Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 12:53 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Denver-Boston nonstop is $99 on Southwest on the unpopular midweek days.
Prices are low, but still up from peak panic. I booked 3 round trip tickets to Chicago for less than $170 back in March. Whether or not AAL is still solvent by EoY is the question ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 01:03 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm seeing a lot of good deals on both. The fares to Florida I was looking at were around $100 round trip on a major carrier (not some bait/switch fare on Spirit or Frontier). LA was as low as $114 for August. SF around $200. So I'm not sure how people are missing them, probably just really rigid on dates.

The international stuff makes me nervous right now because it really depends on what restrictions look like at the time of travel. But yeah, I'm seeing Ireland, Spain, France, England, and the Azores for under $300 in the fall. Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Italy, Iceland, and all of Scandinavia for under $400 in the fall. Great deals. I'd just worry that if there's another spike in cases, you may end up eating that money.
International is pretty cheap now because few want to take the chance. I won't travel internationally again until/if there's a vaccine or really good treatment if you get sick. And also the stress of having to try to get your money back--I went through that recently because we had booked a flight to England for early May and it was cancelled. I wouldn't have gone anyway so was glad it was cancelled.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Did anybody here cancel a vacation that they were planning to take this year?
Two so far. A convention in August was canceled. We we're going to go to Montreal over 7/4 long weekend, but it looks like the border will still be closed, and we aren't going to quarantine for two weeks.

I did spend the first week of March in Amsterdam, just barely missing any nastiness on my trip.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:19 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Prices are low, but still up from peak panic. I booked 3 round trip tickets to Chicago for less than $170 back in March. Whether or not AAL is still solvent by EoY is the question ...
I saw some friends posting about $20 fares from Logan to Vegas back in April. I joked that I was going to book it just for some time to myself.

Old 06-10-2020, 01:21 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Sorry about everybody's cancelled vacation plans. I feel bad for anybody who had a big trip planned, anybody who was planning a wedding or really any major life event planned for this summer. I have several family members having babies and it's stressful for them (spouse can't be at ultrasounds, have to be induced per hospital's orders, etc.)

I have another question: how many towns have announced school budget cuts? I feel like the next thing coming our way. Our school has not announced anything, but a neighboring town (Hanover) just announced that 36 teachers were let go yesterday.

Will this affect every district?

Old 06-10-2020, 01:44 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Two so far. A convention in August was canceled. We we're going to go to Montreal over 7/4 long weekend, but it looks like the border will still be closed, and we aren't going to quarantine for two weeks.

I did spend the first week of March in Amsterdam, just barely missing any nastiness on my trip.
Same here. A late March trip to the Bay Area was canceled, as was a May trip to London.

We managed a good burst at the start of the year - end of January we were in London, mid-Feb in Paris, and we spent the first week of March in Kansas City with family. Our flight back on 3/8 seemed normal. Amazing what a difference a week later was. I don't envy what it must have been like getting back from Amsterdam.

Quote:
Sorry about everybody's cancelled vacation plans. I feel bad for anybody who had a big trip planned, anybody who was planning a wedding or really any major life event planned for this summer. I have several family members having babies and it's stressful for them (spouse can't be at ultrasounds, have to be induced per hospital's orders, etc.)
Eh, it happens. We were able to get refunds and we're looking forward to future travel. I feel reallllly bad for people who had to postpone weddings (we had three scheduled for this summer/September that were all canceled) or a big life event. And graduations and/or starting college. They really got robbed.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:50 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My co-op from Northeastern also informed me they are planning on having on-campus learning and housing in the fall as well
That’s good to hear. Northeastern has been pretty consistent that this was their goal. I am pretty impressed by BU’s plan. Surely things will change between now and the fall, but they are going to be more able to pivot since they have a good beginning foundation.

Harvard meanwhile is still waffling about what to do and how to do it.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What is air travel like these days anyway? Are masks required?
Masks are required. However, I was shocked earlier this week when a neighbor who just travelled back from Florida told me their flight was completely full, every seat including middles. I didn’t even think that was allowed. I think I would have walked off the plane and drove.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
(Hanover) just announced that 36 teachers were let go yesterday.
I believe a lot of these are temporary cuts and the positions will be brought back IF schools open in the fall.

Old 06-10-2020, 03:58 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Masks are required. However, I was shocked earlier this week when a neighbor who just travelled back from Florida told me their flight was completely full, every seat including middles. I didn’t even think that was allowed. I think I would have walked off the plane and drove.
A friend of mine flew Jet Blue from Orlando to Boston a couple of weeks ago. She got multiple emails that masks were required and so forth, some middles empty, others not. Not everyone wore masks, that's for sure. It's theater, not law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts