Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 12:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Is this true? Public policy aside, I thought pregnant women were at a higher risk of hospitalization from covid than most?
The CDC says:
Quote:
Although the overall risks are low, people who are pregnant or recently pregnant are at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 when compared to people who are not pregnant. People who have COVID-19 during pregnancy are also at increased risk for preterm birth (delivering the baby earlier than 37 weeks) and stillbirth and might be at increased risk for other pregnancy complications.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nt-people.html

Personally, that wouldn’t be high on my list. If I were emperor, I’d make it compulsory for 50+ since that’s who is landing in the hospital.

As more is learned about long hauler chronic health problems, I might be persuaded to slide the compulsory age lower. We don’t know how many younger people are going to end up disabled. Just like you shouldn’t have the right to skip the vaccination and overwhelm the hospitals, you shouldn’t have the right to skip vaccination and land on SSDI for life.

Since we aren’t fascists with an authoritarian government, this is all kind of moot. All we can do is have penalties for not getting vaccinated. No international travel. Shut out of some restaurants. Some employers insisting you get vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 01:44 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
So should a pregnant woman...catching a virus that's extremely unlikely to put her in the hospital anyway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Is this true? Public policy aside, I thought pregnant women were at a higher risk of hospitalization from covid than most?
No, it's not true. You are correct, Boston Shudra. Pregnant women are essentially immunocompromised and can get very sick from COVID-19.

Old 02-01-2022, 01:53 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You'd have to ask them what the big deal is. I know pregnant people who did have the vaccine. I guess that's the thing about people's bodies particularly when they are carrying another human...they should be given the choice. I dont think any pregnant people are getting vaccinated for rubella, measles, polio, Hep B while they are pregnant either. I cant tell you the last time I had any of those shots...have you had those recently? I think those are shots people get as children.

When i was pregnant i got the flu shot...but that shot has been around for a while. I again dont think it's unreasonable that a pregnant person might not want a newly created vaccine.
As an FYI, the flu vaccine is new every year.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:04 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As an FYI, the flu vaccine is new every year.
It might change from year to year but it's not a brand new vaccine the way the Covid vaccine is. That is perhaps what freaks people out.

Ya'll i got the brand new vaccine...all 3 shots...along with the flu shot. I've probably put worse things in my body (never done drugs FYI) I'm just not here to judge a pregnant lady who might not be comfortable with it. I guess some of you are.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:35 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
No, it's not true. You are correct, Boston Shudra. Pregnant women are essentially immunocompromised and can get very sick from COVID-19.
Nope, what I said was true. Verbatim from the CDC: Although the overall risks are low, people who are pregnant or recently pregnant are at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 when compared to people who are not pregnant. Riskier than those who are not pregnant, but the risk is still low. Everyone should get the vaccine, but pregnant women are not the group who is overwhelming the hospitals.

Old 02-01-2022, 02:58 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Nope, what I said was true. Verbatim from the CDC: Although the overall risks are low, people who are pregnant or recently pregnant are at an increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 when compared to people who are not pregnant. Riskier than those who are not pregnant, but the risk is still low. Everyone should get the vaccine, but pregnant women are not the group who is overwhelming the hospitals.
You said it's "extremely unlikely to put her in the hospital", and that is wrong.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
You said it's "extremely unlikely to put her in the hospital", and that is wrong.
Is there specific CDC criteria for the word "extremely, or something else that I'm missing? Otherwise interpretation of it is pretty subjective so I'm not sure how you can flatly call it "wrong." If you want to split hairs over it and pick another word, that's fine. Point is, the risk of Omicron putting a pregnant woman in the hospital is low and significantly lower than older adults (especially those with underlying conditions) which is the group that is almost entirely responsible for the COVID run on hospital beds.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:34 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
Quote:
Right, and those are pretty reasonable arguments against (or at least for exceptions from) some of the vaccine requirements. Nobody needs to make nonsensical comparisons to Nazi Germany in order for those points to be valid.
I did not mention Nazi Germany only that the United States is turning fascist by the definition of fascism. Vaccine passports are nothing but authoritarian in my eyes and it leads to a slippery slope.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 02-01-2022 at 04:41 PM..

Old 02-01-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I did not mention Nazi Germany only that the United States is turning fascist by the definition of fascism.
Well for starters, you’re wrong about the U.S. turning fascist by definition. And secondly, a quick search of your posts begs to differ. You’ve made the nazi comparison plenty of times. A few examples here, here, and here (the last is from this very thread) - there are others, but you get the point.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:19 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
Quote:
Well for starters, you’re wrong about the U.S. turning fascist by definition. And secondly, a quick search of your posts begs to differ. You’ve made the nazi comparison plenty of times. A few examples here, here, and here (the last is from this very thread) - there are others, but you get the point.
The people on the right and even some moderates think vaccine passports are fascist.

[dailymotion]x80f1k2[/dailymotion]

I have seen many places online describe fascism as government working with cooperations to enforce authoritarian rule. You may be fine with the vaccine but what if they mandated you to take ivermectin. What if they mandated you to get sterilized. This can go down so many roads once they have the power.

https://www.theamericanconservative....w-segregation/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts