Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2020, 08:35 AM

779 posts, read 877,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Bad news, but I'm interested to see how this plays out here and abroad. Frankly, I think there's very little chance Americans will willingly lock down again. We even saw cracks towards the end of the first one. So if we don't lock down, what will a second spike/wave look like?

Optimistically, I'd hope it wouldn't be so bad in places like Massachusetts. For starters, we're prepared to test at much higher levels than we were in early/mid march and hospitals are much better prepared than they were back then. People are also largely wearing masks and taking precautions like physical distancing. Many continue to work from home and avoid mass transit (I know I'm biking to the office all summer - there are fewer people in the building to stare in disgust at my sweaty, out of shape self). So I'd hope that transmission rates would remain relatively low compared to the initial wave and this second wave wouldn't look nearly as bad.

But I'm still not liking those spikes in other places.
I agree, but I do still feel like the people here are taking it more seriously than what I'm seeing (based on pictures) from states where cases are on the rise. Even as things are opening up, I feel like the way we are doing it relatively safe. Everybody is wearing masks out of the house, we are still socially distancing. We use a lot of hand sanitizer when out of the house and always wash our hands before we leave and when we get home. And honestly everybody I know (at least as far as I know) is doing the same. None of my friends are hosting indoor playdates (we have done a movie outside from our cars, which seemed safe), nobody is having parties. I live in a town with large lots and very few sidewalks, so not really a "neighborhood" type of town, but when I see people out they are social distancing. I feel like if these precautions keep down the spread, then fingers crossed our numbers don't spike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 08:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Bad news, but I'm interested to see how this plays out here and abroad. Frankly, I think there's very little chance Americans will willingly lock down again. We even saw cracks towards the end of the first one. So if we don't lock down, what will a second spike/wave look like?

Optimistically, I'd hope it wouldn't be so bad in places like Massachusetts. For starters, we're prepared to test at much higher levels than we were in early/mid march and hospitals are much better prepared than they were back then. People are also largely wearing masks and taking precautions like physical distancing. Many continue to work from home and avoid mass transit (I know I'm biking to the office all summer - there are fewer people in the building to stare in disgust at my sweaty, out of shape self). So I'd hope that transmission rates would remain relatively low compared to the initial wave and this second wave wouldn't look nearly as bad.

But I'm still not liking those spikes in other places.

Those places don't need to lock down. They need enforced temporary laws to require hand hygiene, masks, and zero contact. If it's a $10,000 fine to be in a public place within 6 feet of someone without a mask and the town/city gets to keep half the fine, people will wear masks. Hyperbole but I think I make my point.

70% of the country lives in single family homes. The vast majority car commute. You don't have to pull the plug to keep the transmission rate below 1.0. A short list of urban places that rely on mass transit and where people work in office towers are screwed. Everyone else in the country can get back to their lives if everyone does their part.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:50 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I agree, but I do still feel like the people here are taking it more seriously than what I'm seeing (based on pictures) from states where cases are on the rise. Even as things are opening up, I feel like the way we are doing it relatively safe. Everybody is wearing masks out of the house, we are still socially distancing. We use a lot of hand sanitizer when out of the house and always wash our hands before we leave and when we get home. And honestly everybody I know (at least as far as I know) is doing the same. None of my friends are hosting indoor playdates (we have done a movie outside from our cars, which seemed safe), nobody is having parties. I live in a town with large lots and very few sidewalks, so not really a "neighborhood" type of town, but when I see people out they are social distancing. I feel like if these precautions keep down the spread, then fingers crossed our numbers don't spike.
Agreed, that's what I'm seeing here too. I love to travel, but we've largely resigned ourselves to the fact that this will be a local summer. And, frankly, I'm kind of looking forward to it. We're going to enjoy the summer, but differently than we have in the past. No big parties, no trips to major cities in other countries or regions here (with the possible exception of a Mexico trip we booked last September which I'm secretly hoping gets canceled), activities that allow for distancing and spacing - beach trips, hikes, picnics in the park, etc. We'll continue to comply with mask requirements, group size suggestions, and more. We'll opt for take out and grilling at home more often than we normally have, and we'll get our beer to go rather than going to a brewery every weekend like we used to in the summer. I think that if most people take a similar approach, we can do OK.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:51 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I think that is key to note that the way MA is reopening is not like how other states reopened. For one, I don't see the mask policies being rescinded any time soon. Going into stores requires standing in a socially distanced line just to get in, and just to pay.

I've been out and about much more in the last week or two than I ever have been in the last few months, and think that MA people in general are taking it seriously, with a few people mixed in here and there that don't want to conform. I've seen one person refused admittance to a store who had a fit like a 2-year old in the parking lot.

The only concern I have is drive-thus as I do see inconsistency there. I saw a sign at starbucks stating that masks are required in the drivethru, but then frequently go to dunks where maybe 1 our of 5 cars has a driver with a mask on.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:52 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Cases are increasing in all states and territories except American Samoa. The rate of cases is slowing in many states, but still increasing. NJ, MA, CT have 2% more cases than last week. Those states have a nice bell curve.

The 21 states you mention though, have no bell curve, just straight up. Arizona only has 450 cases per 100k, but increases 28% last week.

Washington Post has nice interactive graphics: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ge%2Fstory-ans
When people talk about cases decreasing (or increasing), they always are talking about new cases. The link you provided has US new cases peaking in early April.

Cumulative cases (what you're talking about) can't ever peak.

Old 06-12-2020, 08:54 AM

12,870 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Those places don't need to lock down. They need enforced temporary laws to require hand hygiene, masks, and zero contact. If it's a $10,000 fine to be in a public place within 6 feet of someone without a mask and the town/city gets to keep half the fine, people will wear masks. Hyperbole but I think I make my point.

70% of the country lives in single family homes. The vast majority car commute. You don't have to pull the plug to keep the transmission rate below 1.0. A short list of urban places that rely on mass transit and where people work in office towers are screwed. Everyone else in the country can get back to their lives if everyone does their part.
I agree. Many of the places seeing spikes in new cases fit the single family/commute by car description. And most of them didn't have nearly as severe of a first wave as places like NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, Seattle, etc. So I don't think it's being taken as seriously there. I'm in a pretty dense area. People are doing really well with adhering to these measures - no reason it can't be done elsewhere (especially where it's less dense, and more people are driving). I just don't think there's the same sense of urgency in many of those places. Not yet, anyway.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:26 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The only concern I have is drive-thus as I do see inconsistency there. I saw a sign at starbucks stating that masks are required in the drivethru, but then frequently go to dunks where maybe 1 our of 5 cars has a driver with a mask on.
I don't go there, but my wife has hit about 5 Dunkins in Worcester in the last month. Only one of them did the employees properly wear masks - ranging from not covering their noses, to only wearing it at the window and not when preparing food, to just protecting their necks...

Old 06-12-2020, 12:40 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I don't go there, but my wife has hit about 5 Dunkins in Worcester in the last month. Only one of them did the employees properly wear masks - ranging from not covering their noses, to only wearing it at the window and not when preparing food, to just protecting their necks...

While I have noticed that as well, I was referring to the people in the vehicle going through the drivethru. I usually toss mine on to get my coffee, but have been surprised to see many people in their cars don't bother.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:46 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,362,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Prices are low, but still up from peak panic. I booked 3 round trip tickets to Chicago for less than $170 back in March. Whether or not AAL is still solvent by EoY is the question ...
I can attest to this. I booked a Minneapolis to Ft. Meyers flight in March for $25 on AA, and a return flight to Chicago from Ft.Meyers on UA for $54. Those were crazy cheap fares, but the fear factor on the way to Chicago because covid had suddenly surged was payment in sweat for the cheap fare.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:54 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Has anyone else gone back to work? I haven’t and most everyone i know has not. I spoke with my neighbor who is a structural engineer working from home for the foreseeable future. Said he’s enjoying it.

Who aside from essential employees have gone back ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts