Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 12:05 PM

448 posts, read 282,292 times

Advertisements

I dont know anyone flying right now - personally, or for business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 12:25 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
but the airports/airlines aren't just accommodating people who NEED to travel. Plenty are still going on vacations. We saw how many people went to other places on Thanksgiving and the same thing will happen at Xmas.
It’s interesting that you find it so surprising that people are acting in a way that is in opposition to public health guidelines...

Old 12-11-2020, 12:27 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
It’s interesting that you find it so surprising that people are acting in a way that is in opposition to public health guidelines...
You work in a restuarant

Old 12-11-2020, 12:31 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
You work in a restuarant
Cantabridgienne has to work to pay bills. Kids don't have to play hockey nor does Auntie have to visit.

A few days ago, didn't you say you were leaving this discussion?

Old 12-11-2020, 12:33 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Comes down to the "personal choice" that many people argue so much for. People can make intelligent decisions for themselves as to what they need to do to stay safe without having to wait for someone to tell them if they can, or cannot do it.

Another example. Disneyland is open. Nothing would stop someone right now from hoping on a plane, booking a hotel, and spending a week at Disneyland. Should you do that? Obviously people have different opinions.
Actually, Disneyland is closed as it's in CA. Disney World is open but under self-imposed restrictions. If it were up to the state, DW would be straight out.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:36 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
You work in a restuarant
I work in the industry, yes. Ive not been around indoor diners. I’ve also not been indoors with anyone but my SO without a mask on since March. Neither my partner nor I can afford to get sick-literally-and we both feel responsible for the well being of our colleagues and guests.

When you order takeout or delivery, do you think the people who provided the food are being irresponsible?

Old 12-11-2020, 12:45 PM

Nope I'm not leaving the discussion. Amazed at the hypocrisy here.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:45 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Unfortunately I do know of someone that flew to another country to celebrate their anniversary. Left yesterday in fact. No qualms about going either. "But it's our anniversary we always go away"

All of our business air travel has been suspended unless a dire emergency with approval from a VP. I actually don't know of anyone within the company that has travelled. I haven't seen my Boss in a year (based in CA).

I do miss travel (by air) for business, but I hate flying so i'm ok with it. I already know when things get back to normal, i'll need to head to Japan and Malaysia. I will say that with the infrastructure that's been put in place with various vendors and such, I may not need to travel as much in the future. Now, we can do a lot more remotely than we could a year or so ago. This week, I've been working to help set up specialized equipment located in asia by remoting in t the machine and doing video conferences with counterparts on site. I'd just rather do this in the future vs fly there for a week. It's much less of a interruption in family life for me to be in a meeting at 10pm-midnight than to be gone for a week. Obviously this would be different for a person in a customer-facing, or sales role.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 12-11-2020 at 12:53 PM..

Old 12-11-2020, 01:08 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If you do do that, I've been told (by restaurant industry friends) to avoid using the apps like GrubHub and DoorDash and order direct from the restaurant and pick it up (if no in-house delivery exists). With the fees paid out to the app programs, they might end up getting 70% of their total cost and no profit once they get paid out, which might be a month or so down the road.

So I've been told
Actually I have heard that from a number of sources. Food delivery isn't new by a long shot. there are some local delivery services. I know some restaurants that have reserved parking for pickup, others that have you call them outside when ready for pickup etc. There's a range of restaurants in these respects. I've heard from one that if it wasn't for him owning the building he would have been out of business in 2008 let alone today.

I think what the feds should have done would be to assure the property taxes on commercial properties would be taken care of. that way it reduces the amount of rent for apartments and businesses. Not free rent mind you but this would lower potentially commercial rents temporarily. This would encourage landlords to at least partially cut the rent rather than say "no evictions" months back creating a larger problem.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:17 PM

I've seen numerous people on facebook/instagram posting pictures while on vacations that they needed to take a plane to get there. Also a few indoor weddings/dress rehearsals/baby showers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts