Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2021, 09:20 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Wow, congratulations! That is very lucky, because there will be a stampede on the vaccine from a couple of million younger folks starting next week, which will probably greatly decrease chances of success.

That's what motivated me to seek out an appt now vs wait for the stampede to hit. I wasn't going to take advantage of my qualifying criteria, but didn't want to spend weeks and weeks trying to get an appt when the flood gates open.

After booking my appt at 3AM, I did check around 6-7AM and there was some availability remaining. This wasn't the case last week at all, so perhaps checking tomorrow AM (at a more reasonable time other than 3AM) might lead to more spots being available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2021, 09:20 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Got my vaccination appointment! Via the pre-registration service. Unfortunately it's not a convenient drive, being all the way in Natick, but at this point, I'll take it!

Old 03-30-2021, 09:22 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
That's great, but you can understand why your comment is being viewed as unnecessarily abrasive.

But that's not what you wrote. Wolfgang's post wasn't to contradict or correct you. It was a heads-up to casual viewers about how to interpret vaccine efficacy. There's no need to get defensive.

Just pointing out the technical correctness of my statement and backing it with some academic credentials where I have the training. If you think that's abrasive, not my problem. My point is that vaccination isn't a miracle cure. The CDC data shows that you can still get infected after you've been vaccinated. It's not a get out of jail free card. If you think it puts a magic COVID-19 force field around you, that's not the case. There's still no data on transmission by vaccinated-but-still-infected people but there's no reason to believe it will be any different than the transmission characteristics of someone who is infected but not vaccinated.

I've had my two Pfizer jabs. I'm not out licking doorknobs and doing Miami Beach spring break. From what I see, the majority of vaccinated people walking around think they're now impervious to the disease. Unless we get to herd immunity, that won't ever be the case.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:47 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That's what motivated me to seek out an appt now vs wait for the stampede to hit. I wasn't going to take advantage of my qualifying criteria, but didn't want to spend weeks and weeks trying to get an appt when the flood gates open.

After booking my appt at 3AM, I did check around 6-7AM and there was some availability remaining. This wasn't the case last week at all, so perhaps checking tomorrow AM (at a more reasonable time other than 3AM) might lead to more spots being available.

Alright! Well, I have some unexpectedly awesome news to report right now too.
I pre-registered about 4 hours after the pre-registration website went live.
About 10 days following my pre-registration, my 60-64 age group became eligible to make the vaccination appointment.
Yesterday was one week past my initial vaccine eligibility date, and I voiced some fears about how long it might take to get an appointment through pre-registration...
BUT! Twenty minutes ago, I got a message from pre-registration service that I could make the appointment... which I did! It is early in am before the end of this week, at my preferred vaccine location (10 min walk from my home). And the vaccine day is an anniversary of something else very important that happened in my life :-).
So, in summary, I got the appointment notice 8 days after I became eligible for vaccine, with the earliest option to get vaccinated tomorrow (ie, day after the notice).

Old 03-30-2021, 11:08 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From what I see, the majority of vaccinated people walking around think they're now impervious to the disease.
Fully vaccinated people are protected against hospitalization or death, so yes, I don't blame them for getting out there. I wasn't a door knob licker to begin with, but I am looking forward getting some human contact and normalcy reestablished.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:19 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Alright! Well, I have some unexpectedly awesome news to report right now too.
I pre-registered about 4 hours after the pre-registration website went live.
About 10 days following my pre-registration, my 60-64 age group became eligible to make the vaccination appointment.
Yesterday was one week past my initial vaccine eligibility date, and I voiced some fears about how long it might take to get an appointment through pre-registration...
BUT! Twenty minutes ago, I got a message from pre-registration service that I could make the appointment... which I did! It is early in am before the end of this week, at my preferred vaccine location (10 min walk from my home). And the vaccine day is an anniversary of something else very important that happened in my life :-).
So, in summary, I got the appointment notice 8 days after I became eligible for vaccine, with the earliest option to get vaccinated tomorrow (ie, day after the notice).
Yep, I had a very similar experience, except today they texted me in the morning to offer an appointment this afternoon. Got Moderna dose#1 in Natick a couple of hours ago, and so far, all has been smooth like buttah. Got my 2nd appointment while I was in the observation period following vaccination, and that'll be April 28th.

Old 03-30-2021, 03:33 PM

17,665 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I wasn't a door knob licker to begin with,

Old 03-30-2021, 04:29 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Fully vaccinated people are protected against hospitalization or death, so yes, I don't blame them for getting out there. I wasn't a door knob licker to begin with, but I am looking forward getting some human contact and normalcy reestablished.
The issue is that vaccinated people though can still carry and spread the virus. If they continue to wear masks for the next couple of months, we might be able to finally end this.

Old 03-30-2021, 05:55 PM

23,564 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The issue is that vaccinated people though can still carry and spread the virus.

But at a much reduced rate, it now looks like.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:07 PM

17,665 posts, read 9,155,986 times
According to the CDC,

CDC Data Suggests Vaccinated Don’t Carry, Can’t Spread Virus

"“Vaccinated people do not carry the virus — they don’t get sick,” Dr. Rochelle Walensky, director of the CDC, told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow on Tuesday. That’s “not just in the clinical trials, but it’s also in real-world data.”

Walensky was referring to a new CDC study that suggests those fully inoculated with the vaccines produced by Moderna and Pfizer don’t transmit the virus."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts