Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 12:36 PM

776 posts, read 1,685,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryunemployed View Post
WTF?! all the fuss about getting legislation passed before the 4th of July recess only to come back and act like nothing happened? they haven't mentioned the unemployment extension at all... I thought it would be priority #1 for Democrats since they used it to bash Republican opposition. I guess it's all politics and we're just pawns. I truly dislike Republicans but I do admire their power to get **** done, whether it's good or bad, at least they do things with their power. F'ing Democrats can't even convince 1 of their own to push a necessary bill. I know Republicans should be blamed for this but they should also mention Democratic Sen. Ben Nelson (NE) whenever they criticize those who oppose it. Maybe shedding more light on that douchebag would bring him to his senses.
I'm not even willing to blame just the republicans for this. It would be one thing if they all collectively said "heck no, let the unemployed suffer...we're not passing an extension under any circumstances". But that's not the case. In fact, the R's made it pretty clear right from the start that they weren't going to vote in favor of a bill that adds to the deficit, no matter the size. This should come as no surprise to Reid and the dems. Yet, they've continued the typical, "those R's won't pass my bill that has unemployment tied to it...they hate the unemployed!". Yet have those same R's propose a deficit neutral extension, paid with some of the $400B+ left in unused stimulus dollars...and the D's blow it off. God forbid we should sacrifice a few stimulus dollars and the possibility of creating a bunch of "green jobs"...whatever the F they are...to continue to support the unemployed.

When I look at the mess we're in right now, I want to go to the source. And I certainly don't consider the source being the ones currently refusing to add to the deficit to extend unemployment, no. But I consider the source being the ones who have proposed and pumped billions to trillions of economic stimulus into this country, claiming that it will and has saved and created millions of jobs...only to have job growth in the private sector almost entirely stalled.

Having a job means way more to me that the $300 a week I get in unemployment. Surely we need that extension, but without doing anything to stimulate job growth and provide beneficial incentives for private sector companies, large and small, we will continue to remain in the same crappy hole we've been in.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,585 times
You realize your buying into the R's BS? No UI bill has ever been paid for. Its all political games by the R's. They dont have any problems not funding the tax breaks to the rich but the heck with helping the middle class.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM

776 posts, read 1,685,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHGreat View Post
You realize your buying into the R's BS? No UI bill has ever been paid for. Its all political games by the R's. They dont have any problems not funding the tax breaks to the rich but the heck with helping the middle class.
As opposed to the D's BS of capitalizing on the plight of the unemployed by claiming their spending packages/bills will actually stimulate job growth...putting a portion of us, 8 million plus, back to work? I've heard BS from the R's prior to 2008, and I've heard it all coming from those vultures among the D's in the last 16 months...3M-4M jobs saved or created by ARRA...400K jobs created almost immediately after the passage of healthcare reform with 4 million jobs created over the long term. They're all out of touch liars who could care less about us...it all comes down to advancing their agenda and we're the ones being played.

So now we sit, 15 months after the passage of the most comprehensive and expensive stimulus package in our nation's 234-year history, with stalled private sector hiring, record foreclosure/delinquencies, and surging debt...and I'm supposed to pick on just the idiot R's for something they did back when they were in power? Not happening. Nor will I say that the R's haven't contributed to economic disaster we remain in today...they certainly contributed to the problem...but now the opportunistic pigs who have been in power for the past 16 months are rivaling the recklessness of the republicans.

The circus continues...we'll get our extension passed, we'll get all stressed out again because the job market will still suck, and around Christmas time, we'll be right back at it...begging for another extension, when little to nothing has been done, yet again, to stimulate job growth in the private sector.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:43 PM

306 posts, read 605,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
The circus continues...we'll get our extension passed, we'll get all stressed out again because the job market will still suck, and around Christmas time, we'll be right back at it...begging for another extension, when little to nothing has been done, yet again, to stimulate job growth in the private sector.
This is exactly what I've been saying...If it should pass, the whole saga will start all over again in November...then it will be "I have no money for christmas presents for my kids, family, heat, etc."

Old 07-13-2010, 01:46 PM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
This is exactly what I've been saying...If it should pass, the whole saga will start all over again in November...then it will be "I have no money for christmas presents for my kids, family, heat, etc."
I haven't had money for Christmas presents for the last 2 Christmas's already, wont be anything new.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM

61 posts, read 182,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessit771 View Post
November 20th is the cutoff for those who will be moving to T1 from regular benefits.
Ok. Let me see if I have my scenario correct. My regular 26 weeks will end on the week of September 28th. If this extension is passed, I would move to Tier 1 after that week? If that is the case, would I be able to collect all weeks in Tier 1 if nothing is passed after November 20th? Im in Ca. thanks. Hopefully I will be working by November I hope.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM

143 posts, read 225,257 times
You will be able to collect all of tier 1. I was able to mine just ran out. I'm in PA.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,852,619 times
Yes, if the extensions pass so you can move onto Tier 1, then you would continue to collect all of that Tier.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:33 PM

269 posts, read 711,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
As opposed to the D's BS of capitalizing on the plight of the unemployed by claiming their spending packages/bills will actually stimulate job growth...putting a portion of us, 8 million plus, back to work? I've heard BS from the R's prior to 2008, and I've heard it all coming from those vultures among the D's in the last 16 months...3M-4M jobs saved or created by ARRA...400K jobs created almost immediately after the passage of healthcare reform with 4 million jobs created over the long term. They're all out of touch liars who could care less about us...it all comes down to advancing their agenda and we're the ones being played.

So now we sit, 15 months after the passage of the most comprehensive and expensive stimulus package in our nation's 234-year history, with stalled private sector hiring, record foreclosure/delinquencies, and surging debt...and I'm supposed to pick on just the idiot R's for something they did back when they were in power? Not happening. Nor will I say that the R's haven't contributed to economic disaster we remain in today...they certainly contributed to the problem...but now the opportunistic pigs who have been in power for the past 16 months are rivaling the recklessness of the republicans.

You forgot to mention all the GREEN jobs that were supposed to be created too...

Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM

128 posts, read 219,482 times
Gibbs: Senate Likely To Pass Unemployment Benefits Extension Next Week
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment