Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2021, 06:38 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Yes, which is why I’m suggesting cigarette smoking has reached a ‘floor’ which can not easily be lowered by slapping further taxation or penalties. Those still consuming cigarettes are either deeply addicted or willfully ignoring the health impacts.

IMO, your idea of penalizing lifestyle choices seems reasonable, but I think it’s a rather disastrous way to distribute vaccines/healthcare. Introducing anything which attempts to gate via ‘virtuous living’ quickly becomes a biased crapshoot. Who’s more deserving of a Covid-19 vaccine: an ICU RN who smokes 2 packs a week and is the primary care taker of a disabled husband, or an underemployed single man with a rape charge who consumes kale smoothies and works out daily? Multiply this by 6+ million people in MA. Have fun playing God.
So then we should penalize poor people? All their bad life decisions land them in COVID-19 hotbeds in the poor cities.

Signed,
God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2021, 06:39 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Like thats a bad thing.

Hard pass from me.
Our only surefire ticket to return to normalcy, and people like you will pass on it. Go figure.

Old 01-25-2021, 04:33 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So then we should penalize poor people? All their bad life decisions land them in COVID-19 hotbeds in the poor cities.

Signed,
God
Just because people are lower class doesn't mean they always make bad decisions. But one thing they can't do generally, is hide in their homes all day. Similarly, if the elites who run the world (and their dumb sycophants) made good decisions, the world wouldn't be nearly as screwed as it is.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 01-25-2021 at 05:37 AM..

Old 01-25-2021, 06:34 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Just because people are lower class doesn't mean they always make bad decisions. But one thing they can't do generally, is hide in their homes all day. Similarly, if the elites who run the world (and their dumb sycophants) made good decisions, the world wouldn't be nearly as screwed as it is.

Right, but if they'd made the right life decisions, they would have attended Harvard and they'd now be living in a big house telecommuting with InstaCart and the Amazon van in their gated driveway daily.

I'm not sure you're picking up the sarcasm but this is exactly the Libertarian position.

God, out.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:58 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Right, but if they'd made the right life decisions, they would have attended Harvard and they'd now be living in a big house telecommuting with InstaCart and the Amazon van in their gated driveway daily.
I'm not sure you're picking up the sarcasm but this is exactly the Libertarian position.
God, out.
Who are the Libertarians here that are espousing this position?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:08 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Now I'm all for vaccines but this is going to be a harder sale if we have to have booster shots for each variant.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/covi...an-strain.html

Old 01-25-2021, 08:18 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Now I'm all for vaccines but this is going to be a harder sale if we have to have booster shots for each variant.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/25/covi...an-strain.html
I am glad they are working on that!

Old 01-25-2021, 08:19 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
"Merck Stops Developing Both Of Its COVID-19 Vaccine Candidates: Results of Phase 1 clinical studies showed that the two vaccine candidates – known as V590 and V591 – 'were generally well tolerated, but the immune responses were inferior to those seen following natural infection and those reported for other SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 vaccines,' Merck said in a statement about its decision."

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ine-candidates

Old 01-25-2021, 09:36 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Slow vaccine rollout in MA was highlighted over the weekend. Paper-based systems, really?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...ation-rollout/

Old 01-25-2021, 10:46 AM

448 posts, read 282,047 times
Slippery slope here as well.

I was a fan of Gov. Baker, I was... I am, still, kind of...

I dont like the way the rollout of vaccines is going. It seems slow. It seems like we are behind a lot of other states.

But then I also can't figure out how the state can monitor who gets it, when they get it, when they get #2, etc...

You need a piece of paper that says you go it? What if its copied, or falsified or anything....

There seems to be so many ways to skirt the system, the policies... It just can'[t be done willy-nilly. I get that.

But I have no idea (nor should I really) how they can figure out how to do this the right way - perhaps just get CVS/Walgreens to do all the vaccines, and shop 1000 to every store. Something like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts