Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 04:55 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times

Advertisements

MsRB, I understand that you have some issues with charolastra but I see no reason why she would lie (or exaggerate) about the college students.

I don't recall the details but early in the pandemic it was said that young athletes can have a lot of problems with covid. I think it has something to do with heavy exercise.

I think we also need to understand that mild cases can result in Long Covid whereas the symptoms just don't go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 04:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
If my kids can’t climb steps in college I’ll be pretty unhappy about it and wonder what the hell is going on.
And in this situation, the answer to what the hell is going on is long term effects of covid.

I think that's been covered.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:16 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You are the disinformation. There would be far fewer dead if we focused attention based on risk rather than shrill hysteria and the world's scarce resources focused on people and situations that are lower or no risk. What a very unscientific travesty.
Yeah, we should've stuck the old and obese in isolation camps. Free ivermectin, Listerine, and HCQ for everyone else. How stupid of us!

Old 12-10-2021, 05:27 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
You do realize that most college aged kids don’t have the issues you are referring to. If it was one or two people I could understand but you are saying it’s a high number of people on one dormitory. That does seem odd to me.

I have dealt with elderly grandparents but that’s about it thankfully. If my kids can’t climb steps in college I’ll be pretty unhappy about it and wonder what the hell is going on.

Can you point out where I said most college aged people have issues?

I simply pointed out that even among low-risk demographics, there is a significant number of people who are suffering long-term effects. Many people focus on death, which is very low for people under 50, but that does not impact the risk of long-COVID.

Studies currently point to somewhere in the ballpark 33-50% of people who have had covid, even mild covid, have side effects at least 6 months later. Of those long term effects are relatively mild, like lack of smell or taste, brain fog, or anxiety. Others are much more significant, like lung and heart issues. And I didn't say one dormitory, I said that a larger number of people are requesting to not be on upper floors of inaccessible buildings. I'm not talking about hundreds here, but going from even 5 pre-pandemic accommodation requests of that nature to 25 is a huge increase.

In this case, you wouldn't wonder what the hell was going on. You'd know it was a very well publicized thing called long-COVID. And you wouldn't imply that these people somehow brought it upon themselves due to their lifestyle. If it really and truly does seems odd to you that must mean you aren't following any covid news, in which case I wonder why you are contributing to this thread.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:09 PM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
I’m not saying anyone is lying. It just seems odd and unfortunate.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:15 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Can you point out where I said most college aged people have issues?

I simply pointed out that even among low-risk demographics, there is a significant number of people who are suffering long-term effects. Many people focus on death, which is very low for people under 50, but that does not impact the risk of long-COVID.

Studies currently point to somewhere in the ballpark 33-50% of people who have had covid, even mild covid, have side effects at least 6 months later. Of those long term effects are relatively mild, like lack of smell or taste, brain fog, or anxiety. Others are much more significant, like lung and heart issues. And I didn't say one dormitory, I said that a larger number of people are requesting to not be on upper floors of inaccessible buildings. I'm not talking about hundreds here, but going from even 5 pre-pandemic accommodation requests of that nature to 25 is a huge increase.

In this case, you wouldn't wonder what the hell was going on. You'd know it was a very well publicized thing called long-COVID. And you wouldn't imply that these people somehow brought it upon themselves due to their lifestyle. If it really and truly does seems odd to you that must mean you aren't following any covid news, in which case I wonder why you are contributing to this thread.
Are you sure these studies aren't looking at people who were hospitalized with Covid, as opposed to just anyone with a positive test? Because that makes a huge difference, if so.

If even a third of people who have had Covid had "Long Covid" symptoms six months later, that might be about 48 million people we're talking about, given that the CDC estimated at the beginning of October that there have been 147 million infections in the U.S. Does that sound at all plausible to you? It sounds completely implausible to me.

I know of only one person who had Covid symptoms six months after infection. Even if I only knew 20 people who had had Covid, and 33% of all infected with Covid had "Long Covid" symptoms six months later, the probability of only knowing one or fewer people who fall in this category, calculated using a binomial distribution, is 0.36%. So either I'm incredibly lucky, or you're making an argument using numbers that are way, way off.

Last edited by tribecavsbrowns; 12-10-2021 at 06:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 06:27 PM

17,743 posts, read 9,192,519 times
This is an older article (March 2021), but...

Studies show long-haul COVID-19 afflicts 1 in 4 COVID-19 patients, regardless of severity

"A patient’s age, prior health or severity of their COVID-19 case does not seem to matter"

"More than one in four COVID-19 patients develop long-haul symptoms lasting for months – even if they had mild cases, according to a handful of studies that have emerged recently.

Doctors have been estimating one-quarter to one-third of COVID-19 patients become long haulers, as many patients call themselves. Now, four studies published since February confirm that range. They show that 27% to nearly 33% of patients who had COVID-19 but did not need to be hospitalized later developed some form of long-haul COVID."

Old 12-10-2021, 06:29 PM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Yeah, we should've stuck the old and obese in isolation camps. Free ivermectin, Listerine, and HCQ for everyone else. How stupid of us!
Well yeah, that's predictably how a simple-minded ideologue would interpret risk based approaches. But of course the irony of your remark is that we didn't protect the old or obese at all so, yeah, how stupid of us. And while some nations were seeing good results with certain safe and well established medicinal treatments, others were working feverishly to suppress them and get them off the market so people could die on vents waiting for a vaccine that requires boosters every 3 months to eternity creating vast wealth for Big Pharma.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 12-10-2021 at 06:38 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 06:48 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
This is an older article (March 2021), but...

Studies show long-haul COVID-19 afflicts 1 in 4 COVID-19 patients, regardless of severity

"A patient’s age, prior health or severity of their COVID-19 case does not seem to matter"

"More than one in four COVID-19 patients develop long-haul symptoms lasting for months – even if they had mild cases, according to a handful of studies that have emerged recently.

Doctors have been estimating one-quarter to one-third of COVID-19 patients become long haulers, as many patients call themselves. Now, four studies published since February confirm that range. They show that 27% to nearly 33% of patients who had COVID-19 but did not need to be hospitalized later developed some form of long-haul COVID."
OK, so the denominator isn't hospitalized patients, but it is people who sought out some sort of medical care. So there's a huge selection bias, and the percentage of people who have these symptoms out of all people who have been infected with Covid is much lower, it would stand to reason.

Thanks for digging up the article.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:55 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,855,557 times
I'm one of the only people I know who hasn't gotten COVID(to my knowledge). Most of the others being every member of my immediate family. I guess we have been doing something right.

I am vaccinated, parents got the booster. I wear a mask to be polite but I don't believe it really makes a difference in most cases because no one around here really takes it seriously and only does it as dinner theatre. I think the big one is that I don't do anything anyway, so it's not that big of a deal.

I've been going to the gym and the market every day since day 15 of the Pandemic, when Kemp reopened the state of Georgia. I'm always maskless at the gym and usually maskless running errands. If I'm in an Uber I wear one(though I've forgotten before and no one said anything, one time the driver actually took hers off which reminded me about my own).

If I'm someplace like starbucks or wholefoods where i know the clientele will generally be wearing them, I'll wear it. Not everyone wears one in these kind of place sin Georgia it's about 70/30, but again i don't want to make others feel uncomfortable more than anything.

The main thing to me is limiting big group gatherings, which I've only been to a few at all since April20. Almost everyone I know in their 20s has gotten Covid already besides me. None of them had long term effects except one person i heard about who is a friend of a friend who has/had long term loss of smell. On the other hand I know a few elder care nurses in the state of MA and some places in the state have had the majority of their patients die of COVID within the last 2 years. As in 70-80% of every single resident on the floor dead from COVID...

Stuff we already knew... but whatever . Idon't think it's ever going away now. Our opportunity to stop this thing from becoming endemic ended a long, long time ago, if we ever had one at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts