Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 11:02 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Unknown indeed. I've met exactly one person who has long-term effects. I don't live my life based on unknown risks that don't provide any signal to my senses that they actually exist in significant proportion, just because someone is screaming at me about them. Never have, never will.

Some feedback: if you cooled it with the insults and the uncalled-for scare quotes around natural immunity, maybe more people would want to take your free vaccine.
Calling it like it is, and I'm being gracious. Rewind to the first 6 months of 2021. The gentle approach didn't work. Mandates are coming if they're already not here. Too many who didn't feel any "signal to their senses" are now in the ICU or funeral home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 12:05 PM

12,457 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Forget the possibility of dying. Opting to get sick and risk your lungs to unknown long-term effects, vs. getting a free vaccine, is beyond stupidity. And even "natural immunity" is not as good as vaccinated immunity, as studies have now shown.
That's the thing I don't get. Set aside the people ranting about conspiracy theories. Consider the people who say something like, "Hey, I've looked at the stats, and if I get Covid I have < 1% chance of dying and < 10% chance of getting long Covid. So I am not worried about it"... fine, but, I could just as well say "Hey, I've looked at the stats and if I don't wear a set belt and if run a stop sign I have less than a 1% chance of dying, in fact the odds are I'll just slide right through without hitting anyone, so I think that's what I'll do"... but, what do you really gain by taking the risky path? Nothing? Then it's a dumb decision.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 12-10-2021 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-10-2021, 12:28 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That's the thing I don't get. Set aside the people ranting about conspiracy theories. Consider the people who say something like, "Hey, I've looked at the stats, and if I get Covid I have < 1% chance of dying and < 10% chance of getting long Covid. So I am not worried about it"... fine, but, I could just as well say "Hey, I've looked at the stats and if I don't wear a set belt and if run a stop sign I have less than a 1% chance of dying, in fact the odds are I'll just slide right through without hitting anyone"... but, what do you really gain by taking the risky path? Nothing? Then it's a dumb decision.
Do you actually want to know, or do you want to caterwaul endlessly about how people are idiots and selfish for taking on risk that you personally don't want to take? If I could be convinced that it's the former and not the latter, I could begin to answer your question.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:45 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do you actually want to know, or do you want to caterwaul endlessly about how people are idiots and selfish for taking on risk that you personally don't want to take? If I could be convinced that it's the former and not the latter, I could begin to answer your question.
Nope. Don't bother. They will insult you and everyone who disagrees with them and then accuse you of ad homs while stamping their feet in a hissy fit. If you haven't noticed the pattern of irrational emotionally-driven delusions of this cabal of virtue signalers over the last 2 years, please scroll back. When others were keeping the world running during the height of the pandemic these three or four were hiding under their beds complaining about why things weren't going well enough on the outside. Now they have their vaccine but it's the people who have already been infected or who have been exposed during the entire event who are at fault, and our friends here are the real heroes who care about others. The lady doth protest too much methinks. Dogma and not science, rules the day here.

Old 12-10-2021, 01:52 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
That seems crazy to me about all these college students you're saying need to live on the first floor because of covid. Sounds like a bunch of people who probably need(ed) to live a healthier lifestyle.

What does lifestyle have to do with COVID-related lung damage?

It seems like you have never dealt with disability in your family. I hope that when (and it is indeed a when) it comes for you and yours, you receive more grace than you are showing here.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:05 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
We just canned our first person for not getting vaccinated. I'm pretty pissed she lost her job because she had her head filled with misinformation. The people spreading that crap are evil.

Old 12-10-2021, 02:09 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
This is interesting and very disconcerting. Did your university have a vaccination requirement?

Everyone must be vaccinated, but that doesn't help the bulk of people who got COVID before vaccines were available. College student-aged people only got access last April/May.

I can't speak to where all the students got it, but one is my student worker. She has been in and out of the hospital with heart issues since she got COVID at home taking classes remotely last spring. She is one of the students with housing accommodations as a result. She was an athlete on one of the varsity teams. Now she gets out of breath walking across campus and sleeps 12 hours a day. She's 20 years old.

At least the vaccines gave her her sense of taste back!

Old 12-10-2021, 03:23 PM

12,457 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
We just canned our first person for not getting vaccinated. I'm pretty pissed she lost her job because she had her head filled with misinformation. The people spreading that crap are evil.
I don't think the word "evil" is hyperbole. There are 800,000 dead Americans so far, and while even without the disinformation the toll would be terrible, I wouldn't be at all surprised if hundreds of thousands of lives could have been saved, if these people didn't keep spreading the delusional disinformation. They are in fact still doing it now - it's not like there was some miscalculation or there have been unintended consequences from one rash act, it's been thousands and thousands of false statements by dozens of prominent people in a long campaign of propaganda against all countermeasures to the pandemic.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:46 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,675,087 times
You are the disinformation. There would be far fewer dead if we focused attention based on risk rather than shrill hysteria and the world's scarce resources focused on people and situations that are lower or no risk. What a very unscientific travesty.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:39 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What does lifestyle have to do with COVID-related lung damage?

It seems like you have never dealt with disability in your family. I hope that when (and it is indeed a when) it comes for you and yours, you receive more grace than you are showing here.
You do realize that most college aged kids don’t have the issues you are referring to. If it was one or two people I could understand but you are saying it’s a high number of people on one dormitory. That does seem odd to me.

I have dealt with elderly grandparents but that’s about it thankfully. If my kids can’t climb steps in college I’ll be pretty unhappy about it and wonder what the hell is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts