Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 08:42 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You're right, it is sad what constitutes a million dollar house around here in some locations. My wife and I have peers from the South and when they visit (pre-Covid) its a shock to them to see what your money gets you up here, vs the beautiful $250-300K brand new construction, 3500 sq foot homes they have down in Fl, GA, OH, TX and other states.

But, a huge part of that cost difference, as we all know, is location.
Dead horse, but it's also eye of the beholder. To some of us, those new construction, 3500 square foot homes are more often than not mass-produced hideous eyesores. You can also get those new construction McMansions pretty much anywhere in the US, but there's only so many older homes with a personality left to live in, and many of the ones that are left are in the Northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Dead horse, but it's also eye of the beholder. To some of us, those new construction, 3500 square foot homes are more often than not mass-produced hideous eyesores. You can also get those new construction McMansions pretty much anywhere in the US, but there's only so many older homes with a personality left to live in, and many of the ones that are left are in the Northeast.
Prior to the Covid-19 travel concerns, I flew down to Austin for a wedding. While there, I stopped by a friends new build ... yeesh, build quality was dismal. Pressed paper sheathing, horrendous drywall taping masked (sort of) by 'popcorn' spray on both the walls and ceiling, etc. These homes were built in neighborhoods considered 'white collar'.

Had me feeling a bit better about my '80s contemporary with it's blueboard+plaster walls, 2x6 walls + plywood sheathing, and masonry chimney.

There's some real s___ down there.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Agree. The new Colonial style homes that builders put up today all look the same with white trim everywhere, and siding that is some shade of blue or gray. Very cookie cutterish.

Old 01-07-2021, 09:18 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Prior to the Covid-19 travel concerns, I flew down to Austin for a wedding. While there, I stopped by a friends new build ... yeesh, build quality was dismal. Pressed paper sheathing, horrendous drywall taping masked (sort of) by 'popcorn' spray on both the walls and ceiling, etc. These homes were built in neighborhoods considered 'white collar'.

Had me feeling a bit better about my '80s contemporary with it's blueboard+plaster walls, 2x6 walls + plywood sheathing, and masonry chimney.

There's some real s___ down there.
Author Tyler Cowan hinted on that in the Great Stagnation. Basically it stated that Texas has weaker zoning and weaker building code which pretty much means cheaper housing. Sure they can afford more but look what they are getting. I've been to Europe and Asia and frankly if people start talking about some surging economy in China I have actual accounts of electrical boxes mounted to trees, group bathrooms that rivaled fenway parks mens room at its worst, arcade games blocking fire extinguishers, chopsticks that said "already disinfect" etc. now they are increasing regulations to a point but it's going to take a long time. Heck cigarettes were on the dinner menu

Sometimes you can really see the difference in hospitality. Yeah you have your "freedom" and a hotel might allow smoking but then it really looks like someone has been smoking there for 30+ years. I was in Columbia SC years ago and tried walking around. Apparently sidewalk is a foreign word. Even by hotels and restaurants they just assumed you drive everywhere. In Mass and new england most towns are kinda blob like but they don't have much that sticks out or zig zags. Columbia was easily jerry rigged and some places in the midwest are the same as well. Unincorporated areas, special districts etc. it gets odd. Yeah sometimes you can get more for your money but all that glitters is not gold.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:14 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Low quality in new construction is unfortunately very common, even here.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:37 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
#s for Covid were not good yesterday.

This is rather depressing.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:46 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
#s for Covid were not good yesterday.

This is rather depressing.
I agree that they definitely weren't good, but the trends yesterday were actually better than they have been over the last several weeks. Estimated active cases (as high as 84,000 last week) and the percent positive numbers (as high as 8.7% on New Year's Day) trended downwards. They had been trending upwards over the last two weeks. Hospitalizations and deaths were up, but those understandably lag behind case counts. It's way too early to call this a good sign and the numbers themselves are still way too high, but it's better than a continued upward trajectory. Hopefully it continues long enough to be a real trend.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:23 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
The 0-19 age demographic is starting to take the lead as the largest affected group as well.

It is a 20 year spread though, vs 10-year for other age groups. Regardless, I wish the 0-30 age range, which is where the majority of cases are was broken down a little finer to see the most affected ages

Baker just extended the recent restrictions to Jan 24th

Old 01-07-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Low quality in new construction is unfortunately very common, even here.
I don't disagree, but MA codes and higher skilled labor (generalization with some truth) largely prevents new construction from being bottom-barrel.

Of all the problems MA has with housing, build quality of new builds is generally not one of them. There's a big difference between building cheaply (e.g., limiting window opening, vinyl siding) and building poorly (bad workmanship, poor fit and finish, poor efficiency).

Old 01-07-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I agree that they definitely weren't good, but the trends yesterday were actually better than they have been over the last several weeks. Estimated active cases (as high as 84,000 last week) and the percent positive numbers (as high as 8.7% on New Year's Day) trended downwards. They had been trending upwards over the last two weeks. Hospitalizations and deaths were up, but those understandably lag behind case counts. It's way too early to call this a good sign and the numbers themselves are still way too high, but it's better than a continued upward trajectory. Hopefully it continues long enough to be a real trend.
After listening to the 'town hall' for employees of a large regional hospital, my wife and I have scaled back exposure risk ... it's not good.

"See you in June everyone"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts