Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
This is ridiculous. Even a Casper the Friendly Ghost white sheet with eye cutouts will knock the transmission rate down. That, combined with hand hygiene and a bit of social distancing to keep people 6' away as much as possible is probably enough to cut the transmission rate below 1.0. I don't get the logic of "a mask isn't perfect, therefore, it's pointless for anyone to use them". The goal is to lower the transmission rate to end the pandemic. You're probably not going to be able to watch Chris Sale on the DL at Fenway or Jarrett Stidham throw interceptions at Gillette but most people should be able to go back to work.

Ya if a mask is 50 percent effective its acceptable but the bandana stops LESS then 10 percent of droplets.

Just make sure the ghost mask is not pointy ha ha!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHTfFAwgpa0

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-12-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 09:48 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya if a mask is 50 percent effective its acceptable but the bandana stops LESS then 10 percent of droplets.

I'm going to dance around making any sort of de-facto statement here. I am no authority on viral transmission methods in the real-world so I make no claim as to what is effective and what is a waste of time. I am not saying don't put something on your face here. I still feel anything is better than nothing and if it prevents the death of one person, then it is worth it to wear a mask...

But I've tested masks and various face coverings for a few months now for local hospitals and to help design a locally made mask. I've tested T-shirts, paper towels, napkins, vacuum cleaner bags, pillowcases, etc. I have data on the efficiency of capturing particles of various sizes through common household items so my opinion is based on some hard data....

So when I go into stores, or work or interact with people....I wear an N95. I gave a few to my wife and told her to only wear that. Interpret that that however you wish.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-12-2020 at 10:18 AM..

Old 05-12-2020, 10:11 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
So much for wfh being less productive
https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/art...ote-work-is-1/

The bottom line
9.75 workday
2 hours of social media
1% loss VS the office
2% loss VS the office with kids at home.

So much for the nose to grindstone mentality/Hawthorne effect (which was disproven)

It's going to be hard to justify going "back to work" in major cities with a hour drive each way as long as studies like this come out.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:15 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

The bottom line
9.75 workday
2 hours of social media
1% loss VS the office

So much for the nose to grindstone mentality/Hawthorne effect (which was disproven)

It's going to be hard to justify going "back to work" in major cities with a hour drive each way as long as studies like this come out.
One of the reasons I miss being in the office is because it was LESS hectic. WFH is nothing but stress from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. I have a routine in place that, in theory, should work well. But I get emails starting earlier and going later into the day. I don't get any breaks at all (I'm making my kids' lunch right now and have laptop open to work), and the days are just very long and completely full. Based on discussions I have with others, everybody is generally feeling the same way.

Edit: I'm also observing that I am very whiny these days

Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I find my WFH days to be more relaxing then when I go into the office. I feel like I get more done, and being home translates to a better mental state. If I get frustrated by something, I get up and go do something familiar for 10 mins. Go into the garage, go for a walk around neighborhood, go play with kids, etc. Then go back and figure out the thing that was frustrating me.

I've settled on 3 days home, and 2 days in office...and I look forward to my days home as a happier day overall even if i'm doing more work.

Previously, in the office, I got interrupted all the time. I'd be focusing on something and someone would knock on the door and ask me to look at something. Repeat that 5 or 6 times through the day, and the task I set out to do at 9AM is still not done by 4PM. With less people in the office, that doesn't happen. I get an email instead, and can check that when it's a good time for me.

I'm sure people are going to all have different opinions, but I do approve of the current WFH strategy at my company.

Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
But I've tested masks and various face coverings for a few months now for local hospitals and to help design a locally made mask. I've tested T-shirts, paper towels, napkins, vacuum cleaner bags, pillowcases, etc. I have data on the efficiency of capturing particles of various sizes through common household items so my opinion is based on some hard data....

So when I go into stores, or work or interact with people....I wear an N95. I gave a few to my wife and told her to only wear that. Interpret that that however you wish.

Excellent post, thank you.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:05 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

The bottom line
9.75 workday
2 hours of social media
1% loss VS the office

Doesn't matter what people think, it's what employers think. Convincing an employer that a kid straight out of school would only be 1% less productive WFH aint happening.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:13 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm going to dance around making any sort of de-facto statement here. I am no authority on viral transmission methods in the real-world so I make no claim as to what is effective and what is a waste of time. I am not saying don't put something on your face here. I still feel anything is better than nothing and if it prevents the death of one person, then it is worth it to wear a mask...

Have you tested nylons? A source I consider very reputable relayed some test results that show nylons are very effective.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Doesn't matter what people think, it's what employers think. Convincing an employer that a kid straight out of school would only be 1% less productive WFH aint happening.
Employers are people. Not sure what your point here is? If someone is qualified to get the job they’ll get it regardless of whether they’re ‘too young’ to work from home.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:37 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
One of the reasons I miss being in the office is because it was LESS hectic. WFH is nothing but stress from the beginning of the day to the end of the day. I have a routine in place that, in theory, should work well. But I get emails starting earlier and going later into the day. I don't get any breaks at all (I'm making my kids' lunch right now and have laptop open to work), and the days are just very long and completely full. Based on discussions I have with others, everybody is generally feeling the same way.

Edit: I'm also observing that I am very whiny these days
So refreshing to hear this. I've felt the same way...it's like nonstop work, and I'm feeling more stressed because my YMCA is closed and I used to go daily. I have no idea who these people are, who are finding time to learn a musical instrument, or write a book, during this stay-at-home advisory...but more power to them, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts