Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 11:55 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,040,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I haven't been going out to eat anyway, but if that were to change (whether that be a one time or regular thing) I can imagine this being one more incentive not to head to Boston. I admit a lot of it is laziness on my part, not having set up a vaccine passport. But if my only incentive for doing so is to dine out in Boston (which I probably won't do anyway), then why bother really? There's no shortage of restaurants surrounding the city.

But I also share the opinion, that staffing issues are probably a far greater factor here.
Your vaccine card (or even a picture of it on your phone) will serve as a "vaccine passport" at any restaurant. The digital version with the QR code is more about convenience for the user (not having to carry the card or sort through photos) as well as security for venues that may want more foolproof verification (it's not hard to photoshop a fake vaccine card) which the QR code provides.

But yeah, I think there are a lot of people (even the vaccinated) who don't want to bother. And I'd also agree that staffing is the far greater issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2022, 11:55 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I would think that it's more likely for businesses/restaurants to be closing or not doing well more because they can't get or keep staff. And also the staff that they do have, being out sick lately.
Vaccine mandates contribute to lack of staff. Vaccine passport rules require restaurants to hire more people.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:05 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I haven't been going out to eat anyway, but if that were to change (whether that be a one time or regular thing) I can imagine this being one more incentive not to head to Boston. I admit a lot of it is laziness on my part, not having set up a vaccine passport. But if my only incentive for doing so is to dine out in Boston (which I probably won't do anyway), then why bother really? There's no shortage of restaurants surrounding the city.

But I also share the opinion, that staffing issues are probably a far greater factor here.
I agree. I, as do many others live in a suburb and there are many restaurants to choose from that don't require this showing of a covid card.

Maybe some nervous people prefer to dine at a place where you have to show a card...but unfortunately many people are coming up with fake cards and as we know even vaccinated people can still get and spread covid.

I think the passport thing is a waste of time...I'm guessing it's something mayor wu felt she should do as a new mayor.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:19 PM

23,594 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Your vaccine card (or even a picture of it on your phone) will serve as a "vaccine passport" at any restaurant.

OK didn't realize that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I agree. I, as do many others live in a suburb and there are many restaurants to choose from that don't require this showing of a covid card.

Maybe some nervous people prefer to dine at a place where you have to show a card...but unfortunately many people are coming up with fake cards and as we know even vaccinated people can still get and spread covid.

I think the passport thing is a waste of time...I'm guessing it's something mayor wu felt she should do as a new mayor.

Last summer when Delta was the thing, I might have felt differently. But now with Omicron, fake cards floating around, having many "vaccinated" people who received it in early 2021 and never got their booster...I just don't see a significant safety advantage. Plus Boston restaurants tend to be more crowded and jammed anyway, I'd sooner go to a big airy restaurant where 70%+ are vaccinated vs. a small "cozy" place where 100% (supposedly) are.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I'm not okay with people losing their business. I'm just pointing out the hyperbole of the comment "I read in Seattle restaurants are going out of business because of the passports."

Point me to an article that notes restaurants are closing en masse due to the proof of vaccine requirements.

As for the "Freedom Convoys", tell me what they actually accomplished besides dancing on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, festooned the statue of Terry Fox with anti-vax messages, and waved Nazi and Confederate flags.
What 3 people displaying swatzticas and confederate flags. That is not representative of that group . The mandates are fascist.

Old 01-31-2022, 01:50 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

In light of the recent Covid wave, I think passports are a giant waste of time and aren't accomplishing anything at this point.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:39 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
In light of the recent Covid wave, I think passports are a giant waste of time and aren't accomplishing anything at this point.
sadly yes. At one point I thought if we're going to have all these rules then airplanes should be requiring vaccination passports as well. Maybe they were ahead of the game.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
The mandates are fascist.
Gaslighting again? Or just too poorly informed to know what fascism is?

Quote:
Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and the economy that rose to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

Old 02-01-2022, 03:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
As a public health thing to keep the hospitals from collapsing, it’s at least a mild social penalty for not being vaccinated. Personally, if I’m a private employer paying for employee health insurance, I’m insisting on vaccination regardless of what the Supreme Court says. Unlike self-insured corporations, I’m not allowed to hike premiums for the unvaccinated so my only option is to fire them. COVID-19 hospitalization is a an easily avoidable 6-figure medical bill. I don’t want the stupidity of the few hiking my group insurance premiums which are based largely on risk and claims history. It’s just like I won’t hire 60-somethings or obese people since they cost me a lot of money on group health insurance premiums. That’s not supposed to be legal but it happens every day.

Old 02-01-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Gaslighting again? Or just too poorly informed to know what fascism is?
https://noqreport.com/2021/04/01/for...ical-spectrum/

Fascism is the merger of the state and cooperations.. the state says Walmart must check passports in certain locations and then Walmart the cooperation refuses people to shop in their store if they do not have the vaccine passport. Very simple.

The mayor demands buisneses in Boston must refuse people who do not take covid vaccines. That is the very definition of fascism.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 02-01-2022 at 06:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts