Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2010, 01:56 PM

305 posts, read 473,080 times

Advertisements

Benefits would be good through November, and retroactive to June 2. The vote this afternoon was to begin 30 hours of debate, and will require another vote before it goes to the House, which is expected to approve the measure on Wednesday.---News Services.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:58 PM

121 posts, read 122,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroush View Post
I'll admit that I've considered myself conservative (though not the conservative that most Republicans believe in).

I say one thing to the Republicans. If the debt is so important that we need to stop deficit spending, then by all means, stop ALL deficit spending. No exceptions allowed. No more "Support our troops" so let's use deficit spending. No more bailing out big business with deficit spending. No more "borrowing" from Social Security to pay for current spending. Et al.

And to the Democrats, why are you increasing the size of the government just so you can "claim" that you are creating jobs? The country needs real jobs, not more paper pushers in the government.

Bolded part=emphasis mine. This has been the main frustration that myself, and numerous others have had with this process. The republicans have revealed their true nature over these past few months. They only care about the rich. Due to this unmasking I am now a former republican and a lifelong democrat. I am sure there are millions like me. The republicans are in for a surprise come November.

For what it's worth, I don't think either party is capable of creating real jobs. With that said, most people are forced to choose between no jobs/no UE insurance, or, no jobs/UE insurance.

I can't believe that some posters here get so frustrated when people refuse to volunteer themselves up for living in the streets and starving to death. Oh well. At least they are useful for recruiting people to the democratic side.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:59 PM

225 posts, read 547,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiddeyho View Post
Benefits would be good through November, and retroactive to June 2. The vote this afternoon was to begin 30 hours of debate, and will require another vote before it goes to the House, which is expected to approve the measure on Wednesday.---News Services.
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but 24 hours from 2:30 Tuesday is Wednesday @ 2:30 plus 6 hours would make it 8:30 PM on Wednesday.. how would it get to the house for approval after 8:30 PM on Wednesday if they were waiting the 30 hours. This makes no sense to me. It would be at least 9:00 before the House would even vote on it.. are they staying late?

Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 20,527 times
Well the quickest and cheapest way to create jobs for US citizens would be to end the H1B visa program. As far as I can tell there are at least 85,000 foreigners working in the US (btw, there are many exceptions to the 85,000 number that I'm sure increases that number well over 100,000). Most of these jobs would be jobs that any of us would jump at!

This is just one of the well known programs of exporting OUR jobs to other countries. I wonder how many others there are.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:07 PM

115 posts, read 412,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroush View Post
Well the quickest and cheapest way to create jobs for US citizens would be to end the H1B visa program. As far as I can tell there are at least 85,000 foreigners working in the US (btw, there are many exceptions to the 85,000 number that I'm sure increases that number well over 100,000). Most of these jobs would be jobs that any of us would jump at!

This is just one of the well known programs of exporting OUR jobs to other countries. I wonder how many others there are.
hah, you may be on to something. I hate to admit it but my g/f is an Italian national who has lived here 20 years. She's in zero rush to become a citizen. Still, she pays taxes like the rest of us, and she's in a rather niche area for employment.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:10 PM

77 posts, read 204,414 times
[quote=rroush;15121543]Well the quickest and cheapest way to create jobs for US citizens would be to end the H1B visa program. .[/quote

Yes! At my last job, 1/3 of the office was from India/Russia on a H1B visa. It seems that is the case at most companies these days as these workers are very well educated, cheaper and won't leave as they depend on the employed to keep the visa...

They need to end this program.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:14 PM

2,409 posts, read 6,024,827 times
Everyone wish me luck. I'm going to drop off an application for a part-time job at the local Bingo Hall. It'll be a whole 10-20 hours a week. I'm hoping to get an interview fairly quickly, since I'll be there right when they open at 5pm. Maybe if I can get this job, I'll have a better chance of getting a different one, since I'll no longer be unemployed.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:15 PM

354 posts, read 947,366 times
Curious, if anyone can answer this question. Who will be entitled to this latest extension if it does get passed? Does it only apply to recently unemployed as well as people that have been unemployed and exhausted Tier IV? What stipulations or restrictions would prevent if at all being able to receive this extension? Thanks in advance

Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 PM

53,609 posts, read 35,489,483 times
looks like it passed..

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/21/us...cs/21jobs.html

Old 07-20-2010, 02:33 PM

2,409 posts, read 6,024,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
No this article is saying that cloture passed with a vote on the bill expected later tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment