Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 10:52 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times

Advertisements

Very interesting overlay here. You can see the impact of the sheltering directives on the transmission rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 11:23 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It’s not that I don’t trust. It’s just that the sample size seems small.

I’m still rereading the study. 510 pupils, 42 teachers, 641 parents and some others. 1300 or so in total and 10% of that total caught the virus. 61% of the parents/caretakers of an infected student caught it and 2 adults were hospitalized.

If anything, that tells us that the kids themselves aren’t really transmitting it much between themselves, but if it does happen there’s a strong chance they will bring it back to their household and infect the other members of that household.

That data suggests that the entire reason schools were closed was valid.
That is a very low hospitalization rate, and a 0% death rate. Fact is, almost everyone recovers completely. I draw the exact opposite conclusion. I see now reason to believe this is any worse than say the common cold among kids and their parents based on this study.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:35 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
That is a very low hospitalization rate, and a 0% death rate. Fact is, almost everyone recovers completely. I draw the exact opposite conclusion. I see now reason to believe this is any worse than say the common cold among kids and their parents based on this study.
I think it's because you're failing to see the point he and others like Geoff are trying to make. I lived in a multigen household. My brother in-law needs the support of four 65+ individuals, three of which have high risk chronic conditions, to manage childcare/financials. There are many households like this.

I agree with BostonMIke, the results seem to indicate that children remain dangerous vectors for the virus if also in contact with higher risk individuals. A 61% infection rate is pretty damning, particularly when paired with poor IFR rates amongst at risk groups.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:47 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
That is a very low hospitalization rate, and a 0% death rate. Fact is, almost everyone recovers completely. I draw the exact opposite conclusion. I see no reason to believe this is any worse than say the common cold among kids and their parents based on this study.
I'm incredulous. Have you read any of the accounts of the effects of this illness on those who do experience symptoms? Lesions on the lung that last for weeks (who knows how long)? Blood clots? And these are in the <60 population. Continuing to insist this is no worse than the common cold is downright dangerous and irresponsible.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:39 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I'm incredulous. Have you read any of the accounts of the effects of this illness on those who do experience symptoms? Lesions on the lung that last for weeks (who knows how long)? Blood clots? And these are in the <60 population. Continuing to insist this is no worse than the common cold is downright dangerous and irresponsible.

At least he didn't say Kung Flu. /s

Old 06-26-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Just so you're keeping up, we are referencing the study that said 2 people out of 1300 were hospitalized.

Do you read anything?? Like, Ever??

Old 06-26-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I think it's because you're failing to see the point he and others like Geoff are trying to make. I lived in a multigen household. My brother in-law needs the support of four 65+ individuals, three of which have high risk chronic conditions, to manage childcare/financials. There are many households like this.

I agree with BostonMIke, the results seem to indicate that children remain dangerous vectors for the virus if also in contact with higher risk individuals. A 61% infection rate is pretty damning, particularly when paired with poor IFR rates amongst at risk groups.
The fact is, you are still at lower risk than you think. Don't be fooled by all this "case" stuff. Do we need to review who is actually predominately at risk again? It's mostly the over 80 crowd.

But hey, stay home forever. I really don't care what individual people do.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At least he didn't say Kung Flu. /s
At least I read studies and don't rely on headlines. You guys really can't follow anything here. It boggles the mind.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:37 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
The fact is, you are still at lower risk than you think. Don't be fooled by all this "case" stuff. Do we need to review who is actually predominately at risk again? It's mostly the over 80 crowd.

But hey, stay home forever. I really don't care what individual people do.
Here's the issue and why people are calling you out ... your use of "mostly".

Other tangible high risk scenarios: 48yo obese male with underlying but manage pulmonary issues, 22yo female who is a recovering cancer patient who actively needs transfusions, 55yo male with moderately high BMI and type II diabetes, etc.

In your world, society would have to be okay with all of the above scenarios being hospitalized at a minimum. I don't think society or corporate legal teams are okay with this scenario.

Old 06-26-2020, 04:41 PM

17,709 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
38k new positive cases in the US yesterday. That's the highest amount ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
And 39k new cases today. Prior to the past 2 days, the highest amount had been 34k - which was at the end of April.
40k new cases in the US today. This is the 3rd straight day a new all time high was set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts