Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2021, 05:21 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We tried to get all our elderly neighbors vaccine appointments. We probably put 40 hours of computer time into it and failed. We’re both very computer literate. I don’t see how anyone 75+ could ever make an appointment. This was a total public health failure in Massachusetts. They should all have been put in a prioritized queue 3 months ago when approval was imminent and it was obvious that there would be rationing.
If they are still driving and ambulatory, from the same article, another potential option... "Harrington reminded selectmen that the state set up a vaccination phone hotline last week through which people who are part of Phase 2 of the vaccine rollout can also sign up to be vaccinated at a state supersite by dialing 211."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 05:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If they are still driving and ambulatory, from the same article, another potential option... "Harrington reminded selectmen that the state set up a vaccination phone hotline last week through which people who are part of Phase 2 of the vaccine rollout can also sign up to be vaccinated at a state supersite by dialing 211."
Last week was FEBRUARY. No planning at all. I’d expect it in rural Alabama. This was total leadership failure.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:51 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Same thing is happening on Cape Cod. No vaccines yet I guess they will eventually be given out at the Melody Tent in Hyannis and some other venue. There are a lot of retired people on Cape Cod.
Yep. A mass vaccine site at Gillette shows the usual view that the state ends at 495.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Last week was FEBRUARY. No planning at all. I’d expect it in rural Alabama. This was total leadership failure.
Just trying to help in case you weren't aware...

Old 02-10-2021, 06:19 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
We tried to get all our elderly neighbors vaccine appointments. We probably put 40 hours of computer time into it and failed. We’re both very computer literate. I don’t see how anyone 75+ could ever make an appointment. This was a total public health failure in Massachusetts. They should all have been put in a prioritized queue 3 months ago when approval was imminent and it was obvious that there would be rationing.
I agree. In at least 2 other states (Ohio, New Jersey) where relatives/close friends in vulnerable groups have been vaccinated, they were able to sign up in advance of when their Phase was officially open. Yes, in some cases the initial time slots were showing way out in March, or even May, but they were at least able to get something on the calendar, and keep looking after the Phase opened to see if they could get in earlier (which they did). The MA system is chaotic and confusing by comparison, and I continue to be alarmed by the large number of open/unclaimed slots (there's hundreds showing at Springfield today, for example).

Old 02-10-2021, 06:21 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Agreed - we went through the exact same process for some elderly extended family - unbelievably frustrating.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:35 AM

The state's Covid-19 site is currently showing a banner that reads "Notice: Due to high demand and constrained vaccine supply, COVID-19 Vaccination appointments are limited. More appointments will be available based on supply from the Federal Government. Appointments will be added on a rolling basis."

Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I meant many schools won't be going back THIS school year. Thought that would have been to folks but I guess not. I do think schools will be back full time in the fall of 2021.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:14 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
What gives you the idea that schools won’t be back to 100% in-person in 2021? Everyone will be vaccinated. Storrow Drive will have rental trucks plugged in the overpasses in late-August like usual. Those dorms will bankrupt everyone if they’re not full of students. Pretty much every college has the same math.
Well..

1) What if they students don't want to be back for whatever reasons? This might open up a can of worms but since covid we haven't had any school violence. Think about the mental health of kids right now and then put them with other kids. Sure some can vent and take things out. I'm sure gym classes will have a ton of energy. But if they start to take things out on each other this won't be good. If a covid case can create the need for isolation due to exposure for a week or two what happens if there is violence? So a virus that has a 97% survival rate (yes survival does not mean the same) causes students to be out but if there is another event then how would anyone be expected to come back?

2) What if the parents don't want them going back? Let's say someone is still working from home. That's a fair amount of loneliness if the kids go back and the parent's are still at home.

3) The lack of diversity has grown. International students are not really coming back to public schools and academia. It could be years before they are able to. If this makes someone the only person of color in school or work for that matter would they want to deal with that or not? I know people personally that do not want to be the token minority.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...try-of-origin/
China - nope
India - nope
South Korea - nope
Saudi Arabia - eh maybe a tad
Canada - Probably ok
Vietnam - nope..

Unless they are from Israel, Bahrain, maybe Serbia and the UK it's going to be much harder to get international students to come back.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...s-tracker.html

Just because we'll be vaccinated does not mean the rest of the world is. As bad as we think things went with COVID we're WAY ahead of others with vaccination.

the other part is how many are going to flock to areas once they are ok. I'd love to travel if it's safe. The UK would be great but in aggregate if it means huge crowds then it becomes a paradox.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...giK/story.html

There's a difference between saying "We're going back" and "We're ALL going back". This is tens of thousands of people.

Obvious academia still wants students so that's why they have to keep allowing for online education if they want to continue to market overseas. If you withdraw from a marketplace sometimes you can't really come back. I hear Packard Bell still sells in Thailand Anyways then students domestically will argue why should I shell out more money for a dorm and yet someone overseas doesn't have to. It gets into an equality issue and they'll continue to allow for online education if you don't want to physically attend.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Effective tomorrow - 'an individual who is accompanying a person age 75 or older to get the vaccine may schedule their own appointment to be vaccinated on the same day.'

https://www.mass.gov/news/baker-poli...w-appointments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts