Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2020, 07:07 PM

17,736 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
anybody have shortages of anything yet? Seems strange when I go around and I see that one missing thing for no reason. Here weeks ago was bacon just one piece of bacon at the supermarket it's all sold out even the turkey bacon...

There's supposedly a shortage of pepperoni. Not to the point where you can't get it, but the price is higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
IMO, there shouldn't be any indoor dining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
If indoor dining were an issue here, wouldn't it be reflected in the data by now?

I don't know.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I also see people fearful of eating inside a restaurant but restaurants have been open for months now. I have heard of restaurants shutting down when things become too crowded but I haven’t heard of corona spreading in a restaurant. Plus numbers are low.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:23 PM

Other than the Biogen meeting, some nursing homes, and a few house parties, we haven't been given much information about where people have contracted the virus.

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on a lack of information.

That said, I'd think that indoor dining would have been shut down if it was a major problem. But who knows when money is involved.

I wouldn't eat inside a restaurant.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 AM

448 posts, read 282,255 times
Everyone has their own 'comfy zone'.

Eating inside a restaurant is not in ours.

Just not 'there' yet. Maybe its low risk, but a risk still...

Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
anybody have shortages of anything yet? Seems strange when I go around and I see that one missing thing for no reason. Here weeks ago was bacon just one piece of bacon at the supermarket it's all sold out even the turkey bacon...
The can shortage seems seems to be impacting local inventories, either because there actually is an impact to production or consumers are trying to front-run a shortage.

I've also noticed some small business requesting coins. Apparently that shortage IS very real, though I don't imagine many are handling cash these days.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:52 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post

It all depends on your self-assessed risk. If you’re 65+ or younger with any of the usual risk-adding chronic problems like diabetes or heart disease, you’re going to probably view indoor dining quite differently from a healthy 25 year old. IMO, the mortality rates are lower now primarily because those people have mostly taken themselves out of circulation.

At age 62, I’m not going to do indoor dining and won’t go anywhere indoors where people aren’t wearing masks. I will do al fresco dining if my seating is on the waterfront and upwind from other tables. I’m the same way at the beach. I won’t ever locate downwind of anyone. The beach has 12’ minimum separation and I doubt I’ve been stationary on the sand within 20’ of anyone all summer so it’s very low risk.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:15 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post

Same here. I'm sure the risk is low, but it's a risk I don't feel is necessary to take right now. I'm fine with take-out.

I haven't even gone inside anyone's house since Feb other than my own. (not including our two vacation stays). Anytime I visit friends, or my own parents, it's strictly outside. I'm not so much worried about myself, as I am about passing it on to older relatives like my parents and such.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:17 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There's supposedly a shortage of pepperoni. Not to the point where you can't get it, but the price is higher.
I was going to say that everything seems normal here, but we actually ran into this the other day. We wanted a simple meat/cheese/bread board for dinner outside and the pepperoni that we normally pay about $6 for at Star Market was $11 at the same store. And there were only 2 left. So that would explain the markup.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:23 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
anybody have shortages of anything yet?
Pressure treated wood, although that seems to be better right now. But back in June, I had to delay a home project due to not being able to find PT in specific sizes. Obviously there are a shortage of masks, as I do need some respirators and such to paint and can't find anything and my supply is dried up.

Also, not technically a shortage, but i'm restoring a car and have been ordering supplies and parts. Lead times are long due to increased demand and shortage of materials and labor due to shutdowns. Prices are also up as well. I'm still waiting on specific parts I ordered in April.

From a commercial/business standpoint, there are raw material delays increasing lead-times on materials my company builds. Reason is same as above. Demand is up, and material shortages (due to covid shutdowns) exist. It's gotten much better recently, but I still pad my lead times to customers due to uncertainties as to when I can get parts.

Also, on the business side, I've been stocking up on safety materials for my team. Anything that would be associated with virus safety is in short supply. I need face shields for lab use, and they are hard to find. Spray bottles, gloves, etc. You can get them, but prices are higher, lead times longer, and I have to look a little harder to find someplace to sell them. Our usual sources are Mcmaster, grainger, Fastenal, etc and they are slim pickings. It's gotten better the last month or so however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts