Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2020, 04:33 PM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Didn’t a broadway star just die of it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes. Nick Cordero.
41 years old. Struggled for months, put in a medically induced coma, had to have a leg amputated, and he had HOLES in his lungs.

And, as far as I know, he was healthy prior to getting the virus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 10:11 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,416,532 times
Coronavirus deaths in Massachusetts up 15, key data heading in positive direction
There have been 111,597 cases in the state

PUBLISHED: July 12, 2020 at 4:20 p.m. | UPDATED: July 12, 2020 at 4:37 p.m.

Massachusetts health officials on Sunday reported 15 more people have died from the coronavirus and 199 new cases, as the statewide positive test rate continued to stay low.

The 15 new coronavirus deaths bring the state’s COVID-19 death toll to 8,325, the state Department of Public Health announced. The three-day average of coronavirus daily deaths has dropped from 161 at the start of May to 16 now.

The state has logged 111,597 cases of the highly contagious disease, an increase of 172 confirmed cases since Saturday and 27 probable cases. Of the 111,597 total cases, at least 94,347 people have recovered.

Coronavirus hospitalizations went up by 11 patients, bringing the state’s COVID-19 hospitalization total to 583. Overall, the statewide hospitalization total has declined by 2,979 since May 5.

There are 93 patients in the ICU, and 43 are currently intubated.

The highest peak of Massachusetts coronavirus hospitalizations was 3,965 on April 21. The three-day average of the number of coronavirus hospitalizations has gone from 3,707 on May 1 to 596 now.

An additional 11,119 tests have brought the state’s total to 1,213,914 tests. The seven-day weighted average of the state’s positive test rate has declined from 16.6% on May 1 to 1.7% now.

Middlesex County has the most confirmed cases in Massachusetts with 24,483, followed by Suffolk County with 20,301 cases.

The state reported 23,674 residents and health care workers at long-term care facilities have now contracted the virus, with 369 facilities reporting at least one case of COVID-19.

Of the state’s 8,325 total coronavirus deaths, 5,274 are connected to long-term care facilities.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/07...ive-direction/

Old 07-13-2020, 04:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I heard that 1/3 of the covid deaths in Florida are people under 60. It's not just super old people in nursing homes.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...s-on-thursday/

I see 7% under age 55. You might be using the hospitalization number. 31% under age 55. No telling if there are long term health impacts to those people. There’s less than 6 months of data.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,550,341 times
A lot of teachers seem angry and terrified about school reopening. A lot of parents are afraid to send their kids. I guess I’m up in the air. Of course I don’t want my 4 and 6 yr old to get corona but it seems like most young kids who get it end up being asymptotic or have cold/cough symptoms. Unless someone’s kid is immunocompromised, or the parent is and they’re worried about them bringing it home what are they so worried about that they are terrified of getting corona?

I can’t help but feel irritated a parents worrying about healthy toddlers and 1st graders getting it to the point of not wanting schools to reopen. It seems idiotic.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:44 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,143,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...s-on-thursday/

I see 7% under age 55. You might be using the hospitalization number. 31% under age 55. No telling if there are long term health impacts to those people. There’s less than 6 months of data.
Given the increasing evidence of vascular issues, primarily clotting, I'm all set with beta testing as a 30-something.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
I can’t help but feel irritated a parents worrying about healthy toddlers and 1st graders getting it to the point of not wanting schools to reopen. It seems idiotic.

So teachers are COVID-19 cannon fodder to provide free day care for your demon spawn for 6 hours per day in a crowded room with no air flow? I can't understand how they could possibly be upset and angry about that.

Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
A lot of teachers seem angry and terrified about school reopening. A lot of parents are afraid to send their kids. I guess I’m up in the air. Of course I don’t want my 4 and 6 yr old to get corona but it seems like most young kids who get it end up being asymptotic or have cold/cough symptoms. Unless someone’s kid is immunocompromised, or the parent is and they’re worried about them bringing it home what are they so worried about that they are terrified of getting corona?

Unless the state wishes to turn it's schools in Montessori 'Lord of the Flies' edition, a functioning school has hundreds of higher risk teachers/admin/ops. There are plenty of people placed at risk by opening both within the school and at home in multi-gen households ... which are not at all that rare even in wealthy SFH districts.

But we've already discussed this ad nauseam, haven't we?

Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 AM

Well what is the answer? Keep schools closed so the teachers can still keep their jobs while teaching remotely? Meanwhile other Americans could lose their jobs or be forced to quit their jobs if this happens.

And no one ever thought of school as daycare but it is a place where parents send their kids to learn and become a normal person in society while they go to work so they can you know, pay them bills so they don’t end up homeless. Everyone’s situation is different. Some people have it better than someone else and it’s no big deal if schools close. I’m actually one of those people. My kids are young and DH and I can both work from home. But we have friend who are nurses and cops who can’t do the same. It also isn’t a great situation to be working from home while teaching kids at the same time. Not a great environment. And when will it ever be safe to open schools at this point ?

Old 07-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Well what is the answer? Keep schools closed so the teachers can still keep their jobs while teaching remotely? Meanwhile other Americans could lose their jobs or be forced to quit their jobs if this happens.

And no one ever thought of school as daycare but it is a place where parents send their kids to learn and become a normal person in society while they go to work so they can you know, pay them bills so they don’t end up homeless. Everyone’s situation is different. Some people have it better than someone else and it’s no big deal if schools close. I’m actually one of those people. My kids are young and DH and I can both work from home. But we have friend who are nurses and cops who can’t do the same. It also isn’t a great situation to be working from home while teaching kids at the same time. Not a great environment. And when will it ever be safe to open schools at this point ?
We need significant federal intervention, but ... well ... the current approach has been to ignore and obfuscate. If there was UBI for dual income households it would significantly relieve many pressures.

IMO, this should not be the teachers problem. They aren't healthcare professionals who are used to or willing to wear proper PPE. I don't think people understand the rigor required.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:29 AM

I don’t know that the government giving more money to people is the answer either.

No one is saying this should be the teachers problem. But at this point why should teachers in MA or New England not return to work on the fall ? Unless we see a huge spike of course.

I’m sorry but it does seem like life has returned to normal for many around here and there hasn’t been a spike. I’ve been down the cape every weekend and it’s surprising to me how crowded the beaches, restaurants, stores and hotels are. If people can do these activities then why is opening schools such a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts