Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM

377 posts, read 590,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I still find it hard to believe it would/will be this simple.....why did the news talk all about how we need 60 votes and have to wait for Byrd's replacement, etc. then? But I don't believe they'd be talking about it now if they didn't have the votes either......so let's cross our fingers......
Fingers crossed. At the same time it's not really simple though, this should have happened long ago.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:33 PM

11,401 posts, read 19,095,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjca View Post
Fingers crossed. At the same time it's not really simple though, this should have happened long ago.
As I noted in the other thread, I think the 60 votes is somehow still involved and it may be that they got Scott Brown on board to avoid pushing the WV governor or something, based on someone saying he's talking about the bill on CSPAN2 right now.....

Old 07-12-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
As I noted in the other thread, I think the 60 votes is somehow still involved and it may be that they got Scott Brown on board to avoid pushing the WV governor or something, based on someone saying he's talking about the bill on CSPAN2 right now.....
Well he has his own version that is fully paid for. That seems irrelevant to me now though since that has been a non-starter. Maybe he's proposing it anyway or just doing the freaking right thing possibly. That would be nice too.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM

Also waiting for the WV replacement makes them all look bad. "We couldn't work it out so we'll just wait for larger numbers to be on our side in a week."

That's not being in a good light.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Well he has his own version that is fully paid for. That seems irrelevant to me now though since that has been a non-starter. Maybe he's proposing it anyway or just doing the freaking right thing possibly. That would be nice too.
He did announce today that he is changing his "no" vote to "yes" on the financial reform bill, it was big news, so who knows? http://content.usatoday.com/communit...-street-bill/1

But I'm still skeptical that it's going to be this simple, I'm sure the Huffington Post would be cooing all about it rather than post this article just 30 minutes ago:

Unemployment Extension Standoff To Continue For At Least Another Week

That Examiner article diorgirl noted is the only place I've seen anything on this and I believe that site is (almost) like Wikipedia in that almost anyone can post news to it (I think unlike Wikipedia you have to be "qualified" by them though) so maybe the writer got it wrong and it still needs 60 votes. But I'm hoping I'm wrong about that on the basis of: 1) that it is on CSPAN2 right now, and 2) diorgirl has a well-deserved rep for being up on these things even before the mainstream media sometimes.

Quote:
Also waiting for the WV replacement makes them all look bad. "We couldn't work it out so we'll just wait for larger numbers to be on our side in a week."

That's not being in a good light.
While that would look bad, I thought (albeit doesn't look as bad) that they wouldn't let it get past the patriotic July 4 holiday and I was dead wrong......and taking a week's vacation to delay it, I didn't think they'd do that either, but......

Maybe governors are starting to push them about the $10 billion for teacher jobs and $16 billion for Medicare still being proposed......I hear even most Republican governors are ticked off about that (especially the $16 billion, not as much the $10 billion).

Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM

225 posts, read 547,597 times
It's Sherrod Brown. Not Scott.. ??

Old 07-12-2010, 04:43 PM

3,814 posts, read 12,001,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSouthfromNJ View Post
Diorgirl can u please tell us what exactly is in those bills? Is there anything to restore the 100% federally funded EB benefits?
The provisions for the extension of the eligibility cut-off dates for certain federal unemployment benefits are now identical in both bills:
• EUC Tiers extended to November 30, 2010
• 100% federal funding for EB extended to November 30, 2010

Extensions are retroactive to the May/June 2010 cut-off dates in prior legislation. For funding purposes, the unemployment programs are classified as "emergency spending" -- as in previous federal unemployment benefits.

Neither bill extends the eligibility cut-off dates for COBRA premium subsidy or for the $25 weekly FAC payment. An earlier version of HR 4213 did extend the FAC eligibility cut-off date, but that was withdrawn more recently.

The major difference between HR 5618 and HR 4213 is the fact that HR 5618 includes only federal unemployment benefits. HR 4213 includes federal unemployment benefits -- and other programs that Reid wants to get passed. So Reid is trying to hold out for passage of HR 4213.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
But I'm hoping I'm wrong about that on the basis of: 1) that it is on CSPAN2 right now, and 2) diorgirl has a well-deserved rep for being up on these things even before the mainstream media sometimes.
If they are going to wait for the WV vote and they are doing this then today is just political theater. I really hope they are starting to take this more seriously than that.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 PM

77 posts, read 491,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
The provisions for the extension of the eligibility cut-off dates for certain federal unemployment benefits are now identical in both bills:
• EUC Tiers extended to November 30, 2010
• 100% federal funding for EB extended to November 30, 2010

Extensions are retroactive to the May/June 2010 cut-off dates in prior legislation. For funding purposes, the unemployment programs are classified as "emergency spending" -- as in previous federal unemployment benefits.

Neither bill extends the eligibility cut-off dates for COBRA premium subsidy or for the $25 weekly FAC payment. An earlier version of HR 4213 did extend the FAC eligibility cut-off date, but that was withdrawn more recently.

The major difference between HR 5618 and HR 4213 is the fact that HR 5618 includes only federal unemployment benefits. HR 4213 includes federal unemployment benefits -- and other programs that Reid wants to get passed. So Reid is trying to hold out for passage of HR 4213.
is the cut off to progress to tier one still one week before cut off to progress to tier 2

Old 07-12-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lQQkin4fulltime View Post
It's Sherrod Brown. Not Scott.. ??
Oh I see, sorry about that.....since he was one of the biggest supporters of the UI extensions it might just be "political theatre"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment