Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2021, 07:20 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ccine-n1255744

Seems unnecessary but Biden bought another 100M doses of both Pfizer and Moderna. So that covers the entire adult population without even including what's been bought for J&J and any other possible vaccines. You're not going to get 100% of the adult population to take the vaccine obviously, so I don't know what they will do with it. Keep in reserve maybe?

I don't get the "unnecessary". COVID-19 has cost the country trillions of dollars. Why would anyone grumble about spending a few billion on vaccines that turn out to not be needed? We still don't know if the J&J vaccine is effective. We don't know if the mRNA vaccines are going to require frequent boosters. Seems like cheap insurance to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2021, 07:44 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't get the "unnecessary". COVID-19 has cost the country trillions of dollars. Why would anyone grumble about spending a few billion on vaccines that turn out to not be needed? We still don't know if the J&J vaccine is effective. We don't know if the mRNA vaccines are going to require frequent boosters. Seems like cheap insurance to me.
Because it's going to be a burden to hold on to it because of the storage requirements.

J&J I think is a lock to get approved. If the US were to buy vaccines to donate to other countries I think J&J would be what they would buy.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Because it's going to be a burden to hold on to it because of the storage requirements.

J&J I think is a lock to get approved. If the US were to buy vaccines to donate to other countries I think J&J would be what they would buy.
We know nothing about the effectiveness data yet. Personally, if I were picking between a 70% effective vaccine and a 95% effective vaccine, it’s a no brainer. You can’t say anything useful about J&J until they release their data.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:26 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We know nothing about the effectiveness data yet. Personally, if I were picking between a 70% effective vaccine and a 95% effective vaccine, it’s a no brainer. You can’t say anything useful about J&J until they release their data.
The relaxed storage requirements plus one shot make it pretty appealing actually. Probably even more appealing as a potential booster because of it being much cheaper.

Old 01-27-2021, 08:27 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm not sure how old you are, but anyone 75 or older can begin signing up for the vaccine beginning today. Here are the locations and ways to sign up: https://www.mass.gov/covid-19-vaccine
Yes, but it seems like a cluster so far, from early indications. Not to stereotype, but to make seniors go through this and not have a simple, centralized system is ridiculous. Heck, I'd be frustrated!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...n-appointment/

Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:

O for the love of God. Was the Yucca plant a bad idea?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucca_...ste_repository

Many council on aging and health departments have vaccines in refrigeration. Why? Well incase it is needed. If all healthcare comes from hospitals that bottlenecks it.

Old 01-27-2021, 09:46 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yes, but it seems like a cluster so far, from early indications. Not to stereotype, but to make seniors go through this and not have a simple, centralized system is ridiculous. Heck, I'd be frustrated!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/01/...n-appointment/
Agreed. It looks like they're planning to coordinate with local councils on aging and other groups, but it should have been done beforehand. Elder Affairs and DPH fall under the same Health and Human Services umbrella, no real reason for the lack of coordination from Day 1.

I realize it's not completely apples to apples, but they managed a relatively centralized system with the Project Beacon testing sites. I'm not sure why the same (or similar) couldn't have been done with the vaccine (with an added "warm line" so that seniors could call instead of logging online). I imagine we'll get there eventually, but I'm somewhat surprised that it wasn't better organized from the start. We've been anticipating a vaccine roll out for more than 10 months now; they weren't caught by surprise.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The relaxed storage requirements plus one shot make it pretty appealing actually. Probably even more appealing as a potential booster because of it being much cheaper.

Again, until we get the data back on J&J, the conservative and appropriate thing to do is ensure the supply of the vaccines we have. It's cheap money compared to the enormous costs of the pandemic. If Pfizer and Moderna really are 95% effective, we now have enough supply to end the pandemic. By summer, our problem isn't vaccine supply, it's people who refuse to get vaccinated.

Do the math. Pfizer is $19.50/dose. Call it $40 per person. 300 million people. $1.2 billion worth of vaccine to do the whole country. Biden is asking for a $1.9 trillion stimulus package. Who cares? The vaccine cost is lost in the noise. So what if it's stored at -60c to -80c, shipped with dry ice, and has a 5 day shelf life in the refrigerator after thawing it? This isn't hard.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:31 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Update. My husband who is 75+ signed up online last night and is going to nearby site for his first shot. I will be eligible to sign up Feb 1st. Our Town is keeping us updated with phone calls and email. The are also planning to open up more sites in Town. I think everything is beginning to work, we’ll see.
I am very needle averse, so not looking forward to the shot and after effects. Ugh.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:52 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Update. My husband who is 75+ signed up online last night and is going to nearby site for his first shot. I will be eligible to sign up Feb 1st. Our Town is keeping us updated with phone calls and email. The are also planning to open up more sites in Town. I think everything is beginning to work, we’ll see.
I am very needle averse, so not looking forward to the shot and after effects. Ugh.
That's great! It appears he was one of the lucky few as the online systems were a bit messy. I'm glad the town is helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts