Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,994,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri79 View Post
Oh I do, cause NYS put a stop on my NJ unemployment a couple of weeks ago. I'm just trying to figure out if I'm gonna get to get it again and if this bill passes if will have anything to do with it. Thanks.

I can't imagine NYS not paying EB when its funded again 100%. I think that would help the economy here in NY with people out spending again.
I explained why your EB was stopped when you last posted this question on another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
New Jersey has a "reciprocity rule" for out-of-state residents. That means you can only collect EB from NJ: (1) if the state where you reside also provides EB, or (2) if you are defined as a "commuter" under NJ UI law.

Unless at least one of these criteria is met, then you are only entitled to a maximum of two weeks of EB.

If NY has discontinued EB, that's why your NJ EB has ceased.
As previously posted, it will be up to NYS to determine how they administer any reinstatement of EB if it is again 100% federally funded -- and they have made no announcement at this time of their intention.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
Just seems to me if it were a slam dunk they would have voted on it today.
No one said HR 5618 was a slam dunk. It is simply an additional option.

It was not voted on today because it is not yet eligible for a vote.

HR 5618 has not yet been assigned to a Senate Committee for vetting -- which is a necessary step before it can be introduced on the Senate floor for debate and a vote.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

377 posts, read 590,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
No one said HR 5618 was a slam dunk. It is simply an additional option.

It was not voted on today because it is not yet eligible for a vote.

HR 5618 has not yet been assigned to a Senate Committee for vetting -- which is a necessary step before it can be introduced on the Senate floor for debate and a vote.
I see. Well I hope it's an option they take but I just don't see smooth sailing for it. If it were paid for, or even partially paid for, I could see republicans stepping aside and letting the vote happen. But since it isn't, one would have to expect they haven't had a change of heart over the holiday. Hopefully they'll prove us wrong this week.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
If extended, the last week of my Tier 3 will be the week ending 11/27. Does this mean I will be able to go to T4 (if PA triggered).?
Yes -- that is correct!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:52 PM

81 posts, read 286,099 times
Lightbulb This appears to be old information and not for Today

Wondering if someone can correct this posting, a bit confusing as it is not from today.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ix3623 View Post
please post the latest information here as well as other helpful info (people who called unemployment for eb..what they've been told, etc..)

below was just posted a few minutes ago for today

Stabenow to Introduce Standalone UI Extension Bill

Stabenow to Introduce Standalone UI Extension Bill « The Washington Independent

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,872,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANDJANDS View Post
Wondering if someone can correct this posting, a bit confusing as it is not from today.

thanks
erm MAYBE that's why there's a DATE on top of each post? Just sayin'

Old 07-13-2010, 06:59 AM

125 posts, read 280,648 times
Arizona Senator John Kyl has reinforced the notion that UI is paying people for not working.
From MLive (attribution below)

Kyl reiterated his opposition to extending benefits yesterday, saying it was a "necessary evil" to cut unemployment benefits for out-of-work Americans.

“It’s a necessary evil in a sense. You’d like not to have raise revenue in order to pay people for not working – or not to pay them for not working, but because they can’t get work. You want them to get work so you don’t have to pay them. It’s something the government would just as soon not have to do if it could avoid it."

MLive:Senate vote on federal unemployment extension to come week of July 19

Old 07-13-2010, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,493 times
WTF?! all the fuss about getting legislation passed before the 4th of July recess only to come back and act like nothing happened? they haven't mentioned the unemployment extension at all... I thought it would be priority #1 for Democrats since they used it to bash Republican opposition. I guess it's all politics and we're just pawns. I truly dislike Republicans but I do admire their power to get **** done, whether it's good or bad, at least they do things with their power. F'ing Democrats can't even convince 1 of their own to push a necessary bill. I know Republicans should be blamed for this but they should also mention Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson (NE) whenever they criticize those who oppose it. Maybe shedding more light on that douchebag would bring him to his senses.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM

600 posts, read 1,076,314 times
I think both parties are to blame personally. Instead of doing what is right, they're to busy finger pointing.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:52 AM

61 posts, read 120,577 times
I think I just got the answer from the Ny unemployment website....

SCENARIOS
In addition to the 26 weeks of regular unemployment insurance (UI) benefits (plus one unpaid waiting week), an additional 73 weeks of benefits are currently provided under the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program and the Extended Benefits (EB) program. Each program has different deadlines and, as a result, not all claimants are eligible for the full 73 additional weeks of benefits. Please note that the breakdown provided below is based on timelines/deadlines stated in the current federal legislation, which may change in the future. Also, benefits under EUC Tiers 3 & 4, and under EB are available only when the 3-month average TUR (Total Unemployment Rate) meets required levels (see chart of TUR required levels below).** Currently, the (Mar, Apr, May) TUR in NYS is 8.5%.

so basicly even if the bill is pass, the unemployment rate in NY will have to be at 8.5 for the " Tur", ( a.k.a EB benefits) to extend the cut off dates on the EB benefits. Current unemployment rate in NY is 8.2

Maybe when Census workers star being lay off from their temp jobs the unemployment rate may go up

Damnnn we are screww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment