Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 02:24 PM

779 posts, read 876,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My wife has told me this has been her most difficult year of teaching. She is in classroom, and has been juggling remote teaching for some students as well on top of that. She works more hours than I do now and has frequently been working well into the evening to prep the remote work students for the next day. Parents never see the prep work that goes into preparing for a day of teaching. It’s to the point where she’s been the most stressed I’ve ever seen her. All she wants to do is go back to normal.

I don’t know a single teacher who is enjoying this school year.
It's been such a hellish year for teachers and parents.

In our town I feel like things really came to a head right before the 2020/2021 school year started. The spring was really quite a disaster and it honestly was not anybody's fault. Schools were not prepared for in-school learning to stop so abruptly and not resume for the remainder of the school year. And parents were reeling from job-related stress and suddenly had school-aged children at home full-time. Honestly, March - June was EXTREMELY challenging.

So when discussions around what would happen for the 2020/2021 school began (full-time in person vs. hybrid vs. remote), I think emotions were running high. The school board meetings I attended were very tense. Teachers were not feeling supported by the parents and the parents were not feeling supported by the teachers...and nobody wanted a repeat of what happened in the spring.

I think as this school year has moved along, most parents have found their footing with the schedule and have a routine that works relatively well. I also think the teachers are starting to feel more supported by parents--I think many parents went above and beyond over the holidays to show appreciation toward the teachers, which is nice to see.

None of us are happy. Teachers are stressed and exhausted. We as parents are stressed and exhausted...and we are worried about our kids' educations. I do think my first grader is behind--it's hard not to compare her to her older sister who was doing quite a bit more at the same age. But we are all just doing our best. Even if our best is just barely limping along!

I know I'm sure as hell happy to slam the door on this dumpster fire of a year. I'm trying to be grateful for the extra time I had with my kids, for friendships that were forged when it was needed most, and for...well, less traffic. But all in all, it was truly awful. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 03:20 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
This is what I've been hearing as well and what I was trying to get at with my post. To call teacher lazy and to put them down during this time is very disrespectful to what they are going through.
Really. I'll have to pass this on to a friend who is 40, teaching Spanish to second grade at home, and ended up in the E.R. with chest pains from the stress of learning new ways of teaching and his unfailing fear that he wasn't doing a good enough job.

Love how people do not respect teachers and, in the case of personal behavior and beliefs acted on, healthcare workers who are pleading for people to observe public health practices. Appalling and stunning.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:39 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Really. I'll have to pass this on to a friend who is 40, teaching Spanish to second grade at home, and ended up in the E.R. with chest pains from the stress of learning new ways of teaching and his unfailing fear that he wasn't doing a good enough job.

Love how people do not respect teachers and, in the case of personal behavior and beliefs acted on, healthcare workers who are pleading for people to observe public health practices. Appalling and stunning.
One outcome of this whole disaster, is that the true colors of many have come to light (in my own sphere and society likewise). While it's often disappointing if not disheartening to see the weakness, moral failure and lack of judgement in those who I previously had more faith in; in a sense it's better I find that out sooner than later.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
One outcome of this whole disaster, is that the true colors of many have come to light (in my own sphere and society likewise). While it's often disappointing if not disheartening to see the weakness, moral failure and lack of judgement in those who I previously had more faith in; in a sense it's better I find that out sooner than later.

Yes. And a lot of we learn is a deal-breaker for that relationship, I've found.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:51 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Agreed, this year has shown who is NOT good in a crisis, who does NOT have any interest in their community.

However, the inverse is true, by ten-fold. I’ve seen so much grace, determination, hustle, compassion, grit and plain old decency displayed by friends, colleagues and strangers. So there’s that, at least.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Agreed, this year has shown who is NOT good in a crisis, who does NOT have any interest in their community.

However, the inverse is true, by ten-fold. I’ve seen so much grace, determination, hustle, compassion, grit and plain old decency displayed by friends, colleagues and strangers. So there’s that, at least.

I do hope you're right about the ten-fold!

Old 12-31-2020, 05:23 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post

Well said, I completely agree.

Old 12-31-2020, 06:30 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis set up vaccine distribution in his state as a Darwinian competition between senior citizens for too-few doses. Old folks are camping out overnight in lines of lawn chairs and fights break out after dark as people try to cut in lines.

https://apnews.com/article/public-he...e554dac055bff6

Old 12-31-2020, 07:10 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Just saw news coverage on Florida’s distribution. Wow. Traffic backups for miles and huge crowds. Seems like common sense to NOT distribute it that way.

But then again it’s Florida.

Old 12-31-2020, 07:24 PM

943 posts, read 409,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis set up vaccine distribution in his state as a Darwinian competition between senior citizens for too-few doses. Old folks are camping out overnight in lines of lawn chairs and fights break out after dark as people try to cut in lines.

https://apnews.com/article/public-he...e554dac055bff6
Considering how scientists managed the scientific part in record speed (which, really, is the true miracle of 2020) - the distribution part should not have been the limiting factor, with a large inflow of money and logistical support in advance. But of course we have to fail at that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts