Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 01:48 PM

407 posts, read 660,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
WTF are you guys talking about the bill didn't fail that was a vote to limit debate which takes 2/3 to pass. I'm talking about the house bill.
No the bill didnt fail, technically... BUT the goal of putting it to the quick 2/3 vote was to get it passed ASAP and to the senate later today for a wednesday vote there--- and get it all done BEFORE The july 4th break (AS NEITHER SIDE wants americans to spend July 4th with this hanging over their heads!) and now its hit a roadblock!

Old 06-29-2010, 01:50 PM

600 posts, read 1,074,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
i was under the assumption that Harry Reid was ASSUMING the house bill would reach him-- IN THE SENATE tonight or Wed... and was working with the republicans to pass THAT BILL once it came to them....

does anyone have clarification of what bill Reid was refering to??
The Open Congress article, which was written AFTER the BILL WAS VOTED DOWN refers TO THE ARTICLE I POSTED as if it's a separate issue altogether.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:51 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,975,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lQQkin4fulltime View Post
nope, they said 2/3 did not vote yay. FUDGE!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYUI View Post
i dont understand why you need a 2/3 vote to pass something. shouldnt it just be majority. the republicans are never going to walk with this administration. they are determined to make this president and this administration a failure. I have never seen so much bipartisanship than under Obama. I hope you all vote Democrat this upcoming election. Did any democrats vote no?
Quote:
WTF are you guys talking about the bill didn't fail that was a vote to limit debate which takes 2/3 to pass. I'm talking about the house bill.
HR 5618 required a two-thirds majority for passage because House Democrats brought the bill for a vote under a special procedure in which no amendments are allowed and debate is limited. It is the House equivalent of the Senate's cloture motion -- but the House equivalent doesn't set a time limit for further debate before a vote can be taken, which the Senate's cloture motion does.

Unfortunately, this information about HR 5618 was not included in earlier press reports about the bill.

Last edited by diorgirl; 06-29-2010 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM

225 posts, read 546,635 times
It will be hanging over my head if it doesn't at least get passed by the House. I will be worrying all weekend. This bill is the deciding factor for whether or not I will lose my house. I lost my unemployment 3 weeks ago and the retro in 2 weeks would have made sure it would have been paid..even if late that's better than 2 months late, after 30 days late, I'm out.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:53 PM

143 posts, read 225,113 times
So is there any way they can pass this bill still?

Old 06-29-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I think that it was more of a feeling of "okay, they're going to actually get something going forward here, this week" and now it's a matter of "same poop, different week".

I felt last week that this week would pretty much be a wash anyways.....seeing as how their calendars didn't have anything listed for UI discussion.

After July 3rd, 1.7 million people will now be cut off. It's only going to get worse each week thereafter. You really think they'll hold out until July is over? They are feeling the pressure, hence the reason for this new bill coming out of nowhere.

Now is the time FOR ALL OF US to act. If you don't contact your Congressmen and Congresswomen, you're as much of a reason why it's not getting passed as they are.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM

407 posts, read 660,865 times
The way I see it we have several options...
1. they can REINTRODUCE The Same Bill, under NORMAL rules, and call it up for a vote and HOPE that the republicans will allow a quick vote (instead of dragging it out with speeches) and see

2. the house can put up a new bill (which they could do today if they wanted) and have it paid for, THAT would pass IMMEDIATELY and be to the Senate tonight or in the morn where it would pass again at once

3. the senate is working on a bill there too, but that seems to take longer for some reason (dont know why the house can pull a bill out of a hat and have a vote in a few hours- but the senate takes days to do the same thing)

Old 06-29-2010, 02:10 PM

I posted this in the other thread as well:

Reid working with GOP caucus to move unemployment extension bill « Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Looks like Reid is working with Senate Republicans on the Franken/Stabenow UI extension legislation that was talked about yesterday.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:38 PM

306 posts, read 605,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
The way I see it we have several options...
1. they can REINTRODUCE The Same Bill, under NORMAL rules, and call it up for a vote and HOPE that the republicans will allow a quick vote (instead of dragging it out with speeches) and see

2. the house can put up a new bill (which they could do today if they wanted) and have it paid for, THAT would pass IMMEDIATELY and be to the Senate tonight or in the morn where it would pass again at once

3. the senate is working on a bill there too, but that seems to take longer for some reason (dont know why the house can pull a bill out of a hat and have a vote in a few hours- but the senate takes days to do the same thing)

Regarding #2: How is it supposed to be paid for? Who's gonna pay for it?

Old 06-29-2010, 02:42 PM

107 posts, read 159,892 times
House rejects extension of unemployment benefits | The Salt Lake Tribune

"With Republicans citing concerns about the growing national debt, the House rejected a bill Tuesday to extend unemployment benefits for people who have been out of work for long stretches.

The House, however, is expected to vote on the bill again as early as Wednesday.

Without an extension, payments would continue to phase out for more than 200,000 people a week. The last extension expired at the end of May. House Democrats said more than 1 million people have already lost benefits.

Congressional Democrats have been trying for weeks to pass the extension as part of a larger tax and spending package, but the larger bill stalled in the Senate. On Tuesday, House Democrats brought up a standalone bill on unemployment benefits.

Democrats brought up the bill under a special procedure in which no amendments were allowed and debate was limited. Under the procedure, the bill needed a two-thirds majority to pass. The vote was 261-155, short of the two-thirds needed.

House Democrats now plan to bring up the bill again under regular business, in which the bill would need only a simple majority to pass, said Rep. Sander Levin, D-Mich., chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee.

Levin said he expects the House to vote on the bill again Wednesday. In Tuesday’s vote, nearly all Democrats voted in favor of the bill, while most Republicans opposed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment