Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 01:01 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Say what you will but New Hampshire has the 9th lowest total case count in the nation and only 367 deaths which is a tiny fraction of Massachusett's death tally. That is despite New Hampshire bordering two MA counties that at one time back in early April, were in the top five hotspots nationwide. I think NH has done remarkably well thus far.
It greatly helps that cross state migration leans heavily toward the MA job market. As soon as MA shuttered businesses, it significantly lowered migration across states. Additionally, many southern NH employers are following MA guidance as a significant portion of the staff is based in MA.

I'm not sure how much NH governance deserves credit on this one, or whether it just lucked out in avoiding spread prior to MA effectively shuttering the daily "great NH migration" to Boston area jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 01:07 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It greatly helps that cross state migration leans heavily toward the MA job market. As soon as MA shuttered businesses, it significantly lowered migration across states. Additionally, many southern NH employers are following MA guidance as a significant portion of the staff is based in MA.

I'm not sure how much NH governance deserves credit on this one, or whether it just lucked out in avoiding spread prior to MA effectively shuttering the daily "great NH migration" to Boston area jobs.
New Hampshire's guidelines were similar to MA just a little less strict as we are already more socially distant by matter of our more rural/exurban structure.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
New Hampshire's guidelines were similar to MA just a little less strict as we are already more socially distant by matter of our more rural/exurban structure.
Hillsborough County NH has 878.12 active cases per million. Worse than any Massachusetts county. Must be all those dairy farmers in Manchester and Nashua.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Hillsborough County NH has 878.12 active cases per million. Worse than any Massachusetts county.

That's 88 per 100,000

According to the latest MA covid dashboard, page 17, most counties in MA are in the low to mid 100's per 100,000

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

Last edited by BostonMike7; 07-07-2020 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-07-2020, 02:46 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
I just think that things will probably get worse as it gets colder in the fall/winter. If you can dine at a restaurant outside do it now. If things don't get better by the fall it might just be take out :-(

I'm glad to see my gym is opening but it's more reserved and limited to six people. I think they could probably have nine or ten pre covid. Now I don't know if the reservation might mean more people at a fixed time...

Old 07-07-2020, 03:21 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I just think that things will probably get worse as it gets colder in the fall/winter.
Why do you think this? This virus hasn’t shown a seasonal component. The media and many people are treating a 2nd wave in the fall as a fait accompli, but it seems far from assured (hopefully). I’m not saying it won’t happen, but I have yet to see a compelling case for it (yes I know how 1918 went).

Old 07-07-2020, 03:28 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Why do you think this? This virus hasn’t shown a seasonal component. The media and many people are treating a 2nd wave in the fall as a fait accompli, but it seems far from assured (hopefully). I’m not saying it won’t happen, but I have yet to see a compelling case for it (yes I know how 1918 went).
Maybe because it spreads more easily when people are inside. Now we can eat outside but in cold weather, obviously, we have to eat inside. That means virus spreading through the ventilation system and it means that you don't even have to be anywhere near the infected person. Even with groceries, I'm buying food from a farm but in winter, it's grocery stores again. Add to that, all the people who have traveled here and brought it with them to spread around and I think it will get worse again in the cold weather. I'm going to make the most of eating outside in the summer weather while I still can.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:11 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
You can't have a 2nd wave in the fall when the 1st wave will still be happening.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:14 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You can't have a 2nd wave in the fall when the 1st wave will still be happening.
Sad and tragic but very true. Maybe it's more accurate to say that we have a chance of prolonging the 1st wave in the colder seasons, as people will go back inside.

Old 07-07-2020, 05:21 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Isn't this a good thing? I thought the whole point of "flattening the curve" was simply to drag out the serious cases enough as to keep available ICU beds for those serious cases to lie on while they slowly die. As beds open up, a few more can venture out, get sick, and have their turn in the ICU, and the cycle repeats.

If we just keep having a slow drip 1st wave go on and on, isn't that exactly what we wanted to have happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts