Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2021, 08:27 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

I saw someone on one of the Boston neighborhood Facebook groups say they called 911 and got a recording/voicemail. Apparently that is pretty unusual. I have never had to call 911 but I’d be pretty upset if I got a recording. Someone responded that there’s a dispatcher shortage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 08:27 PM

266 posts, read 236,332 times
Surely not!!!

In the Name of Public Health — Nazi Racial Hygiene
Susan Bachrach, Ph.D
In democratic societies, the needs of public health sometimes require citizens to make sacrifices for the greater good, but in Nazi Germany, national or public health — Volksgesundheit — took complete precedence over individual health care. Physicians and medically trained academics, many of whom were proponents of “racial hygiene,” or eugenics, legitimized and helped to implement Nazi policies aiming to “cleanse” German society of people viewed as biologic threats to the nation’s health.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:37 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I saw someone on one of the Boston neighborhood Facebook groups say they called 911 and got a recording/voicemail. Apparently that is pretty unusual. I have never had to call 911 but I’d be pretty upset if I got a recording. Someone responded that there’s a dispatcher shortage

And this would be the norm if Great Barrington were to be implemented. A lot of people don't seem to understand that everything would fall apart if we do nothing and don't follow public health orders.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:40 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Delta was not dominant last year (or in existence for that matter?)...what are you even talking about dude???
Delta became dominant in May 2021 according to the CDC, Mayo Clinic.
Sorry, my fault.
Alpha was dominant in Dec 2020 - which still was more infectious than the original wild virus
However- no one except a few thousand trial volunteers were vaccinated last year.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I accept that there may be concern, but not all concern is rational. I would any day place my trust in scientists who have made this their life's work and earned the credentials, vs. random Internet skeptics.

And life is a series of tradeoffs after all--nothing is 100% or zero risk. It's about doing what you can to minimize risk, not only for the individual, but for all of us.
Just for the sake of an argument - an absolute risk reduction of all vaccines was less than 1 % on average
It is in the original trials from the manufacturers.

Granted, that due to next variants like Alpha and Delta- it is possible that an absolute risk reduction (ARR) for those are higher due to a higher attack rate of the infection, perhaps, but does not look good for Omicron

For some people 1% risk reduction of getting a vaccine is not worth the risks of adverse effects or long term complications, maybe?

Last edited by L00k4ward; 12-20-2021 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-20-2021, 09:02 PM

12,452 posts, read 9,540,640 times
As of today, we're averaging 1,289 US Covid-19 deaths per day, or 9,023 per week. The strange thing is, I think people have just gotten used to these numbers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...aths/?state=US

Old 12-20-2021, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
As of today, we're averaging 1,289 US Covid-19 deaths per day, or 9,023 per week. The strange thing is, I think people have just gotten used to these numbers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...aths/?state=US
Very sad.
Omicron is dominant in US now- 2 out of 3 monoclonal antibodies used for treatments are not working anymore for Omicron infections
The 3d - is in very very limited supply in the US.

On a positive? note- Moderna people promise Omicron specific vaccines by March.

In a hindsight - does anyone thinks that we should have protected the older and the vulnerable in 2020 and let the rest of the population get it?
Every next variant is more transmissive- which is natural evolution for the virus.
Due to higher transmission- the death rates are higher compare if the virus became more virulent but less transmissive.

I think the 101 epidemiology-not to do mass vaccinations during an ongoing pandemic- is proven in vivo…
We are making a more efficient virus, and the vaccines are playing a catch-up…
Heartbreaking with no end in sight?

Old 12-20-2021, 11:32 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Nationwide, we could be looking at over a million cases per day in the near future.

Source: https://www.golocalprov.com/news/bre...-all-new-cases

Old 12-21-2021, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Surely you're not comparing Nazism, aimed at annihilating a population, to public health measures aimed at saving a population.
Yes, yes, that's what they're doing. Sadly, common sense isn't all that common.

Old 12-21-2021, 01:46 AM

Omicron variant is now the dominant form in Massachusetts as well as the nation as a whole. That happened even faster than I thought it would. A significant problem is, it's advanced so quickly, that there hasn't really been time to properly characterize how well affected patients do, and there are conflicting reports which attempt to assess that, and meanwhile it's already sweeping over us. This is why some leaders are acting conservatively and assuming the negative reports are correct, so as to err on the side of disease prevention, versus convenience/keeping people happy - because we could have large numbers of people infected with Omicron in a very short time, and if it's as damaging as Delta for patients, this could go very badly.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/12/...united-states/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts