Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 09:46 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
It would just be easier if you self-actualized and moved to Mississippi.

No, the second wave is going to be catastrophic. If you remove NYC's data, the rest of the US is still on its way up (check out Illinois), not down, so reopening things (which has already started) is going to be a disaster.
wait what? what stats are you using? All the stats I've seen are an unmistakable downturn. Can you post what you're looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 09:57 AM

65 posts, read 58,247 times
Lots of fear in this thread.
How about you guys who are afraid of catching the sniffles just stay inside and self-quarantine?
Masks are not proven to work. In many cases, they cause more harm than good.

Social distancing isn't proven to work either.
Funny how "flatten the curve" and "slow the spread" just moved to never ending govt overreach and medical tyranny with no end goal.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:59 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jks1985 View Post
How about you guys who are afraid of catching the sniffles just stay inside and self-quarantine?

Funny how "flatten the curve" and "slow the spread" just moved to never ending govt overreach and medical tyranny with no end goal.
Please substantiate those claims, which fly in the face of all the scientific, refereed papers in circulation.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:08 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jks1985 View Post

It's only been two months and people like you are the ones freaking out. Government overreach whatever! I suppose you have a better way of solving this issue.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:10 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
wait what? what stats are you using? All the stats I've seen are an unmistakable downturn. Can you post what you're looking at?
I use this site.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

NY has a strong downturn, but it does seem some of the other states look flat or are still increasing. Granted, their total numbers are far smaller than NY or MA.

Worldmeters has partial data.

CA is one to look at. If you look at the daily cases, it's still going up.

I'm not making any sort of claim as to the general direction US cases are going, but simply still watching data.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-11-2020 at 10:20 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:17 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I use this site.

His claim is not that far off. NY has a strong downturn, but some of the other states look flat or are still increasing. Granted, their total numbers are far smaller than NY or MA.

Worldmeters has partial data.

CA is one to look at. If you look at the daily cases, it's still going up.

I'm not making any sort of claim as to the general direction US cases are going, but simply still watching data.
Perhaps the difference is that I am really looking mostly at deaths, because cases increase as testing increases, so I find it to be not a good metric.

The spikes I see in deaths in various states "after opening up" would have been from hospitalizations that took place before the openings, and declines from those spikes the longer we have gone on thus far.

I like Washington Post for the data. They use per capita and very easy to switch between states. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/

Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Perhaps the difference is that I am really looking mostly at deaths, because cases increase as testing increases, so I find it to be not a good metric.

The spikes I see in deaths in various states "after opening up" would have been from hospitalizations that took place before the openings, and declines from those spikes the longer we have gone on thus far.

I like Washington Post for the data. They use per capita and very easy to switch between states. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/
But deaths don't really suggest where we'll be in three weeks, which is when people exposed to COVID-19 today will die. I mostly check the Johns Hopkins University dashboard, but I did see a graph yesterday that showed US data with NYC removed. I'll try to find it. But still, here's JHU's new-case chart for Illinois. Not good for a state that has been practicing social distancing and wearing masks for more than a month.
Attached Thumbnails
Coronavirus in Massachusetts-chi.jpg  

Old 05-11-2020, 11:18 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,784,045 times
Even deaths isn't that great of a metric since I'm sure they are counting anyone who dies after testing positive regardless of reason.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:22 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
here's JHU's new-case chart for Illinois.
It's easy to cherry pick data and make it fit the narrative with which you are most comfortable

Old 05-11-2020, 11:27 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
But deaths don't really suggest where we'll be in three weeks, which is when people exposed to COVID-19 today will die. I mostly check the Johns Hopkins University dashboard, but I did see a graph yesterday that showed US data with NYC removed. I'll try to find it. But still, here's JHU's new-case chart for Illinois. Not good for a state that has been practicing social distancing and wearing masks for more than a month.
Isn't that why the commonwealth of MA is looking at new hospitalizations per day, and the trend in total currently hospitalized, as the key metric as to how this is going?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts