Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2021, 09:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This has been my anecdotal experience as well. Institutions with existing vaccine protocols and infrastructure are distributing the available vaccines to staff with limited issues (MGH perhaps not quite so smoothly as other regionals).

The state apparently left distribution up to local FD/PDs (according to an FF in my town) which, unlike a large regional hospitals, don't have the qualified staff or existing infrastructure. I think this has, rather unsurprisingly, caused a bit of a scramble and A LOT of confusion as these departments try to navigate the logistics.

Hopefully ... hopefully, things can be learned from this and phase 2 and phase 3 rollouts can be much smoother. Like you, I believe when smaller county and town healthcare facilities began to inventory the vaccines most or all of the existing problems go away. Then you're back to basic qualification and gating; i.e., your grandma is gated ahead of you.
Seeing the issue at a hospital a bit smaller than MGH with their 1000 beds and giant outpatient business, they must have to vaccinate 20,000+ people between employees, all the contract people, and physicians. Like any large hospital, it’s not like they have the spare staff sitting around to vaccinate 1,000 people per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 10:12 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Seeing the issue at a hospital a bit smaller than MGH with their 1000 beds and giant outpatient business, they must have to vaccinate 20,000+ people between employees, all the contract people, and physicians. Like any large hospital, it’s not like they have the spare staff sitting around to vaccinate 1,000 people per day.
I realize it's a logistical nightmare, but other large teaching hospitals are seemingly working through their staff at a good clip with few issues. As stated earlier, at UMass non-clinical admin are already receiving their first round if those admin interface with clinical staff or students within the teaching hospital. Not every institution is lagging despite the daunting scale.

I would think a single qualified worker could process a few hundred staff per day, at a minimum. This is pretty basic stuff.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:25 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/08/n...ne-delays.html

This is what I was talking about...

Quote:
Dr. Peter Meacher expected to receive just a small supply of Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine to inoculate his staff at a network of clinics that he oversees in New York City. Instead, 600 doses arrived late last month, far more than he needed.
For two weeks, more than half of the supply sat in freezers. At other clinics in the city, small numbers of unused doses have even been thrown out.
Dr. Meacher said he would like to give the extra vaccine to high-risk patients, but had not for fear of violating strict eligibility rules from the state and city about who can receive it.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:26 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I realize it's a logistical nightmare, but other large teaching hospitals are seemingly working through their staff at a good clip with few issues. As stated earlier, at UMass non-clinical admin are already receiving their first round if those admin interface with clinical staff or students within the teaching hospital. Not every institution is lagging despite the daunting scale.

I would think a single qualified worker could process a few hundred staff per day, at a minimum. This is pretty basic stuff.
Figure 5 minutes per stick, one person can do 12 an hour/96 per 8 hour shift.

Old 01-08-2021, 12:52 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Figure 5 minutes per stick, one person can do 12 an hour/96 per 8 hour shift.
Fair. I was thinking more of a pre-vetted setup, like when public schools would rollout hep or HPV vaccines and the ‘patients’ would roll through with 2-3 workers going ::stick, stick, stick, stick::

Vaccinate a thousand+ student body in a single day with minimal labor.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:03 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
I've heard one thing slowing things down slightly is the consent paperwork needed due to it being EUA. You'd think that would be easy enough to fix like reviewing the terms at home first and pre-printing the paperwork or checking a few boxes on an ipad.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:04 PM

6,126 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
I've heard one thing slowing things down slightly is the consent paperwork needed due to it being EUA. You'd think that would be easy enough to fix like reviewing the terms at home first and pre-printing the paperwork or checking a few boxes on an ipad.
Oh my. Say it ain't so...that would be a shame.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:08 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Oh my. Say it ain't so...that would be a shame.
Take that with a grain of salt, I heard it from a friend who is a PA in a local hospital. Not talking 20 minutes or anything but when you add 3 or 4 minutes to fill out something like this form and multiply it by 2000, 5000, whatever number of people per day it can add up.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:32 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Take that with a grain of salt, I heard it from a friend who is a PA in a local hospital. Not talking 20 minutes or anything but when you add 3 or 4 minutes to fill out something like this form and multiply it by 2000, 5000, whatever number of people per day it can add up.

Yep. Lots of red tape. They monitor you afterwards for any kind of reaction. It's not like getting a flu shot at the CVS which also takes 10 to 15 minutes in my life experience. Plus it's slowed down by people barging in trying to get vaccinated who aren't eligible. "Err, no. You're retired. You don't have a license" and they argue for 20 minutes.

Old 01-08-2021, 01:56 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I thought Mass Vaccination Plans were in our national strategic defense plan? For the 10+ months or so of time they had to plan the distribution, i'm not really impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts