Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 02:54 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Today's update.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

Some deaths that should have been listed today, were instead listed yesterday. (129 yesterday). Reporting error

870 new cases, 33 deaths.

Still good news. Once they're normalized, it looks like we've likely dropped under 100 daily deaths reported.

Hospitalizations are slightly up by 25 today, and the percent positive of testing is up a little too. Overall, though, the trend keeps going down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 03:18 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Still good news. Once they're normalized, it looks like we've likely dropped under 100 daily deaths reported.

Hospitalizations are slightly up by 25 today, and the percent positive of testing is up a little too. Overall, though, the trend keeps going down.
I agree...this would be the first silver lining we've seen in a long time. It's telling that MA & CT are the last 2 states to reopen...it's because we have a state government that is driven by the data!

Old 05-12-2020, 03:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
That’s great. I hope this trend keeps up.

A bit unsettling about all the reports of covid 19 in kids now though.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:57 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
That’s great. I hope this trend keeps up.

A bit unsettling about all the reports of covid 19 in kids now though.
These reports are, quite frankly, irresponsible and largely speculative. It's really shocking how this is being passed off.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2766037

"Finally, it is important to emphasize that the overall burden of COVID-19 infection in children remains relatively low compared with seasonal influenza. As of April 28, 2020, the CDC report 8 deaths in children 14 years or younger related to COVID-19 infection, whereas there have so far been 169 influenza-related deaths in children 14 years or younger during the 2019-2020 season, with 81 of these occurring in 2020.14,15 Thus, up to this time of the pandemic in North America, children continue to face a far greater risk of critical illness from influenza than from COVID-19, pointing to the imperative for ongoing preventive pediatric health maintenance during this time."

Old 05-12-2020, 04:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Ive seen that there are 4 kids at Boston children’s being hospitalized with these covid related illnesses. Concerning but not quite alarming for the moment I guess.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:22 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Ive seen that there are 4 kids at Boston children’s being hospitalized with these covid related illnesses. Concerning but not quite alarming for the moment I guess.
It's certainly, well, something. The numbers aren't very high but the illnesses are very severe. There's a local family near me whose son was born with this kind of autoimmune derangement- has cytokine storms in flares- and is very very vulnerable to worse effects.

I don't know how schools can reopen for children if people have gotten accustomed to the idea that children are never affected. This virus is not going to go away or be eradicated and the current situation seems rather untenable for so many people.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Can we say how many are in for influenza? The fatality rate for children with influenza is many many times higher (though both are incredibly low).

Old 05-12-2020, 04:43 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
These reports are, quite frankly, irresponsible and largely speculative.
Fauci believes otherwise and is urging caution about reopening schools in the fall.

As cases of rare COVID-linked illness in kids rise, Fauci warns much remains unknown

Old 05-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Fauci believes otherwise and is urging caution about reopening schools in the fall.

As cases of rare COVID-linked illness in kids rise, Fauci warns much remains unknown
I would definitely recommend reading the studies from journals that I've posted. These are by people doing the experimentation and painstakingly documenting the results, not holders of political office or anything parallel to them.

Fauci said "much remains unknown" which doesn't really mean anything at all. I interpret "unknown" as "unconfirmed" which is absolutely true. What Fauci did not do was put together any type of hypothesis, experiment, nor draw any conclusions from them and publish them. He makes offhand comments on TV which NBC reports on. It is just not comparable.

I think many people are failing to assess risk and blowing many things, but especially this child thing, out of proportion. I think people might be surprised to learn what the overall death rate of all causes for children 1-14 actually is: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/child-health.htm

Last edited by bjimmy24; 05-12-2020 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-12-2020, 05:19 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
"Dr. Anthony Fauci had a sharp retort for Sen. Rand Paul after the Kentucky Republican said that Fauci was not the “end all” in knowledge about the coronavirus, and that it’s “kind of ridiculous” to suggest children should be kept out of school in the fall.

While agreeing that children on the whole do much better than adults with COVID-19, Fauci noted recent reports of severe disease among children and said it’s still really not well understood.

“We don’t know everything about this virus and we really better be pretty careful, particularly when it comes to children,” Fauci said. “I think we better be careful (that) we are not cavalier in thinking that children are completely immune from the deleterious effects.” "

Source: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/watch-fauci-warns-u-s-must-not-be-cavalier-in-assuming-children-immune-to-virus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts