Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 01:55 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,905,197 times

Advertisements

The bank bailouts (TARP) was allegedly to free up money for the banks to loan to small business, we saw how well THAT worked.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:09 PM

776 posts, read 1,691,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Obama should work harder on creating jobs...by making it easier for small businesses to get money, and start businesses. Instead of cutting more checks for the unemployed.
Yes, yes, and more yes. And I'm unemployed and I'll agree with this wholeheartedly. The root of all of the unemployed's problems is the fact that the jobs just aren't there. The private sector is not hiring. The private sector doesn't have enough incentive to start hiring again. The private sector is more concerned about what's to come in the future, rather than taking on new employees. We can keep extending unemployment benefits till we're blue in the face...we can spend billions on adding more tiers, and billions more extending benefits. Nothing will change until the companies, large and small, start hiring again.

We need another extension...but more importantly, we also need to solve the job's crisis that continues in the private sector.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM

225 posts, read 547,942 times
I came out of the business loan division of a bank. We were doing well until the middle of 2008. Then our bank became a lot more strict on who we loaned money to. The decrease of total gross sales of businesses we were regularly doing business with declined by as much as 80% in 2007 to 2008, which led to my job finally being eliminated along with our entire division due to the fact that these business were closing and the money WE (our underwriting department) loaned out, was not being paid back. Businesses now have turned to cash advance companies with whom they can get money from to pay for needed repairs, food supplies, etc. but it's at a much higher rate than our bank would have given them due to the fact that their credit scores plummeted as long as their sales when people stopped eating out as much. These cash advance companies are charging 27% and up to 45% interest on these "loans". This gets passed on to the restaurant or whatever business it is, employees. They can't hire more people as they don't have the resources to pay now that they're paying so much more to get funds just to keep the business afloat in this economy. So Obama REALLY needs to do something in regards to the business banking industry being so strict now and I agree w/ South Jersey Man, we won't get any more jobs until confidence from both the consumer and the business owner are up.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:47 PM

870 posts, read 1,408,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Good post - agreed.

The real issue is how to increase that confidence so that new jobs are created (or old ones brought back)

One great start would be to ban LOBBYISTS from the halls of Congress.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:17 PM

143 posts, read 225,771 times
i wish there were no lobbists. They pay off the politicians.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:41 PM

22 posts, read 39,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jznomoney View Post
I need this money too, my bank acct is in the red. My wife gets paid friday but I'm not sure it will be enough to balance it out.

we gotta be hopeful i guess, i got called for an interview at a temp agency tomorrow, anything is better than nothing. my two bank accounts are in the red and will stay that way until i can get money from somewhere. its been six weeks since i've had any income, i cant afford to go much longer.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:44 PM

22 posts, read 30,250 times
What drives so many CFP's, CPA's, Economists & other Financial Professionals in all this is - we literally have dozens upon dozens of the Same Senators , the Very Same characters who Voted YES every Single Time on Repeated SPENDING INCREASES ( at least 5 major votes) in the BILLIONS for the " REBUILDING of IRAQ & AFGHANISTAN". Not a SINGLE ONE of these SAME Senators EVER stopped, question, challenged Former President Bush when he requested for all these Billions.

Not a Single One ever screamed about the Deficit, Not a Single One Voted AGAINST the Billions for building Arab nations due to any DEFICIT issue.

Fast forward 2010. We have a new President who happens to be from a different party. He finds himself BEGGING THREE TIMES in the last 12 months for these SAME Senators for 1/5, I repeat 1/5 less in dollars for the millions of UNEMPLOYED American. Yes, American citizens who have been laid off thru NO FAULT of their own due the the WORST RECESSION in 70 years !

These same Senators keep voting NO for the sake of DEFICIT! There is only one problem, they were the same characters who GOT US INTO THIS DEFICIT MESS ! The same elected US politicians who NEVER EVER blinked about building a foreign country, YET, CANNOT VOTE when it comes to HELPING MILLIONS of REAL AMERICANS- republicans, democrats, independents, whites, blacks, latinos, asians who have been laid off.

That's the Tragedy in this whole thing. The SAME Senators who claim PROUDLY that they are PRO-AMERICAN, are actually screwing the very same hardworking americans.

If more americans, the masses, the less informed, less educated just understood this & showed outrage- these Senators would all be voting YES due to fear. But they have managed to CON millions of people.

I really feel for milllions of people FROM ALL STRIPES, ALL COLORS, ALL POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS who are currently dependent on UI to get by.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:51 PM

27 posts, read 37,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark212cpa View Post
What drives so many CFP's, CPA's, Economists & other Financial Professionals in all this is - we literally have dozens upon dozens of the Same Senators , the Very Same characters who Voted YES every Single Time on Repeated SPENDING INCREASES ( at least 5 major votes) in the BILLIONS for the " REBUILDING of IRAQ & AFGHANISTAN". Not a SINGLE ONE of these SAME Senators EVER stopped, question, challenged Former President Bush when he requested for all these Billions.

Not a Single One ever screamed about the Deficit, Not a Single One Voted AGAINST the Billions for building Arab nations due to any DEFICIT issue.

Fast forward 2010. We have a new President who happens to be from a different party. He finds himself BEGGING THREE TIMES in the last 12 months for these SAME Senators for 1/5, I repeat 1/5 less in dollars for the millions of UNEMPLOYED American. Yes, American citizens who have been laid off thru NO FAULT of their own due the the WORST RECESSION in 70 years !

These same Senators keep voting NO for the sake of DEFICIT! There is only one problem, they were the same characters who GOT US INTO THIS DEFICIT MESS ! The same elected US politicians who NEVER EVER blinked about building a foreign country, YET, CANNOT VOTE when it comes to HELPING MILLIONS of REAL AMERICANS- republicans, democrats, independents, whites, blacks, latinos, asians who have been laid off.

That's the Tragedy in this whole thing. The SAME Senators who claim PROUDLY that they are PRO-AMERICAN, are actually screwing the very same hardworking americans.

If more americans, the masses, the less informed, less educated just understood this & showed outrage- these Senators would all be voting YES due to fear. But they have managed to CON millions of people.

I really feel for milllions of people FROM ALL STRIPES, ALL COLORS, ALL POLITICAL AFFILIATIONS who are currently dependent on UI to get by.
You are right. It is a con. Both parties have their pet issues that they talk big about, but are really just for votes. For the Republicans it is the deficit and the whole "moral votes" (abortion, gay rights etc). It is just to get the power.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:54 PM

22 posts, read 30,250 times
Want another hilarious quick point to show the Ignorance by so many???

You hear & read people blaming the wasted money due to TARP. You hear repeated direct attacks on Obama about TARP.

For those people, get your facts straight. TARP was Former President Bush's Initiaitive backed by his Republican allies when he was President It was a bold solution to KEEP the Entire US Economy from crashing under his watch. Pres. Obama then continued with managing TARP disbursements.

When you have about 35%-45% of our adult population who clearly have NO IDEA what the real story is & thus rely on Talk Radio & street activists for their facts- This Nation suffers.

It has & will always boil down to education.

P.S. One of the Biggest Laughs is when you hear people WHINING & COMPLAINING why the Jobs have Not come back yet. Why is the economy still weak. Do you people know how many BAD YEARS it took to get us here today? Now you expect some Prez who is in office for 16 months to turn this around just like that???

If the gov't held back & just gave tax cuts without a stimulus spending in the last 16 months, Do not even ask what our economy would look today.

Get an education. Talk Radio is not education.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM

32 posts, read 54,663 times
Unfortunately our economy is based on bubbles. In the late 90s we had tons of money flowing in the the dot com industry until the bubble burst. Then we had the energy & telecom bubbles/frauds from Enron & Worldcom. Now we have witnessed probably the biggest bubble & economic fraud ever with the housing & derivatives market bubbles.

It feels as though our economy needs fraud and stupidity to continue it's growth and create periods of prosperity, which is sad. I don't know where our next bubble will come from this time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment