Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2020, 10:28 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I am seeing the exact opposite. People are taking advantage of low fairs and booking plenty.
The data pretty much backs this up: https://www.travelandleisure.com/tra...tsa-statistics

We have a trip scheduled for late July to Mexico which we booked back in September with a group of people. I'm cautiously optimistic it'll happen, but I wouldn't be upset if it got canceled and we got refunded. Other than that we're looking at booking now for trips after the new year. We have family trying to get us down to Florida in early July, but I'm not feeling good about flying right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 10:33 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Some of the "early to open" states are seeing their biggest spikes in cases and hospitalizations yet, and it's not just due to increased testing: https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ations-rising/
I have a few friends in some of those other states that weren't even aware of this fact. They were busy planning 100% return to work plans for their various companies and such.

On another note, wow to Brazil. It's really starting to explode there.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:39 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
I am seeing the exact opposite. People are taking advantage of low fairs and booking plenty.
My friends are all frontline healthcare workers and I imagine they are firm on their issues about travel. Of course I know that other people are happy to fly places and so forth. I am impressed that people with a lot of immediate knowledge don't plan to fly too soon, although when I asked one couple how they will assess and determine whether to fly, they really have an answer "That's a good question." They also have access to whatever PPE they might feel they need. I dunno.

A friend who just bit the bullet and flew back from Florida to Boston (71) said as she researches fares, they are certainly going up.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:46 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I am seeing the exact opposite. People are taking advantage of low fares and booking plenty.
Where are these "low fares"? I'm looking to (finally) go visit my mom in the Midwest towards the end of June. Haven't seen her since we lost my dad in early Jan. Not only were the fares very high, but I noticed that Delta had dropped its nonstop from Logan to my destination city (hopefully temporarily). So not only would I pay more, I'd have to go through more inconvenience and personal exposure risk with the connecting airport, 2 flights vs. 1, etc. It's making me re-think it, to be honest.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:54 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Did anybody here cancel a vacation that they were planning to take this year?

I was working with a travel agent in February to book Universal Studios for Thanksgiving, but I never booked it and our travel agent is recommending that nobody book this year.

On the other hand, I've booked nearby trips (driving distance). Just for a change of scenery.

I just wonder if longer trips are being nixed, but if people are still taking trips close by. I have several friends who've rented for week or even for a month on the cape/islands and they've said the supply of homes is really tight with some people taking houses off the rental market and city residents looking for more space near beaches.

I also have a couple of friends in Maine who've been camping multiple times at this point--they say the campgrounds are empty because it's resident only.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:03 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

I was working with a travel agent in February to book Universal Studios for Thanksgiving, but I never booked it and our travel agent is recommending that nobody book this year.

On the other hand, I've booked nearby trips (driving distance). Just for a change of scenery.

I just wonder if longer trips are being nixed, but if people are still taking trips close by. I have several friends who've rented for week or even for a month on the cape/islands and they've said the supply of homes is really tight with some people taking houses off the rental market and city residents looking for more space near beaches.

I also have a couple of friends in Maine who've been camping multiple times at this point--they say the campgrounds are empty because it's resident only.
Yes. Myself and family members have had trips cancelled, or proactively cancelled the trip. I had a few work trips cancelled, and this fall we were having a team from Malaysia come for training with me returning with them for a week there. All that is cancelled.

Wife and I cancelled or refrained from booking all our local trips back in March/April, although now we decided we need to get out so we did book a week at a campground in NH in a house (yeah, not camping I know). But we did have to jump just to get that placed reserved.

As for other trips, we have family/friends that own lake property in NH and ME and later this summer will we have permission to use the property for a long weekend away.

But it looks like it will be a pretty light summer in terms of travel. It's fine with me as i'm actually not a fan of traveling despite how much I do it for work.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 06-10-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-10-2020, 11:04 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:

Friends of mine certainly did. They usually drive for long weekends to festivals and gatherings and fly a few times more for longer vacations in the U.S. One of the men works in a COVID unit in Boston. They have chosen not to fly at all until maybe Christmas (New Orleans) but admit that they do not have a plan for how to assess the safety of these. No plans for international trips.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:11 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:

No, and have not changed our travel plans as a result of things. We're debating a longer trip (I'm arguing for South Africa), but the determining factor right now is not the pandemic but rather how we think our 1-year old will handle a longer trip. She's successfully done cross-country twice, the Caribbean, and Europe, but this is going to be significantly longer than any of those. If we don't do that, we'll do something closer like another cross-country or Europe.

For driveable stuff, we'll go to the cape every couple of weeks, and possibly a trip to Vermont during the summer, but probably not much beyond that.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:14 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
BU informed students today that they WILL be returning/coming to campus this fall.

Much more information here

BU Campuses to Reopen, In-Person Classes Will Resume This Fall | BU Today | Boston University

http://www.bu.edu/articles/2020/back...e-will-resume/

Old 06-10-2020, 11:15 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:

Cancelled a Memorial Day weekend trip to Storyland.

My sister was going to have a big wedding in California this summer. We were going to go to Utah/Arizona while we were out there. She just did a city hall wedding instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts