Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 12:23 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times

Advertisements

Nah it’s the blue haired Cambridge types who won’t get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 12:36 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It’s more than that. The country isn’t going to die out if some people decide not to get the vaccine. Hopefully most do but again this vaccine seems like it was put together pretty hastily. I know it had to be done, I just hope it works.
Well, most people will survive no matter what, that's true. But over 350,000 Americans have died already and they're continue to die at about 20,000 per week, so this is a real problem. We'll lose more Americans in 1 year to Covid-19 than we lost to 4 years of World War II.

As far as the vaccines go, the Pfizer/BioNTech and the Moderna vaccines have shown outstanding efficacy near 95%, and they've shown very little in the way of side effects of concern. There have been some allergic reactions giving anaphylaxis, but that's been about 10 people out of 3 million recipients so far - very low incidence; while anaphylaxis is serious, none I believe have died so far. About 1 in 100 who get the disease die, and far more are left with ongoing health issues, so it's no comparison, in terms of the risks of taking the vaccine versus the risks of dealing with Covid-19 infection.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:43 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
It seems like people who are anti-vaxers are always hippie liberals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's the Trump supporters who won't get it.
Quote:
Nah it’s the blue haired Cambridge types who won’t get it.

Actually, informal surveys have shown that a large percentage of people from the black and brown communities won't get it. I don't think there are many Trump supporters or hippies in those communities.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:47 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Well, most people will survive no matter what, that's true. But over 350,000 Americans have died already and they're continue to die at about 20,000 per week, so this is a real problem. We'll lose more Americans in 1 year to Covid-19 than we lost to 4 years of World War II.

As far as the vaccines go, the Pfizer/BioNTech and the Moderna vaccines have shown outstanding efficacy near 95%, and they've shown very little in the way of side effects of concern. There have been some allergic reactions giving anaphylaxis, but that's been about 10 people out of 3 million recipients so far - very low incidence; while anaphylaxis is serious, none I believe have died so far. About 1 in 100 who get the disease die, and far more are left with ongoing health issues, so it's no comparison, in terms of the risks of taking the vaccine versus the risks of dealing with Covid-19 infection.
Actually for this country it's closer to 2% who have died, with maybe 30% suffering long term health issues. But that doesn't touch on the economic destruction, businesses and livelihoods destroyed, indirect health consequences, the long term effects on our national debt and solvency as a nation...I'm telling you we have only seen the tip of the iceberg if we don't get a grip on this NOW.

Old 01-02-2021, 12:53 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Actually for this country it's closer to 2% who have died, with maybe 30% suffering long term health issues. But that doesn't touch on the economic destruction, businesses and livelihoods destroyed, indirect health consequences, the long term effects on our national debt and solvency as a nation...I'm telling you we have only seen the tip of the iceberg if we don't get a grip on this NOW.
You don't need to convince me that Covid-19 is a serious national problem that we need to confront. I'll get the vaccine as soon as I am eligible and am encouraging others to do the same. These vaccines look excellent, but they won't do much good if we can't get people at large to actually accept them. Like I said, the encouraging thing is that polls show public opinion moving in the right direction.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:19 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Actually, informal surveys have shown that a large percentage of people from the black and brown communities won't get it. I don't think there are many Trump supporters or hippies in those communities.
A lot of Hispanic people and black men voted for trump.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:39 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
I’ve heard that as well. But it seems like the liberals are heavily encouraging people to get the vaccine and calling anyone who doesn’t get it dumb. Same ol’ song and dance they do.
So now we're generalizing a significant chunk of the population? Nice.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I know several frontline healthcare workers (EMTs who do testing). They all say a sore arm was their main side effects so far.

Get ready for wide spread exaggeration and misinformation (in both directions) regarding the vaccines.

My frontline healthcare friends in Boston hospitals have gotten vaccinated, including two women who were very ill with COVID (no hospitalization, no breathing problems- crushing fatigue) and "recovering at home" for months in the spring.

Old 01-02-2021, 01:50 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
My friend’s partner felt under the weather for about a day post-vaccine (first dose). Low grade fever, some aches. Nothing major.

Old 01-02-2021, 03:31 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
No but typically it takes years to create vaccines. Not months
Create, no. Approve, yes. Approvals usually take years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the vaccines never get full FDA approval since I would think once they do that the Feds lose control of the distribution and the makers can just sell the drug on the open market. By the time they relent on that, nobody will care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts