Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 07:45 PM

306 posts, read 607,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
Reid claims to have made peace with them -- and says he has their votes. Who knows if that's true -- or if it is true, if it will remain so. Afterall, Reid's betrayed them in the past by not making changes in other bills that he'd promised.
Oh lord, this is like a soap opera...These people are nuts..

Old 07-14-2010, 07:49 PM

776 posts, read 1,688,750 times
Quote:
Do you know the position that Reid's Republican opponent has taken on unemployment benefits -- eliminate them.

In a recent interview, Reid's Republican opponent Sharron Angle said that: "what we need to do is make that unemployment benefit go down," as right now, "we're making [people] make a choice between unemployment benefits and going back to work and working up through the ranks of that job and actually building up a good wage again. There are jobs that do exist," concluded Angle. "That's what we're saying, is that there are jobs."

Ezra Klein - Angle vs. Reid -- and Nevada -- on unemployment benefits
In other words...steaming pile of s*** or rotting animal carcass. Tough call for those Nevadans.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:08 PM

11,382 posts, read 19,074,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Oh lord, this is like a soap opera...These people are nuts..
I don't agree with most of what you say on here, but I do with that. Just pass the darned standalone, keep it simple.....

Quote:
Do you know the position that Reid's Republican opponent has taken on unemployment benefits -- eliminate them.

In a recent interview, Reid's Republican opponent Sharron Angle said that: "what we need to do is make that unemployment benefit go down," as right now, "we're making [people] make a choice between unemployment benefits and going back to work and working up through the ranks of that job and actually building up a good wage again. There are jobs that do exist," concluded Angle. "That's what we're saying, is that there are jobs."

Ezra Klein - Angle vs. Reid -- and Nevada -- on unemployment benefits
Between that and her wanting to eliminate the Dept. of Education, Social Security, and Medicare, she makes Sarah Palin look like a liberal, even Michelle Bachmann by comparison (i.e. Bachmann would actually allow abortion for rape and incest, Angle wouldn't). Poor Nevada is caught between a rock and a hard place this election, a clown vs. an extremist.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM

285 posts, read 562,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I don't agree with most of what you say on here, but I do with that. Just pass the darned standalone, keep it simple.....

Between that and her wanting to eliminate the Dept. of Education, Social Security, and Medicare, she makes Sarah Palin look like a liberal, even Michelle Bachmann by comparison (i.e. Bachmann would actually allow abortion for rape and incest, Angle wouldn't). Poor Nevada is caught between a rock and a hard place this election, a clown vs. an extremist.

Quote:
There are jobs that do exist," concluded Angle. "That's what we're saying, is that there are jobs."
Where are they? There not here. I have spent the past four days all over the dept of labor's website and indeed.com. I have sent in one application after the other for jobs that i am qualified to do. I have even made a list of 20 different restaurants that i have contacted looking for a job, If nothing more than washing dishes or busing tables. No one is hiring.

It sounds to me like this woman is another out of touch republican that if let into office will only make things worse.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 PM

22 posts, read 39,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
Where are they? There not here. I have spent the past four days all over the dept of labor's website and indeed.com. I have sent in one application after the other for jobs that i am qualified to do. I have even made a list of 20 different restaurants that i have contacted looking for a job, If nothing more than washing dishes or busing tables. No one is hiring.

It sounds to me like this woman is another out of touch republican that if let into office will only make things worse.

I know! I've checked my local newspaper, indeed.com, job central, and the Gdol website since 2009 and I haven't had any luck as far as jobs. this is getting ridiculous.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 AM

4 posts, read 5,898 times
Quote:
There are jobs that do exist," concluded Angle. "That's what we're saying, is that there are jobs."
They never seems to mention that there's 7 of us unemployed for every one of them ...

Old 07-15-2010, 02:47 AM

42 posts, read 59,071 times
I'm not sure if this is a repost but found this...

Senate Sets Date to Vote on Unemployment Extension: Success Depends on Byrd's Replacement

Old 07-15-2010, 08:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,688,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtd1 View Post
They never seems to mention that there's 7 of us unemployed for every one of them ...
There was one story here in NC about an administrative job for a neighboring city that had something like 209 applicants last year. There's no doubt in my mind that I've applied to jobs that had more than a dozen applicants per. One HR rep for a company even admitted to me that there were "a boatload of applicants" for a particular job that I had applied for. It's incredibly frustrating. Sharron Angle is out of her damn mind for thinking there are plenty of jobs out there for the picking. Over 8.5M people have lost their jobs since 12/07...that is a tremendous clog of people all clamoring for "the scraps" in the job market. It's pathetic.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:36 AM

299 posts, read 906,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAID OFF & WORRIED N GA View Post
You are exactly right. I've tried to get a job in an industry where there is a lot of turnover (restaurants, hotels, retail), but it seems to me that jobs are so precious that no one has the ability to seek more gainful opportunities right now. People need to stop bashing and criticizing the unemployed. There aren't enough jobs out there.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:32 AM

48 posts, read 125,047 times
applied to be an electrician. there where 2000 applicants an they where only accepting 20 new apprentices. Had to take a test an a interview. the ppl with the best scores went to the top of the list. Luckily i scored great an my interview went great too. I was in the top 5 an start work soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment