Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 09:27 AM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No, definitely not while pregnant for those ones. That was more in reference to non-pregnant city employees.

How long does it need to be around before it isn't new anymore? 5 years?
Maybe for some? I don't know.

The question i have for you is why does it irk you that a pregnant woman would refuse this vaccine? Does it really affect your life ? are you that worried of getting covid from pregnant women?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 10:10 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Maybe for some? I don't know.

The question i have for you is why does it irk you that a pregnant woman would refuse this vaccine? Does it really affect your life ? are you that worried of getting covid from pregnant women?
As much as it would anyone else. And if the cdc says its safe, then why would they be held to a different standard than anyone else?

Remember that I didn't bring up pregnant women as a special case, you did.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:18 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Anyone who is pregnant was likely eligible to be vaccinated before they knew they were pregnant. They chose not to, and then doubled down and chose not to get vaccinated while pregnant despite all data showing pregnancy is a high risk factor for COVID complications with mother and baby.

Not feeling too sympathetic for pregnant women who choose not get get vaccinated on either count.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:24 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
This is all deflection from the core problem. The people in the hospital are 50+ and unvaccinated. That’s what is collapsing our healthcare system. That’s who has the societal obligation to get vaccinated. Recall that we pulled the plug initially to “flatten the curve” so the hospitals didn’t overflow with COVID-19 cases.

Old 02-01-2022, 10:42 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Blaming the WPI president for the tragic suicides at WPI is lower than low. As if no other universities across the US had Covid restrictions? That's precisely why TB ain't even close to "journalism".

Old 02-01-2022, 11:39 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Anyone who is pregnant was likely eligible to be vaccinated before they knew they were pregnant. They chose not to, and then doubled down and chose not to get vaccinated while pregnant despite all data showing pregnancy is a high risk factor for COVID complications with mother and baby.

Not feeling too sympathetic for pregnant women who choose not get get vaccinated on either count.
the woman in question was going through fertility treatments prior to getting pregnant as well. She was worried that the vaccine would interfere with the treatments and the pregnancy. The vaccine hasn't even been out for a year....

I'm not feeling sympathetic for anyone. I just understand why people don't want to have the vaccine in certain situations. Good for them for standing their ground.

I dont agree with people refusing it for political reasons...but if someone truly feels it could harm them or an unborn child in some way and they dont want to take it then that's a different story. Not everyone cares what the CDC says about their own personal situation.

Pregnant women are told not to eat feta cheese and deli meats because of the chance of listeria...i think turning down a newly created vaccine when pregnant should be someone's own choice....not their employers.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:42 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
I think it's important to think about the long term impacts of current public health policies and messaging. We know the virus is spreading remarkably fast, even among the vaccinated. We also know that while the vaccines help reduce the chances of a case requiring hospitalization, hospitalizations are disproportionately higher among specific populations (particularly older adults with comorbidities). So should a pregnant woman really lose her job over a vaccine that's unlikely to prevent her from catching/spreading a virus that's extremely unlikely to put her in the hospital anyway?

I don't think so. Back when we were hopeful that vaccines would stop COVID from spreading, or even when there were concerns about Delta putting unvaccinated young people in the hospital at significant rates, I would have felt differently. But not now. A concerted effort to get people vaccinated targeting the populations most at risk for occupying hospital beds (again, particularly older adults with comorbidities) would have been more effective than sweeping mandates. People resent these things (even people who don't necessarily have an issue with the vaccines) and it can diminish trust in leadership and public health authorities which can hamper future public health efforts.

Old 02-01-2022, 11:52 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,051,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
So should a pregnant woman...catching a virus that's extremely unlikely to put her in the hospital anyway?
Is this true? Public policy aside, I thought pregnant women were at a higher risk of hospitalization from covid than most?

Old 02-01-2022, 11:54 AM

I think i've said here before that my employer made the vaccine mandatory for everyone and that includes the booster. Everyone had to do it by Jan 31st. My whole dept has not been in the office since March of 2020 but we still had to do it. To me that seems pretty ridiculous to enforce something on people who are not physically in the office space...but most people went ahead and did it. I'm not sure what the consequences were for people who didn't do it. But overall it does seem kind of odd to mandate 100% remotely working people to get the vaccine.

Old 02-01-2022, 12:16 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Is this true? Public policy aside, I thought pregnant women were at a higher risk of hospitalization from covid than most?
CDC says the risks of severe COVID in pregnant women are low, but higher than non-pregnant people. Like everyone else, pregnant women who are vaccinated are at a much lower risk of being hospitalized than those who are not vaccinated. But I have not seen anything indicating that pregnant women make up a significant portion of COVID hospitalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts