Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2020, 05:54 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Small businesses unfortunately are left to dry if a major shutdown happened in November. The US was caught so unprepared that our federal, state, and local government levels could not give adequate aid and with major disagreement at the federal level and throughout the country, we will not be receiving adequate aid anytime soon. That is why our businesses are forced to operate just to survive or else they go bust and we'd have yet another wave of angry, unemployed citizens. That is also why the pandemic is acting like a seesaw with regions swapping places in terms of high numbers of cases. In the spring it was the Northeast and California, in the summer it was the South, in the fall it was the Midwest, now it's back to us and California. There has been no nationwide agreement on how to mitigate this virus and no nationwide plan on how to support local businesses in danger of collapse. I agree that the smartest thing to do is act fast with a shutdown but on the other hand how else can we assist our local businesses. My local barbershop used to be thriving before the pandemic but now there's hardly any customer. Most times I'm the only one in there and I can tell from the miserable look on my barber's face that times are really tough right now. We as a nation and society spent too much time not planning the economy properly, instead we continued to milk it as if the good times could last forever, and we reaped what we sowed.

The other sad thing on this is the CARES act funding might have some unspent. Between the grant and procurement process it can take awhile. Some areas might be leaving millions if not tens of millions behind.

I overdid it on the gym and thought I strained a tendon. Valarian helps. I'll be bummed if the gym closes again but all the better I guess.

On a grander scale of things this distracts us from everything else. The Turkey vs Russia thing with Armenia is largely due to that Russia can't keep the peace as they are dealing with this. I'm all for working from home but how much innovation is really being done? How many doctors visits are being displaced? How many factories have downtime (Tesla taking a few weeks). How much more alcoholism and drug abuse is going on and don't even get me started about protecting children. Teachers are mandated reporters and the whole "stranger danger" thing was bs. My girlfriend is a teacher and there's been a rather interesting debate about if students must turn their cameras on. Those saying no act as if seeing someones house is a violation and that it's somehow shameful to be poor. I'm pretty sure the teacher knows who is and who isn't after awhile. If kids don't show then the teacher is just talking to blank screens. There's been a few cases of abuse already reported by teachers in the news.

Then there's the global trade deals, infrastructure, immigration etc. I would argue the last major world event to have this much of a cost economically and socially was probably world war 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 05:54 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
This is an online calculator developed by researchers at Johns Hopkins that is designed to assess your risk of dying from Covid:

https://covid19risktools.com:8443/riskcalculator

Old 12-15-2020, 02:28 AM

17,743 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Boston Medical Center staff celebrate vaccine.

(turn on sound)

https://twitter.com/KateWalshCEO/sta...08017038856192

Old 12-15-2020, 06:02 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
This is an online calculator developed by researchers at Johns Hopkins that is designed to assess your risk of dying from Covid:

https://covid19risktools.com:8443/riskcalculator

0.02% chance of Death. Guess I’m going to Disneyworld. (Just kidding)

Old 12-15-2020, 06:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
0.02% chance of Death. Guess I’m going to Disneyworld. (Just kidding)

I'd rather face the odds of death than have to suffer through Disneyworld. Not kidding.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:41 AM

779 posts, read 877,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'd rather face the odds of death than have to suffer through Disneyworld. Not kidding.
Haha, I have a 0.01% chance of death and I would also rather chance that than Disneyworld. My kids loved it there, but I was like "soak this in kiddos, because mama's never coming back!"

Old 12-15-2020, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I'm right there with you actually.

I'm fortunate that my kids have no desire to go there at all.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:15 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Haha same here. I'm 0.03%. I also filled it in for my childhood suburban hometown and it dropped to 0.02%, so location definitely factors in.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:41 AM

BTW, update on my MIL is that her symptoms are very mild. Headache, and minor head cold. That's about it. Her last go around, by this point she was already experiencing major symptoms and had already made a trip to the ER seeking help. If this was any other year, it would be akin to just a minor cold. Lets hope it stays this way.

Anyway, I've been browsing social media ever since the vaccine released and it's amazing the amount of misinformation out there. The amount of mistrust and misinformation I've read these past few days makes me shake my head, and unfortunately some of it seems politically motivated, and some of it is crackpot conspiracy theories. Some also feel once you have Covid that you are immune for life, therefore don't need the vaccine. See above as to my thoughts to that. I've also seem shaming of people who publicly state they are going to get the vaccine. It's just amazing.

Anyway, given this distrust and almost sabotage, I think vaccine rollout is going to be an issue in this country.

Old 12-15-2020, 08:51 AM

448 posts, read 282,523 times
Glad shes doing better.

Vaccine rollout will be an issue for sure. They will run out. There will be riots. There will be looting. Yeah, I think that. I do.

I hope everyone is able to get a dose of it, for sure. I hope, eventually, the numbers go down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts