Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 05:15 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
I absolutely agree that ARRA has been a complete failure. Has it done at least some good somewhere? Of course. But it was sold to us as a recovery package that would keep unemployment below 8%.
It's even more laughable than that - here's a CBS news article from Jul2009:

CNSNews.com - Unemployment Worse with Stimulus than Without (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/50521 - broken link)

That January outline predicted that with a stimulus bill, unemployment would be less than eight percent by the end of June 2009. Without the stimulus spending, unemployment was projected to rise to about 8.3 percent by June.

In fact, Obama’s own estimate shows that the economy might have fared better without any stimulus spending at all. Romer and Bernstein’s projections show that without a stimulus package, unemployment would rise to just above nine percent in December 2009, staying there through most of 2010 before falling off in early 2011.

As I keep saying, ARRA paid for the original UIC and COBRA. ARRA was "emergency spending". Pretty much everyone agrees that EUC is the most stimulative form of govt spending. So why can't those funds be "repurposed" to EUC extensions???

Old 07-20-2010, 06:00 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
REMINDER. POSTS AND THREADS THAT DO NOT ADHERE TO THE TERMS OF SERVICE--WHICH YOU ALL AGREED TO FOLLOW--ARE SUBJECT TO BEING DELETED AND/OR CLOSED.

From the Terms of Service:

"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments...

"Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants."

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM

143 posts, read 225,136 times
Today is the day.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,030 times
Is there going to be a last minute ammendment on the bill to address the 99ers?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 AM

I doubt it. I haven't heard anything in the news about it. But you never know right?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 AM

I love this:
"What the president isn't telling the American people is that many of us in the Senate are fighting to make sure our children and grandchildren aren't buried under a mountain of debt," said Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah

So he'd rather a child suffer right now without a place to live, food on the table, clothes on his back. I'm sure if they correct politics in washington that they can lower the deficit. Stop lowering taxes on the wealthy they don't need it.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:28 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,678,393 times
Our tax monies are supposed to be raised for the general welfare. If there is any question of where those monies are to come from to pay for social spending that promotes the general welfare, it should come from the Drug War.

Our federal Congress no longer has the power to Prohibit commerce among the several States since the repeal of the Prohibition amendment. The Drug War denies and disparages States' rights and should only be prosecuted where our federal Congress can "legislate in all Cases whatsoever": DC and other federal property. With greater fiscal responsibility, we could be providing for the general welfare while lowering our tax burden and deficits.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary

Old 07-20-2010, 08:14 AM

225 posts, read 546,687 times
Remind me to send the Repubs an email if we pass this bill! GO HR 4213! I'm fired up!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 AM

225 posts, read 546,687 times
OMG. I love you Sen. Barbara Mikulski!!!!! "Unemployment Insurance, it's INSURANCE AGAINST UNEMPLOYMENT"!!!! Anyone else watching CSPAN2???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment