Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 08:03 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

the other part on this is the survivors. Even assuming the grogginess goes away there's reports of a lack of being able to smell and taste. Now this might not be considered that big of a deal with sight and sound but consider what might happen

Fire fighter doesn't take the vaccines. he gets it but loses his ability to smell. He goes to a fire and he's the only the that can't smell the natural gas.

Food inspector for a company doesn't smell or taste something raw with the food and it passes inspection

Elderly woman in a house cannot smell the wood rotting in her window sills and they gradually fall apart.

If millions of people can no longer taste food how much is that going to have ramifications on bars and restaurants? Texture is one thing but taste is another. Without taste all beers are pretty much the same. I just had a prime rib and it was great. I upped my cooking abilities dramatically in the past year. Sous vide and instapot especially. If you never tried sous vide it adds to taste quite a bit.

A long time ago I was sick and lost a sense of taste but got it back quickly. If this takes years who is going to go out to any restaurant for tasteless food? Soda then becomes just carbonated water. Think of all the high end foods and spices that would drop in price. Ever see the price of saffron? Truffles? Kobe beef etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 08:22 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Read good one the other day about how the reason the vaccine was developed quickly is because the Aliens helped us out. The vaccine is a way to genetically manipulate our DNA.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:24 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yesterday, the state rolled out an interactive dashboard for Covid-19 reporting, done in Tableau. Before, this was produced as static PDF reports. Since it's just been rolled out, some initial issues won't be surprising.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...onse-reporting
Does C-D allow for the embedding of dashboards like this? It'd be great if we could the dashboard embedded on the first page in this thread. The URL for the visualization (https://public.tableau.com/views/MAD...device=desktop) should remain the same, so the updates would appear automatically every time it's updated. You can get the embed code right from the Mass.gov page.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Tableu visualizations. I think they're far more effective than a PDF and this is one is much more intuitive than the static displays.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:11 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Does C-D allow for the embedding of dashboards like this? It'd be great if we could the dashboard embedded on the first page in this thread. The URL for the visualization (https://public.tableau.com/views/MAD...device=desktop) should remain the same, so the updates would appear automatically every time it's updated. You can get the embed code right from the Mass.gov page.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Tableu visualizations. I think they're far more effective than a PDF and this is one is much more intuitive than the static displays.
Agreed - this new dashboard is not only nicer looking, it allows more flexibility in exploring the data. Also, since the charts are generated dynamically from the data, they *might* be updated more frequently, e.g. perhaps daily instead of weekly, possibly even real-time.

I am not very deep on City-Data's capabilities for posts, but I don't think we can post arbitrary HTML here. I believe the place to ask this kind of meta-question where it might get the attention of the admins would be here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

Old 01-05-2021, 10:18 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Read good one the other day about how the reason the vaccine was developed quickly is because the Aliens helped us out. The vaccine is a way to genetically manipulate our DNA.
While the people who initiate these tales are obviously to blame, when it comes to information consumers, certain people seem to just prefer conspiracy explanations to mainstream ones. There is no talking to these people.

P.S. I heard the aliens can't reprogram you if you're wearing a face mask

Old 01-05-2021, 10:57 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
While the people who initiate these tales are obviously to blame, when it comes to information consumers, certain people seem to just prefer conspiracy explanations to mainstream ones. There is no talking to these people.

P.S. I heard the aliens can't reprogram you if you're wearing a face mask

Occam's Razor

The simplest answer: is obviously aliens.

P.S. I heard that aliens are getting my Soros bucks.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:35 AM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
the other part on this is the survivors. Even assuming the grogginess goes away there's reports of a lack of being able to smell and taste. Now this might not be considered that big of a deal with sight and sound but consider what might happen

Fire fighter doesn't take the vaccines. he gets it but loses his ability to smell. He goes to a fire and he's the only the that can't smell the natural gas.

Food inspector for a company doesn't smell or taste something raw with the food and it passes inspection

Elderly woman in a house cannot smell the wood rotting in her window sills and they gradually fall apart.

If millions of people can no longer taste food how much is that going to have ramifications on bars and restaurants? Texture is one thing but taste is another. Without taste all beers are pretty much the same. I just had a prime rib and it was great. I upped my cooking abilities dramatically in the past year. Sous vide and instapot especially. If you never tried sous vide it adds to taste quite a bit.

A long time ago I was sick and lost a sense of taste but got it back quickly. If this takes years who is going to go out to any restaurant for tasteless food? Soda then becomes just carbonated water. Think of all the high end foods and spices that would drop in price. Ever see the price of saffron? Truffles? Kobe beef etc.
Even at the individual level, loss of taste and smell is quite risky. Can't smell natural gas coming from your oven, or spoiled food. Adequate nutrition intake becomes a chore, which may have implications in the long run for survival (and the medium run for the elderly). It is far from being only a quality of life issue.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:48 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Even at the individual level, loss of taste and smell is quite risky. Can't smell natural gas coming from your oven, or spoiled food. Adequate nutrition intake becomes a chore, which may have implications in the long run for survival (and the medium run for the elderly). It is far from being only a quality of life issue.

My partner's father has lost his taste. Not from covid, but from an oral cancer. Heftier Italian widow... food was one of his great joys... he has lost 60# the past year. Now, probably better for his heart. But he's an elderly widow... I mean, the loss of joy is rough, especially in a rather traditional Italian food is love family.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:10 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
My partner's father has lost his taste. Not from covid, but from an oral cancer. Heftier Italian widow... food was one of his great joys... he has lost 60# the past year. Now, probably better for his heart. But he's an elderly widow... I mean, the loss of joy is rough, especially in a rather traditional Italian food is love family.
Seems stereotypical to assume all Italian love food.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:42 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

This is a great site. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts