Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 10:43 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

I'm sure there are men who want to stay home too but I have noticed more men headed back to the office by choice though, not the women. In households it seems to be the men want to get away and they do...the woman then stays remote working with kids. Could be that the man of the house is the bread winner and feels like he needs to show up and get noticed. No one can go into my office building even if they wanted to.

If my office had a better commute and parking and i could go in I probably would have by now to get some quiet. But it's not feasible for me, just easier to stay home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 10:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I just don't appreciate people being the voice of doom about this.
doom...reality...eh, what's the difference?

Old 02-09-2021, 11:05 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
doom...reality...eh, what's the difference?
the reality is people can work from home

Old 02-09-2021, 11:12 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
the reality is people can work from home
...if their bosses authorize it.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:13 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
...if their bosses authorize it.
quite a few already have

Old 02-09-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
quite a few already have
OK then.

Old 02-09-2021, 11:17 AM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Everyone's role is different, though. If you're crunching numbers, you probably don't need to be in as high-touch of a work environment.
It is interesting. I am a numbers cruncher and I feel just as productive 100% WFH as I ever did in any 100% office environment. Pre-COVID I worked for mostly other numbers crunchers and most of them were uncomfortable allowing people to WFH even at 20% time or less. In my current role I am crunching numbers for an operations person and he has absolutely no concern with any of his direct reports being WFH. Pre-COVID it seemed like many finance and accounting departments were not allowed to WFH as the status quo.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:09 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I think the harder reality isn't so much when we get past this but the gap between when we do and when other countries don't. Boston is greatly dependent on immigration and the low birth rate we've had since 2008 and the policies of the past four or so years even precovid prevented immigration. We're going to see school districts close down elementary schools nationwide and start merging.

I think this is more of a harbinger for self driving cars and 5G. No more parking garages, DUI lawyers, an additional room in every single family house, no more ubur (at least by people), far fewer auto parts stores and gas stations etc. Given the announcements of the state along with car companies I don't see internal combustion engines being around by 2040.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
This is all fine if your goal is to move to a society of corporate-androids who stay home all the time. Outside that, this type of scenario removes the human element. How that will affect people over the long run could be terrifying. The dramatic changes in human behavior can be seen from just the last 20 years of tech as it infiltrated society and human development as those raised on tech have become less and less social and interactive. Human interaction is a serious element to be considered. It should also be considered within the organization framework as for many fields, relationships are a BIG deal and can make or break your results. If you think that business or government will run smoothly without emphasis on building and maintaining relationships, you're delusional in my view. Those organizations that understand this will have the upper hand. The world cannot be just broken down into "data" and human relationships can't be effectively built and managed electronically over the long run. If your work revolves strictly around being in a lab, engineering or research where its centered around data, you may not get this. But it's a big deal generally. Even in those industries that are focused on data the organizations are managed by people who depend on human interaction to be successful.

https://www.brainspire.com/blog/what...an-interaction
But we've ALREADY been doing this for decades. ATM's, online shopping, on demand tv/movies, instacart etc. I don't know if you've worked directly with customers but much of the time they just want their stuff and the have other things to do. When I did retail some would "hang around" and act like we were bartenders. I'm not a bartender. Find something else to do. Heck even therapy is online at this point. Ever see Kentucky fried movie? remember the drug store scene? Life isn't like that anymore. There's a difference between Country Time Lemonade commercial slow and sodium pentanol in the dentist office slow. things are faster now.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I think the harder reality isn't so much when we get past this but the gap between when we do and when other countries don't. Boston is greatly dependent on immigration and the low birth rate we've had since 2008 and the policies of the past four or so years even precovid prevented immigration. We're going to see school districts close down elementary schools nationwide and start merging.

I think this is more of a harbinger for self driving cars and 5G. No more parking garages, DUI lawyers, an additional room in every single family house, no more ubur (at least by people), far fewer auto parts stores and gas stations etc. Given the announcements of the state along with car companies I don't see internal combustion engines being around by 2040.

But we've ALREADY been doing this for decades. ATM's, online shopping, on demand tv/movies, instacart etc. I don't know if you've worked directly with customers but much of the time they just want their stuff and the have other things to do. When I did retail some would "hang around" and act like we were bartenders. I'm not a bartender. Find something else to do. Heck even therapy is online at this point. Ever see Kentucky fried movie? remember the drug store scene? Life isn't like that anymore. There's a difference between Country Time Lemonade commercial slow and sodium pentanol in the dentist office slow. things are faster now.
Sure and the effects of this are already horrifying. Our enemies and competitors will seize on this and steamroll right over us.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:52 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Maybe it would get local pols to take domestic net migration seriously if that really happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts