Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 07:55 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Yeah it would be for antibodies. Maybe I'll ask, see what they think.
Check to see if your antibody test is covered by your insurance provider. Mine was and I went to Quest. If your PCP is willing to make a referral, you can have it billed directly to your insurance. Otherwise, you can order it yourself and have your insurance provider reimburse you. You can also go to urgent care. The one closest to me charged a $50 copay (standard for everyone) and said they would bill my insurance for the cost of the test. I was able to get a referral to Quest pretty quickly by calling my PCP, so I went that route.

I tested negative, by the way. I was fairly confident that between commuting on the T, traveling quite a bit internationally and domestically in Jan/Feb/March, and going to bars/restaurants, etc. that I would have been exposed. Apparently not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 07:58 AM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
I'm also worried about the fall and how we are going to get tested every time we have cold symptoms. Our regular doctor's office is not currently offering rapid testing, but I'm hoping they will by September. We have an urgent care clinic near us that does offer rapid testing, so I guess we'll need to utilize that when needed, but we may need to go multiple times a month. I haven't gotten the bill from my husband's rapid test, but will be interested in how much it costs.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:01 AM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I tested negative, by the way. I was fairly confident that between commuting on the T, traveling quite a bit internationally and domestically in Jan/Feb/March, and going to bars/restaurants, etc. that I would have been exposed. Apparently not.
The antibodies could be gone now, I think, if you had the virus in February.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Check to see if your antibody test is covered by your insurance provider. Mine was and I went to Quest. If your PCP is willing to make a referral, you can have it billed directly to your insurance. Otherwise, you can order it yourself and have your insurance provider reimburse you. You can also go to urgent care. The one closest to me charged a $50 copay (standard for everyone) and said they would bill my insurance for the cost of the test. I was able to get a referral to Quest pretty quickly by calling my PCP, so I went that route.

I got my antibody test through an urgent care center who uses Quest labs. The urgent care center and quest both billed my insurance directly. Insurance covered the Quest bill completely and most of the urgent care bill, but I ended up having to pay $25 to the urgent care center out of pocket. If I were to do it again, I'd probably just schedule directly through Quest--there is a lab near me, so it would save me the bill from the urgent care center.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:12 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I'm also worried about the fall and how we are going to get tested every time we have cold symptoms. Our regular doctor's office is not currently offering rapid testing, but I'm hoping they will by September. We have an urgent care clinic near us that does offer rapid testing, so I guess we'll need to utilize that when needed, but we may need to go multiple times a month. I haven't gotten the bill from my husband's rapid test, but will be interested in how much it costs.

I have that fear too.

My hope, though, is that with people paying much better attention to washing their hands, continuing to wear masks, and avoiding crowds that we will see lower rates of colds and flus. It will make testing messy, but maybe we can avoid flu and coronavirus rates skyrocketing at the same time.

Old 07-08-2020, 09:59 AM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have that fear too.

My hope, though, is that with people paying much better attention to washing their hands, continuing to wear masks, and avoiding crowds that we will see lower rates of colds and flus. It will make testing messy, but maybe we can avoid flu and coronavirus rates skyrocketing at the same time.

Is that what you're seeing? I'm seeing a lot of people acting as if the virus is gone.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:10 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Is that what you're seeing? I'm seeing a lot of people acting as if the virus is gone.
Same. But it’s hard not to blame them seeing how the numbers have decreased so much, things are opening up again and we were on lockdown for a while. I haven’t necessarily seen less hand washing but definitely more people going out and about.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Harvard wants students to test every three days. Tests are about $100. that's $9,000 for a school year. I paid $120 for quest and then had a free one months later from the state. First one was blood the second was a nasal swab. Blood took longer than nasal.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:35 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Harvard wants students to test every three days. Tests are about $100. that's $9,000 for a school year. I paid $120 for quest and then had a free one months later from the state. First one was blood the second was a nasal swab. Blood took longer than nasal.
Those are two different tests, no? The $120 test from Quest is an antibody test. The free swab from the state is a test for active infection.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:51 AM

Is anybody else on this forum sending kids to camp or is it just me? I'm on week 2 of camp and just had to say that so far it's going really well. I have a 6 and 8 year old who are in masks for a full day of camp, and neither has had a single complaint about it. The camps are very well-organized, the campers are in small groups with a high ratio of counselors who can help keep them distant, and I'm impressed with all the thought that went into keeping staff and kids safe. My kids are excited to go every day and love spending time with other kids while doing fun activities. I was really nervous about how it was going to go, but it's been nothing but positive. It's making me feel much more optimistic about the school year.

Also, having quiet time at home so I can completely focus on work has been life-changing. I admit that this spring when work was insanely busy for myself and my husband, we were trying to layer on remote learning, zoom calls, keeping the kids entertained, etc., there were many days I ended up in tears. I missed being in my office where I could focus and easily talk with my colleagues. But now that my kids are up and out of the house early, they are somewhere they love, and I am not juggling 100 things, I am LOVING working from home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts