Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:46 PM

107 posts, read 160,011 times

Advertisements

please post the latest information here as well as other helpful info (people who called unemployment for eb..what they've been told, etc..)

below was just posted a few minutes ago for today

Stabenow to Introduce Standalone UI Extension Bill

Stabenow to Introduce Standalone UI Extension Bill « The Washington Independent

Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM

616 posts, read 1,753,878 times
Here you go:

Franken cosponsors Stabenow’s unemployment extension bill « Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM

377 posts, read 589,704 times
I'm glad Franken and Stabenow didn't listen to Reid. He said he wasn't interested in a stand-alone bill, he was in love with his previous bill. He said republicans would never vote for unemployment benefits so they were going to move on to other business and not even bother.

Despite that, it seems clear there are democratic senators who want to see unemployment benefits pass, even if it is only a stand-alone and not full of the other things attached to the previous bill that Reid knew the republicans would never vote for in a million years.

This is what should have happened from the beginning. A stand-alone bill. Republicans are going to have a hard time voting against this. I think they used deficit spending as leverage against not passing the other tax increases and job killing measures that were attached to HR 4213.

They wanted to appear strong on the deficit, but what they were really trying to do is kill those tax increases and other spending they hated, not because it was deficit spending per se.

Now that the irrelevant measures that have nothing to do with unemployment have been stripped away (the main republican objections), everyone can come in and save the day before July 4 weekend.

You have to remind yourself that the bill that failed last week was not JUST about unemployment benefits. If it had been, I think it would have been a different story.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM

11,326 posts, read 18,952,228 times
Interestingly, that article also says Sherrod Brown (Ohio), Jeff Merkley (Ore.) and Sheldon Whitehouse (R.I.) will co-sponsor it too and the $25/week provision will return (I was personally ready to not argue about that one, and not "pulling the rug out from under everyone" I thought was most important).

Let's hope it passes and maybe they're getting that having this hanging during July 4 is a BAD idea!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Those "something-for-everyone" bills usually become "nothing-for-everyone"! It seems that clarity and transparency are the best way to go, and a stand-alone bill can deliver.

I'd like to kick Mitch McConnell's butt - as well as Reid's. I hope there are a number of governors burning off some of their senator's ears ... the states are really hurting too and the farting around in the senate isn't helping.

Call / contact your senators and tell 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
I'm glad Franken and Stabenow didn't listen to Reid. He said he wasn't interested in a stand-alone bill, he was in love with his previous bill. He said republicans would never vote for unemployment benefits so they were going to move on to other business and not even bother.

Despite that, it seems clear there are democratic senators who want to see unemployment benefits pass, even if it is only a stand-alone and not full of the other things attached to the previous bill that Reid knew the republicans would never vote for in a million years.

This is what should have happened from the beginning. A stand-alone bill. Republicans are going to have a hard time voting against this. I think they used deficit spending as leverage against not passing the other tax increases and job killing measures that were attached to HR 4213.

They wanted to appear strong on the deficit, but what they were really trying to do is kill those tax increases and other spending they hated, not because it was deficit spending per se.

Now that the irrelevant measures that have nothing to do with unemployment have been stripped away, everyone can come in and save the day before July 4 weekend.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:22 PM

299 posts, read 904,664 times
IMO, if something isn't passed this week, we WILL see something passed the week of July 12th. Does anyone know if this bill will only allow a 30-day extension or will it extend the deadline to sign up through the end of the year?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:23 PM

You want to get it passed?

Spend as much time calling, faxing, emailing, your reps, maybe even rallying outside their local offices.

And contact other key players, not just your reps. Tell Reid to screw the "something-for-everyone" bill and get with the Stabenow bill. Tell Snowe she can now put her vote where it counts - thank Stabenow - remind Ben Nelson he's a frickin' Dem fergawdsake and get with the stand-alone bill. There are plenty of players who need to be reminded that yes, they represent a certain state or district, BUT we are all in this together.

I dunno how M McConnell can think his Kentucky constituents are so well off that they don't need the extension - but his refusals affect ALL of us. So he needs a fax and some phone calls as well.

She is just introducing it today, I think. I'll be curious about how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAnthony View Post
Great article finds however, where does this stand as far as actually GETTING IT PASSED????

Timeframe?
Date?
Payback plan?

Has it been tabled for this week? If not were looking at the week of July 12th, after their vacation...

Old 06-28-2010, 01:27 PM

Dems Introduce Stand-Alone Unemployment Insurance Bill - Blog - OpenCongress

Old 06-28-2010, 01:29 PM

OK! Cool, that's great.

So who else do you think we should contact - who might be a "surprise" player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekAnthony View Post
Read my older posts... NOONE has put more phone, fax and email time in. Im no rookie!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:30 PM

S 3520 (?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekanthony View Post
damn.. If shes introducing it today, i would be surprised if it gets tabled for discussion this week.. Only the july 4th holiday could get them to move now... And they are off friday. To me, looks doubtful to get passed into law this week.

What is the hr #? Anyone know? So i can read the fine print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment