Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 09:07 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

One of the many reasons why I am incredibly strict personally is because my partner is a perfumer and has both a fragrance line and runs a men's grooming company. Even a month of losing his sense of smell would be detrimental to his business, which employs his parents and an additional 6 employees in a really economically disadvantaged part of upstate NY. If he lost it forever, that would be the end of his businesses, his career, and quite a few people's livelihoods.

The long term impact on people's overall health is still unknown. In a country that can't be bothered with universal healthcare or a robust safety net, a lot of people are going to find themselves in serious trouble. I know of two young, previously healthy people in their 30s who are no longer able to perform their previous jobs 6+ months post-covid thanks to fatigue or difficulty breathing. I know more who are now dealing with medical issues that are life-changing (diabetes, kidney failure, heart issues) that will require long-term, frequent medical care for people who previously only had an annual checkup and the thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands of dollars, a year that goes along with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 09:13 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

The long term impact on people's overall health is still unknown. In a country that can't be bothered with universal healthcare or a robust safety net, a lot of people are going to find themselves in serious trouble. I know of two young, previously healthy people in their 30s who are no longer able to perform their previous jobs 6+ months post-covid thanks to fatigue or difficulty breathing. I know more who are now dealing with medical issues that are life-changing (diabetes, kidney failure, heart issues) that will require long-term, frequent medical care for people who previously only had an annual checkup and the thousands of dollars, if not tens of thousands of dollars, a year that goes along with that.
Absolutely - considering our health care costs that have been spiraling out of control for years, the impact of these health issues will be substantial. It is very unfortunate and shortsighted that we, as a nation, are not considering the economic aspect of this long run increase in expenses when considering the costs vs benefits of lockdowns.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:21 PM

16,410 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Why not consider moving if it’s so bad for you here? Not trying to be rude but you seem to have a lot of complaints about people in this part of the world.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:33 PM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Why not consider moving if it’s so bad for you here? Not trying to be rude but you seem to have a lot of complaints about people in this part of the world.
So everyone who thinks that our nation's experience this year has been disastrous should leave? I notice you are telling a lot of people these days to pack up and move...Thank goodness (for the US and the world) some are staying, because otherwise, the world would be looking at another 4 years (at least) of Trump.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:59 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:

Have you ever been sick in the United States? I don't mean a cold or flu, but truly, life-changingly sick?

If you loved your country, you might take that experience and apply it to making the country better, rather than going elsewhere.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:39 AM

5,113 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Absolutely - considering our health care costs that have been spiraling out of control for years, the impact of these health issues will be substantial. It is very unfortunate and shortsighted that we, as a nation, are not considering the economic aspect of this long run increase in expenses when considering the costs vs benefits of lockdowns.
In order to be considered they have to actually be measured in some form that's not just anecdotal observations of individual cases. You could also say that healthcare costs could be reduced dramatically if the vast majority of Americans who, during non lockdown, did not sit on the sofa, exercise more, don't eat processed foods all day, drink alcohol, and/or smoke and do drugs (as well as drugs pushed by nefarious Big Pharma) but no real effort is directed toward this. All of the above are factors in COVID complications. Americans have much more control over our own health than we take responsibility for. Yet, the lockdowns are making most people even fatter, even more unhealthy and their immune systems weaker as they aren't exposed to the immune boosting power of the environment. Not to mention the widespread overuse of disinfectants. Most studies have shown random lockdowns to have been largely ineffective and extremely detrimental to the economy.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 01-06-2021 at 05:08 AM..

Old 01-06-2021, 05:31 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Seems stereotypical to assume all Italian love food.
I wouldn't exactly say that I'm part Italian. When you have an Empire that's largely based on food rather than actual Land Food becomes part of national identity.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Seems stereotypical to assume all Italian love food.
That would be stereotypical. But I never said any such thing, nor implied it. Stop making things up again.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:03 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
So everyone who thinks that our nation's experience this year has been disastrous should leave? I notice you are telling a lot of people these days to pack up and move...Thank goodness (for the US and the world) some are staying, because otherwise, the world would be looking at another 4 years (at least) of Trump.
I would rather work on fixing things here than leaving. We have a long way to go.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:18 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Have you ever been sick in the United States? I don't mean a cold or flu, but truly, life-changingly sick?

If you loved your country, you might take that experience and apply it to making the country better, rather than going elsewhere.
My whole career, I had gold plated health insurance and long term disability insurance that paid out 60% of my salary until full retirement age. It’s pretty easy when that’s your reality to adopt FYIGM politics and buy into the rhetoric that I don’t want my money supporting those lazy people. It’s pretty astounding what my effective tax rate looked like in 1985 when I first hit 5%er income vs 2005 when I was at my peak career earnings. Other than Social Security and Medicare, the percentage of GDP we spend on social services has dropped considerably. We also stopped spending on infrastructure. The pathetic COVID-19 response in the United States reflects all of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts