Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2021, 11:32 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/polit...vid/index.html

This is going to lead to further confusion. The point of vaccination is not prevent catching it but to prevent dying from it. If the vaccination attempts lower the death rate and ultimately it should that is the primary goal.

Now it's some might argue is that why should we have a vaccine for something if we didn't catch it and we're relatively healthy to the point where we're probably not going to die from it. The argument for that of course though is that those that are not as healthy can still potentially die from it and unfortunately these statistics keep creeping lower and lower two people that have lower immunity systems.

I drive my car and I wear a seatbelt. I don't have to be told by a police officer to wear my seatbelt because I've actually seen car accidents. I've never been at fault for any car accident I've only had two one of which I was in my car. Likewise with this once I'm able to get the vaccine I will get it. If I get coronavirus after getting the vaccine while then I'll just work at home for a while.
Call it right or wrong, but here is my reality. As one who is not in any sort of high risk group, my primary motivation has been protecting others as well as the economy and not further straining the healthcare system. To say that this has not inflicted pain on myself and those around me, would be an understatement. However, with the vaccination underway there WILL at one point come a time when the majority of the country will have had the opportunity to receive one if they choose to. While I respect one's personal healthcare choice to not, at that point there is going to be a big shift in my priorities as far as "who" I watch out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 04:15 PM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
I just read that Congressman Steve Lynch has the virus despite having received 2 doses of the vaccine and subsequently testing negative.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:33 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I just read that Congressman Steve Lynch has the virus despite having received 2 doses of the vaccine and subsequently testing negative.
Two posts ago?

Old 01-31-2021, 12:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/30/polit...vid/index.html

This is going to lead to further confusion. The point of vaccination is not prevent catching it but to prevent dying from it. If the vaccination attempts lower the death rate and ultimately it should that is the primary goal.

Now it's some might argue is that why should we have a vaccine for something if we didn't catch it and we're relatively healthy to the point where we're probably not going to die from it. The argument for that of course though is that those that are not as healthy can still potentially die from it and unfortunately these statistics keep creeping lower and lower two people that have lower immunity systems.

I drive my car and I wear a seatbelt. I don't have to be told by a police officer to wear my seatbelt because I've actually seen car accidents. I've never been at fault for any car accident I've only had two one of which I was in my car. Likewise with this once I'm able to get the vaccine I will get it. If I get coronavirus after getting the vaccine while then I'll just work at home for a while.
If the vaccine doesn’t make people immune, it still has a high transmission rate. It will eventually mutate to where the vaccine doesn’t prevent people from getting seriously ill and dying. We go back to February 2000 where we have to lock everything down.

We want vaccines that provide immunity so the transmission rate stays below 1.0. It’s pathetic that we don’t have that data on the two mRNA vaccines.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:27 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Apparently there was anti-vax protestors at Dodger Stadium.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:15 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
...and anti-maskers and Covid deniers. From KTLA:

A post on social media described the demonstration as the “SCAMDEMIC PROTEST/MARCH.” It advised participants to “please refrain from wearing Trump/MAGA attire as we want our statement to resonate with the sheeple. No flags but informational signs only.

“This is a sharing information protest and march against everything COVID, Vaccine, PCR Tests, Lockdowns, Masks, Fauci, Gates, Newsom, China, digital tracking, etc.”

Old 01-31-2021, 12:15 PM

18,726 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Yes, and I read that they blocked access and it had to be shut down. I have no respect for this kind of thing and will be furious if it happened to me.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:35 PM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Yeah, that was disturbing, but it was a relatively small number of kooks, less than 50 I think, and they didn't hold things up for long.

Old 01-31-2021, 03:54 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
...and anti-maskers and Covid deniers. From KTLA:

A post on social media described the demonstration as the “SCAMDEMIC PROTEST/MARCH.” It advised participants to “please refrain from wearing Trump/MAGA attire as we want our statement to resonate with the sheeple. No flags but informational signs only.

“This is a sharing information protest and march against everything COVID, Vaccine, PCR Tests, Lockdowns, Masks, Fauci, Gates, Newsom, China, digital tracking, etc.”
This is obnoxious. They call the rest of us "sheeple", they pretend to be normal people, they take it upon themselves to control the rest of us. Who do they think they are? and don't they have anything better to do? The only thing I'd agree to in that list is that I don't like the Chinese government either, but no one does.

Old 01-31-2021, 05:53 PM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
There are plenty of examples throughout the course of human history about the importance of Public Health. Typhoid Mary comes to mind. If you could get a DeLorean up to 88 miles an hour and give that lady a bottle of Purell plenty of lives could have been saved. I have family in the restaurant business and for the heck of it I took ServSafe. I also read about the account of Chipotle Grill and their E coli breakout. The logistics of the sourcing of everything for a restaurant to be mind-boggling and health is vital. With Chipotle they didn't know whether it was rice or beans or beef whether that was a point of origin or whether that was the the midpoint.

I'm not afraid of dying of the coronavirus. But having said that I don't want to contribute to somebody else dying of it. I work with people some of which are in the 60s and 70s. For a number of years I had a neighbor that was nearly 80..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts