Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 11:34 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Exactly, that's why it's so obvious the slow playing is intentional.
Uh, no. This was from September...before any approvals even...bragging about how quickly the vaccine was going to be distributed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXDCPo0ZG0w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 12:13 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Anytime the federal government as States and local governments to do something you have to provide some form of funding. Local governments are already doing things and ask them to do more without compensation is not going to work. Even if a town receives funding you'd still have to have hiring to get people hired and to authorize overtime.

Like I said earlier there are some places where it should be easier to simply just bring people to the vaccines rather than vaccines to the people. There are many small towns across the state and across the country where you literally have maybe a handful of people and a health department and that's it. Sure there's a Board of Health that might be elected or appointed but those are largely on paid and are not tasked with having such a responsibility.

We already had a brain drain from government well before covid-19. It. Most funding in a town generally goes towards a school side portion, not health. You can't just take a town accountant and make them a health agent, just like you can't take us Town Clerk and make them the head of facilities, or take the head of a teachers union and make them in charge of vehicle maintenance etc. Of course there's always unions involved in this so you have to negotiate specifically who is going to do what if it over reaches a boundary.

Anybody advocating that we can just hand this off the private sector without any form of a bid is unfounded. Emergencies don't change the laws.

From what I've been reading about Governor Baker is that we haven't had any shortage or distribution issues Massachusetts but I can imagine there were plenty of other areas that didn't take this seriously and as a result they don't have a real comprehensive plan for distribution

Old 12-31-2020, 12:25 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Anytime the federal government as States and local governments to do something you have to provide some form of funding. Local governments are already doing things and ask them to do more without compensation is not going to work. Even if a town receives funding you'd still have to have hiring to get people hired and to authorize overtime.

Like I said earlier there are some places where it should be easier to simply just bring people to the vaccines rather than vaccines to the people. There are many small towns across the state and across the country where you literally have maybe a handful of people and a health department and that's it. Sure there's a Board of Health that might be elected or appointed but those are largely on paid and are not tasked with having such a responsibility.

We already had a brain drain from government well before covid-19. It. Most funding in a town generally goes towards a school side portion, not health. You can't just take a town accountant and make them a health agent, just like you can't take us Town Clerk and make them the head of facilities, or take the head of a teachers union and make them in charge of vehicle maintenance etc. Of course there's always unions involved in this so you have to negotiate specifically who is going to do what if it over reaches a boundary.

Anybody advocating that we can just hand this off the private sector without any form of a bid is unfounded. Emergencies don't change the laws.

From what I've been reading about Governor Baker is that we haven't had any shortage or distribution issues Massachusetts but I can imagine there were plenty of other areas that didn't take this seriously and as a result they don't have a real comprehensive plan for distribution
Not sure how it works in Mass. at the moment, but in Maine all pharmacy techs have been deemed capable of administering the vaccine. Getting it to the small towns is a non-issue.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Anytime the federal government as States and local governments to do something you have to provide some form of funding. Local governments are already doing things and ask them to do more without compensation is not going to work.
And one of the things the state/local governments should be doing is planning and preparing for emergencies, including those of a public health nature, long before one occurs. They already get funding for this through FEMA and a variety of other mechanisms. Believe it or not, the federal government "is already doing things" too. If a state doesn't have funding they are required to make a request for such funding, not just open their mouths like a baby bird in the nest. But at the end of the day it would be nice if state officials are also held accountable for why they are unprepared fiscally or otherwise, since many are also the ones who are wreaking economic havoc. Of course they won't be, because they put on such great theater.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-31-2020 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-31-2020, 01:28 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My wife has told me this has been her most difficult year of teaching. She is in classroom, and has been juggling remote teaching for some students as well on top of that. She works more hours than I do now and has frequently been working well into the evening to prep the remote work students for the next day. Parents never see the prep work that goes into preparing for a day of teaching. It’s to the point where she’s been the most stressed I’ve ever seen her. All she wants to do is go back to normal.

I don’t know a single teacher who is enjoying this school year.
This is what I've been hearing as well and what I was trying to get at with my post. To call teacher lazy and to put them down during this time is very disrespectful to what they are going through.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
This is what I've been hearing as well and what I was trying to get at with my post. To call teacher lazy and to put them down during this time is very disrespectful to what they are going through.

Far milder than what has been happening to police.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:39 PM

23,554 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Kind of the same thing though, and similarly always coming from those who wouldn't make it through one day in either's shoes.

Old 12-31-2020, 01:52 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
But we're talking about teachers. Just because some group or another may have it worse (I don't know if they do), does not invalidate the challenges of the first group. Sheesh.

Old 12-31-2020, 02:15 PM

Quote:
But we're talking about teachers.
You are talking about teachers, and you've been hyperbolically dramatic about a few comments on a web board about laziness. I provided a little bit of perspective.

Quote:
Just because some group or another may have it worse (I don't know if they do), does not invalidate the challenges of the first group. Sheesh.
Yeah, okay. Which rock do you live under?

Old 12-31-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Kind of the same thing though, and similarly always coming from those who wouldn't make it through one day in either's shoes.

I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts