Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 06:34 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Numbers are actually starting to look great again.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:00 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

They are just behind on testing. But yes the mini uptick was just that.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:04 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Better and definitely a heck of a lot better than other states but not great. I don't think our numbers were ever great but we're a densely populated state that was hit hard early so it's very hard to flatten the curve to a near pancake level. It'd be great if we got the numbers below 100 cases per day.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:33 PM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
We are estimated at being back down below an RT of 1 after more than a month in the red: https://rt.live/

That gives me a big sigh of relief.

We're not doing stellar compared to the rest of the world, but as a state that attracts tourists and has no way of barring people from entering our borders, I'm very proud of where we've come.

I had my third outing since March with people who do not at least spend part of the time in my household. We got takeout, went to a college campus (the day before the 2 week move in started), sat at least 10 feet away from each other while eating without masks, and immediately put masks on after we were done. Before getting together, we verbally confirmed with each other that no one else was breaking their bubble. One has a partner who still has to physically go to work, so he remained 10 feet away even with the masks, though the rest of us scooted a little closer.

I wish more people would do these basic mitigating efforts when they see people outside of their immediate household. Gatherings with family and friends where people think because they know each other, they don't need to wear masks are how this continues to spread.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:11 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
We are estimated at being back down below an RT of 1 after more than a month in the red: https://rt.live/

That gives me a big sigh of relief.

We're not doing stellar compared to the rest of the world, but as a state that attracts tourists and has no way of barring people from entering our borders, I'm very proud of where we've come.

Agree, but the administration should really look into returning to Phase 2 for a while. I have little faith in the deterrent value of the fines & enforcement scheduled to go into effect today. If we can squash the numbers even lower to, say, the positivity rates of NY & CT before the flood of students arrives later this month, I'd really breathe a sigh of relief.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:57 AM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree, but the administration should really look into returning to Phase 2 for a while. I have little faith in the deterrent value of the fines & enforcement scheduled to go into effect today. If we can squash the numbers even lower to, say, the positivity rates of NY & CT before the flood of students arrives later this month, I'd really breathe a sigh of relief.

I hear that. Are you suggesting going to Phase 2 because you think indoor dining and other Phase 3 things are contributing to the spread, or because you think it will up the seriousness the population takes it?

Old 08-11-2020, 07:00 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
I wish more people would do these basic mitigating efforts when they see people outside of their immediate household. Gatherings with family and friends where people think because they know each other, they don't need to wear masks are how this continues to spread.
I'd place a larger blame on "toxic masculinity" ... mask compliance among men is pretty dismal, particularly as you move down the cognitive ladder.

I understand that once you're on site in high heat/humidity environments wearing a mask is torturous, but there's really no reason 4-5 guys should be piled into an air conditioned truck with no mask. Just today on my AM jog I ran past a house which is mid remodel ... there has to be 30 guys on site and not a mask to be seen ... including the 5-8 guys scraping the siding on an 18th century farmhouse. Apparently their Skoal and Monster diet cures both Covid-19 and lead poisoning.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:01 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I hear that. Are you suggesting going to Phase 2 because you think indoor dining and other Phase 3 things are contributing to the spread, or because you think it will up the seriousness the population takes it?
A bit of both. I remain very skeptical of gyms and indoor dining in particular...both of which have been proven (in other states, admittedly) to be contributors to transmission. And it's not me, by the way...several epidemiologists were calling for MA to return to Phase 2 last week.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:32 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp

Old 08-11-2020, 10:57 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
I gotta say, LOL at thinking there's anything Charlie can say or do that will make the population take this more seriously. Those who are going to take it seriously are already at an annoying 11 on the panic-o-meter, those who aren't at 11 aren't going to budge because things went back to phase 2, and the people at 0 on the scale don't give two craps what Charlie thinks or does because 'murica and freedom eagles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts