Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2020, 11:44 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
So what is Brazil doing so very wrong in your mind?
This is a MA board. Discussing Brazil is really not at all relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 11:58 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This is a MA board. Discussing Brazil is really not at all relevant.
There are Brazilian immigrants living throughout Massachusetts. Events occurring in Brazil would be relevant to them; not criticizing, just saying.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:36 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I did give California credit, if you read my post carefully...it's also in the Globe in-depth article that I referenced (and made an earlier post on). The MGH guys compared notes with UCSF and couldn't believe how low the ICU and ventilator numbers were at the latter.

But now (arguably) California is opening up faster than MA...will remain to be seen how this all plays out.
Isn't California seeing a new spike right now?

Old 06-16-2020, 01:21 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
The lack of traffic has been so nice. I train my dog up in NH on weekends and while the drive is usually congested, it's honestly been so quiet that it's enjoyable these days. Meanwhile my husband usually takes the kids down to the cape for daytrips on the weekend and has not once had an issue with cape traffic.

Traffic used to be one of my top complaints for this area, but if it were like this all the time I'd be so happy. It will be hard to go back to congestion!
It has been great! I was a little surprised. I figured there’d be some traffic on 93S between 815 and 845 but not a bit. We did have some traffic on Saturday morning when we went to the cape. Just at the bridge but that was another surprise as I was not expecting any cape traffic on a Saturday.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:13 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I did give California credit, if you read my post carefully...it's also in the Globe in-depth article that I referenced (and made an earlier post on). The MGH guys compared notes with UCSF and couldn't believe how low the ICU and ventilator numbers were at the latter.

But now (arguably) California is opening up faster than MA...will remain to be seen how this all plays out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Isn't California seeing a new spike right now?
In places. LA County has the 2nd highest number of cases by county in the country (Cook County [Chicago] is #1). There are only 35,000 more cases in all of Mass than LA County, but there are about 3 million more people in LA county than our whole state! The state as a whole is on an arithmetic trajectory of cases of cases. Northeastern states (us, NY, NJ) have plateaued both deaths and cases.

Our 7 day rolling average of deaths right now is ~50 down from a peak of 180 on 4/20. On 3/24, when we stay-ed at home, rolling average was 5 deaths.
California's 7-day rolling average is ~75 deaths. It's been 75/day ±2 since 4/19.

Cases however, California 7-day rolling average is ~2700, the highest it's ever been. On 5/18 when they opened up, it was ~1750/day. Could be more tests, but I'm not looking that close.
We are about 350/day new cases. On 5/18 when we opened up, it was ~1200/day. Our peak was on 4/20 with 2220/day.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:22 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/boston....g-results/amp/

Old 06-16-2020, 10:32 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
14 out of 1288 isn't horrible.

With the protests, we lucked out in a few ways:
1. We have lower overall spread than we have had since early March.

2. 95%+ of protesters were wearing masks in Boston. 100% of people were wearing masks in the suburban protests I went by/saw photos of.

3. People are being much more careful about hygiene.

4. Elderly and at risk people are more likely to be shielding at home, and overall people are much more aware of their health and are not as likely to try to "power through."

5. Outdoor spread is much lower than we knew early on, especially when wearing masks.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:00 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Technically a handyman cannot do plumbing in MA. That requires a licensed plumber. That's why they tend to not include plumbing in any advertisement. Now, i'm sure If you have some minor plumbling like a leaking faucet, or needing to change out a wax seal on a toilet you will find handymen that will do it, but when you start getting into sweating pipes and such, it tends to be outside the scope of many.

Your job actually sounds like a decent sized job.
That's what I thought. If a contractor won't take my job, then what jobs do they take? Only total renovations?

In any case, I'm just going to hire a plumber to fix the leaks and then later hire a handyman to deal with the other things. I went from living in a neighborhood full of "Karens" in Cambridge to "Joe the Plumbers" in Worcester, so there's a bunch of plumbers in my neighborhood.

I bought a package of 10 disposable masks yesterday, so whoever is not fully booked until 2021 will have to wear a mask in my house.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:18 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
My employer did a soft office reopening on Monday with up to ten people allowed back in the office and everyone in office must follow a number of covid precautionary rules, such as no congregating, can't touch anything, can't do anything in the kitchen other than wash your hands, etc..

I thought, who would want to go back when one can remain in the comfort of their own homes and do whatever they want, at least until September? I'm happy as a clam wfh.

Wrong. Apparently a number of people wanted to go back and they easily reached the capacity. This tells me people must have horrible home lives and are desperate to get out of their houses.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:06 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Wrong. Apparently a number of people wanted to go back and they easily reached the capacity. This tells me people must have horrible home lives and are desperate to get out of their houses.
That's a bit harsh. I imagine there are people who don't have space or privacy to work from home comfortably or who are better off with the structure of going to the office. What do I know, I've always been an essential worker who couldn't work from home before I retired. Or maybe you're being sarcastic and, as ever, I miss the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts