additional weeks of benefits in states with an insured unemployment rate of at least 4 percent or a total unemployment rate of at least 6 percent
oThis is the previous Tier II (prior to the November extension)

o 6 additional weeks of benefits in states with an insured unemployment rate of at least 6 percent or a total unemployment rate of at least 8.5 percent[/quote]

my post was for EB benefits, which comes after all the tiers.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:29 AM

20 posts, read 34,519 times
If extended, the last week of my Tier 3 will be the week ending 11/27. Does this mean I will be able to go to T4 (if PA triggered).?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Yes -- that is correct!

Diorgirl- Now Im a little confused. Because I thought the cut off date to start another tier was Nov. 20th? If he ends his Tier 3 on nove. 27th...how is he able to move to the next Tier 4?? Im in the same boat...thats why Im curious. thanks for your help!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 AM

382 posts, read 1,922,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmome11 View Post
If extended, the last week of my Tier 3 will be the week ending 11/27. Does this mean I will be able to go to T4 (if PA triggered).?

Diorgirl- Now Im a little confused. Because I thought the cut off date to start another tier was Nov. 20th? If he ends his Tier 3 on nove. 27th...how is he able to move to the next Tier 4?? Im in the same boat...thats why Im curious. thanks for your help!
November 20th is the cutoff for those who will be moving to T1 from regular benefits.

To move to T2 or T3 or T4 - cutoff date is November 27th.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM

61 posts, read 120,440 times
diorgirl what about EB benefits? Anything on the current bill for that

Old 07-13-2010, 12:27 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,528 times
Quote:
diorgirl what about EB benefits? Anything on the current bill for that
Yes. In the current bills in both the House and the Senate, EB is covered.

Plenty of info on google about them both.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 PM

17 posts, read 32,193 times
Quote:

oThis is the previous Tier II (prior to the November extension)

o 6 additional weeks of benefits in states with an insured unemployment rate of at least 6 percent or a total unemployment rate of at least 8.5 percent

my post was for EB benefits, which comes after all the tiers.
i posted this in another thread but i dont want you to stress yourself over it, so ill post it again here:

Program TUR
EUC Tier 3at least 6%
EUC Tier 4at least 8.5%
EB Regular (13 weeks)at least 6.5%
EB High (7 weeks)at least 8%

thats straight from the website. so if the average rate was 8.2, new york just wouldnt qualify for tier 4, presumably people would just move from tier 3 to EB........ BUT the unemployment rate is based on 3 month averages, so you can disregard the 8.2 average (for now). the total unemployment rate was 8.5% from march to may and that what new york would go with until another 3 month interval passes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment