Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 04:58 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
People DO understand that the virus travels in the air. We've known that for a long time. We know the risks. Just like we have done through this ENTIRE pandemic, we make choices based on those risks. Those who are vaccinated are willing to take more risks because they feel they are more protected. The risks are less risky. Those who never felt at risk are living their lives as they always have. We've done the lockdowns. Every single one of us made sacrifices. Most of us had a super sh*tty 2020 and still mostly sh*tty 2021 as we navigated through every phase of this pandemic.

With vaccinations available nobody is willing to back to a pre-vaccinated world. We have accepted that it spreads among the vaccinated. We have accepted that covid isn't going anywhere. We have accepted that we will need to live with it and manage it personally in whatever way we feel comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 05:47 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I work with people who haven’t set foot on a restaurant since feb 2020.
I'm married to one.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:21 PM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
redplum, I cannot roll my eyes enough. When I say "I would rather" and "I would prefer" that is because that is my PERSONAL experience with covid. I would rather have covid than MANY other ailments because covid causes no symptoms for me. I also prefer fall over spring for many reasons, so I guess I'm a spring minimizer.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:29 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
What does that mean?

I don't see many choices here. Are the hospitals going to turn down people and send them home to die? With staff shortages, it's not like they can just open up a bunch of field hospitals.

People are saying there's no appetite for restrictions/shutdown. Was there ever?
What i mean by that is i don't see any more shutdowns, restrictions, mandates, closures, etc being rolled out now similar to what we saw back in March '20. Pretty much what is in place now is what it's going to be.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
What i mean by that is i don't see any more shutdowns, restrictions, mandates, closures, etc being rolled out now similar to what we saw back in March '20. Pretty much what is in place now is what it's going to be.
The hospitals will further curtail elective surgeries, if they need to. Some have started to already.

It's really an issue because a good deal of the capacity being used now isn't for covid but for other conditions people put off treating when covid was much worse.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:05 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I’d rather have air exchange and filtering standards. That way, I could pick restaurants that meet the standard. Right now, I have no idea if some super spreader 20 feet away is going to infect the whole restaurant. Some places were built in the days of cigarette smoking and wouldn’t be hard to update to HEPA filters.
That would be great. The air quality in most schools reeks--I know that from experience. Lack of funding to change the filters, lack of money for anything. But on tv the other day they showed volunteers and others making air purifiers for classrooms @ about $70 each. A fan, a box, a hepa filter. It's a matter of assembling them cheaply because the only part that seems to cost much is the hepa filter.

I can't find an article about it but if the employees of the restaurant could do what these people did for a school system, you'd have pretty decent air quality.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:04 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,857,841 times
Here we go again

Old 12-10-2021, 04:51 AM

12,460 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Data from MA (over 400 of the 1000+ in the hospitals with covid are vaccinated), and a call for for action now by others than myself: https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...?p1=hp_primary
It is simply not true that covid does not contribute to the health care crisis in significant ways. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/o...gan-surge.html
AND if you extrapolate from current cases to hospitalization increases 1-2 weeks down the road, THAT is when true **** will hit the fan. The covid data for RI https://ridoh-covid-19-response-hosp...ub.arcgis.com/
Dec 6 2020 hospital beds 494, ICU 48, vent 25
Dec 6 2021 hospital beds 226, ICU 35, vent 18
Last year Dec 6, Rhode island was at its peak. Now we are far from a peak, without any mitigation and with a worse staffing crisis. How can any governor, or Director of Public Health not look at this and despair?
We know how to stop this, at least pre-Omicron. The problem with doing anything here now is that our government has screwed up our covid response from the very beginning, in almost all dimensions (testing, masking, vaccination, lockdowns). We are quite literally the world leaders in how not to do pandemic response.
We could do things FAR better in the US, with the principle problem being vaccination levels that are far short of complete. But the reality is, there's been a concerted disinformation campaign going on for over a year to get people to distrust all the virus countermeasures, and to accept the virus as having minimal risk. That campaign, for many people, has worked! And after 16+ months of that, they are simply not looking for and not open to any new information. It is what it is!

All that said, Europe is not without people who distrust all the virus countermeasures, who rant about government and industry conspiracies, and who aren't afraid to get Covid-19 - in short, they have many of the same issues with disinformation and gullible people who've been taken in. It's not just the USA.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:53 AM

Interesting new study looks at Covid-19 and direct impacts on adipocytes - fat cells. Note that these observations could explain why obese patients often have poorer outcomes and how long Covid occurs. "In a recent study, posted to the preprint database bioRxiv on Oct. 25, scientists experimented with fat tissue obtained from bariatric surgeries, to see if the tissue could be infected by the coronavirus. They found that fat cells, known as adipocytes, could become infected and developed a low level of inflammation. They also found that immune cells housed within the fat tissue, called macrophages, also became infected and kicked off a much more intense inflammatory response.

In addition to these experiments, the team examined fat tissue from patients who died from COVID-19 infections and found coronavirus particles in the fat that surrounded various organs. Viruses like HIV and influenza can squirrel themselves away in fat tissue, as a way of hiding from the immune system; several experts told the Times that SARS-CoV-2 could theoretically do something similar, making fat a reservoir for the virus."

https://www.livescience.com/coronavi...ect-fat-tissue

Old 12-10-2021, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Here we go again
Yes, decent vaccination rates here should help us relative to the experience in the Gulf states this summer, and we should have lower hospitalization and death rates per case. But people who thought that we were immune to the Delta surge because of these vaccination rates were being too optimistic and not really looking carefully at all the data.

70% immunization isn't THAT different from 50% immunization. It still leaves 30% completely unprotected (a lot of people), and as we know, Delta can infect and be transmitted by vaccinated individuals with reduced, yes, but still significant frequency, so even the 70% are not inert the system. 70% vaccinated is definitely better than 50% vaccinated, but it's far from invulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts