Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,272 times

Advertisements

OK reading this blog and supposed Reid remarks, I though we still needed 60 votes to pass this bill and in his comments he is stating they only need a simple majority now. This is something far different then I have seen posted here several times.

Senate Republicans stall final vote on passage of unemployment benefits legislation

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 PM

229 posts, read 574,026 times
I just read a great book. "SEA GLASS" by Anita Shreve, which is a fictional tale of what some folks went through during the depression. She is a great Author and researchs her material so it does give an indication of what they went through.

There were tough times and many tent cities. I worry about us now as we have no clue how to go from middle class to poverty. Those who were homeless before, and we all thought they should find a way to better themselves, so many of us now will/are going through that, with no idea how it's done.

I do not know how to be homeless. I only hope I find a job before that happens.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,978,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Nothing for the 99ers in the currently proposed legislation that extends eligibility cut-off dates through November 2010 -- but White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said on Monday that emergency unemployment insurance will likely be needed beyond November as millions of Americans are expected to still be out of work in the fall.

Gibbs offered no specifics about how the White House would proceed in setting in motion legislation for the additional extension -- nor whether the increasing number of 99ers would be eligible for that extension later this year. But it is considered significant that the White House is now publicly acknowledging the need to continue extending federal unemployment benefits after the mid-term elections.

Gibbs: We'll Push For Another Unemployment Benefits Extension At End Of November
White House:Jobless Benefits Likely Needed Beyond November - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100719-711284.html - broken link)
More data about the need for yet another federal unemployment benefits extension past November 2010:
Unemployment Extension Fight Is Just Beginning - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,657,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
(1)The vote on Tuesday is a procedural vote for cloture. That means the bill cannot be debated for more than 30 hours before the final vote is taken. 60 votes are required to invoke cloture.

(2) If cloture is invoked, at the end of the cloture deadline (about 30 hours -- or sooner if Reid can get agreement to move head on the final vote sooner) the final vote is taken. 60 votes are required to pass a bill in cloture.

(3) If the Senate passes the bill, it is returned to the House for another vote. Since the Senate amended the version of HR 4213 that it received from the House, the House must approve the changes made by the Senate.

(4) If the House approves HR 4213 with no further changes/amendments, the bill goes to the President for his signature -- which enacts the bill into law.
This is not true it appears, After seeing the Reid comments and knowing this has been posted this way for a long time including me as I went along with it, all a bill needs after passing cloture is a simple majority. I'm sure your not going to like the source again but it was correct the last time and along with Reids comments it appears to be true.

2010 Unemployment Extensions Bill Passed at Last! 60-40 for Cloture - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,846,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
This is not true it appears, After seeing the Reid comments and knowing this has been posted this way for a long time including me as I went along with it, all a bill needs after passing cloture is a simple majority. I'm sure your not going to like the source again but it was correct the last time and along with Reids comments it appears to be true.

2010 Unemployment Extensions Bill Passed at Last! 60-40 for Cloture - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
Okay I HAVE to ask - what PART of what dirgirl posted that you quoted and said "is not true" do you deem untrue?

Everything she said that you quoted IS true.

She never said it didn't require a simple majority to pass AFTER cloture, which required 60 votes (and was the major sticking point in moving this bill forward if you may recall).

Are you arguing for the sake of it, cos it's getting old.

Next you'll be saying she's wrong that it still has to go back to the House if it passes the Senate vote.........

Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
OK, you guys were warned (see post 1012). Keep your political bickering in the Politics and Other Controversies forum. It's a shame that a few of you are ruining this for everyone else.

Thread closed. Feel free to start a new thread, but make sure you all follow the Terms of Service when making posts.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment