Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2021, 07:29 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Dramatic increases of covid in MA schools. https://www.necn.com/news/coronaviru...weeks/2628121/

My wife says he school is starting to have a lot of absences due to faculty and students either having covid, or having someone in the family with it requiring them to stay home. I think she said 5-6 teachers are out right now causing a strain due to having to cover those classes.

My office has a bunch of cases now. Seems like everyone is getting it, but fortunately i'm not aware of any serious cases. Mostly asymptomatic or the sniffles. Hopefully it stays that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 08:09 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Mostly asymptomatic or the sniffles.
How are the asymptomatic cases being picked up? If your work testing? A year ago testing was plentiful and mandatory. Now it is somewhat difficult to get tested. One of my kids has common cold symptoms a few weeks back. I took them to get tested to give the school peace of mind. If was quite an adventure that cost me several days of productivity. Most people don't have that kind of flexibility.

Old 12-06-2021, 08:20 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
How are the asymptomatic cases being picked up? If your work testing? A year ago testing was plentiful and mandatory. Now it is somewhat difficult to get tested. One of my kids has common cold symptoms a few weeks back. I took them to get tested to give the school peace of mind. If was quite an adventure that cost me several days of productivity. Most people don't have that kind of flexibility.
Where in MA are you? I've run into several people who have said it's hard to get tested, but that's not our experience. The free Project Beacon testing sites are spread across Eastern MA, have appointments as soon as tomorrow, and generally get you results overnight. We've been using them for over a year now - regularly getting tested before/after going out of town or visiting family and friends. Usually in/out in less than 10 minutes.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:04 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post

We really haven't had a difficult time getting tested. The School does "test-to-stay" tests if the child displays any symptoms. Our pediatrician can get a test done pretty quick (same day usually) and we have at-home tests. Couple weeks ago I got a call to pick our kid up at the school nurse office at 9AM due to a headache (he gets migraines). I had a test scheduled by 12:30 at our pediatricians office (small local practice) and a result by end of day. I think my kids have had a dozen or so tests since the school year began. One was tested at school last Friday AM as well.

Fortunately we've been negative, but I am aware of lots of families that have been doing routine at-home testing or getting a test done when one kid has the sniffles. Our neighbors across the street just discovered their child was positive this way. All he had was a runny nose.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:09 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The range of pay is based on a 40 hour week at the low end to a max that can be earned based on shift differential, daily OT, weekly OT. Contract nurses are often working the 12 hour Friday - Sunday overnight shifts so they tend to be on the higher end.

Contract nurses are also paying a fortune for housing. Living at a hotel gets expensive.
I thought contract travel nurses had housing paid for by the agency.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:14 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I knew one, and indeed, they get a housing allowance which easily covers a long-term hotel stay.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:48 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I knew one, and indeed, they get a housing allowance which easily covers a long-term hotel stay.
I wasn't aware of that. My recollection from the article I read made it seem as if they paid their own housing. I shall refrain from not posting unless I refresh my recollection.

I wonder if the compensation rates quoted include the housing.

Old 12-06-2021, 01:21 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I wasn't aware of that. My recollection from the article I read made it seem as if they paid their own housing. I shall refrain from not posting unless I refresh my recollection.

I wonder if the compensation rates quoted include the housing.
Not sure what compensation rates you saw in the article. But anecdotally, with the person I knew, she was getting what amounted to a $250 - 300K annual salary (the latter assuming OT), in addition to housing / per diem allowance, and things like mileage or airfare + car shipping to the new work location. Of course this was for a few months at a time, not full year.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
https://images.app.goo.gl/dhe4BK9tgWG5kBjLA

You guys are too normal for me. I thought that was hilarious.

I hope you guys have a sense of humor

Old 12-07-2021, 12:20 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
I'm curious how many cases are in other schools. My kids are in elementary school and we get a weekly report with the # of cases that week. Since the beginning of the school year, we've had 1 - 2 cases per week. The past 2 weeks we've had 4 cases per week. An increase, but not a crazy amount.

Our school does pool covid testing and from what I can tell, about a third to half the kids have opted into that. My kids get tested every 2 weeks as part of the school program. I'm not sure how many positives have come out of the pool testing, if any.

We have a few boxes of the BinaxNOW covid tests in case we need them for stay and learn (our school accepts those for negative tests). We've gone through a couple of boxes with some runny noses, but haven't gotten any positives.

Curious how many cases are in other schools in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts