Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2021, 10:32 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times

Advertisements

'civic duty' seems a bit much. One could say it's a wealthy person's civic duty to donate to people in need but we know that doesn't always happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2021, 10:46 AM

5,116 posts, read 2,672,758 times
People expose themselves to potential contagions everyday, whether they like it or not. That's reality. You are potentially exposing yourself to COVID whether those around you are vaccinated or not, along with endless other diseases. And if you think injecting something into someone's system is analogous to taking a urine sample to see if they are using mind altering substances, then I just don't know what to tell ya. I imagine there are many people who are waiting a bit to decide whether they want to take the vaccines that have been made available, or others that may be in the pipeline. That doesn't necessarily mean they are anti-vax it means they are pro choice for taking the inoculation they choose not the one a mob chooses for them at the time the mob tells them to. Especially when those vaccinated are also carrying and spreading and getting the virus.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 09-07-2021 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
People expose themselves to potential contagions everyday, whether they like it or not. That's reality. You are potentially exposing yourself to COVID whether those around you are vaccinated, or not along with endless other diseases. And if you think injecting something into someone's system is analogous to taking a urine sample to see if they are using mind altering substances, then I just don't know what to tell ya.
A urine sample could be viewed as more invasive, and almost carrying a presumption of guilt with it. A vaccine mandate or incentive, especially given the greater benefits to the employer's workplace, is absolutely more justifiable. That's where we're headed, since government isn't going to do it.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
A urine sample could be viewed as more invasive, and almost carrying a presumption of guilt with it. A vaccine mandate or incentive, especially given the greater benefits to the employer's workplace, is absolutely more justifiable. That's where we're headed, since government isn't going to do it.
Actually there is well established regulation around drug tests with no presumption of guilt and full review by a medical officer. And there is nothing injected into you. You can view it however you want. I look at reality. Oh, and I don't look to big business for solutions to ethical dilemmas but have at it.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:12 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,552,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Exposing yourself to unvaccinated people during a pandemic is also a 'medical decision'. I think we have differing views of what constitutes freedom. If you want to do something your employer does not want you to do, you think that a free society should use the force of arms to compel your employer to allow you. I think that employers should have broader control over who they hire and continue to employ.

How do you feel about employer drug tests? That is a 'medical procedure' at least as invasive as a COVID vaccination. Should those be made universally illegal, as well?
Taking a drug test might
Be invasive but there are no health consequences. This vaccine has been a disaster. Lots of military people are disabled because of it. Teens are dying from it or at least developing heart conditions. Let's not just look at deaths from vaccines but people permanently injured.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:36 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Actually there is well established regulation around drug tests with no presumption of guilt and full review by a medical officer. And there is nothing injected into you. You can view it however you want. I look at reality. Oh, and I don't look to big business for solutions to ethical dilemmas but have at it.
It's not a dilemma for most of us, it's a no-brainer after going through 2020. And businesses are acutely aware of the costs of prolonging the pandemic. That's why the private sector is taking the lead on requiring vaccines, where the govt wouldn't.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:39 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Taking a drug test might
Be invasive but there are no health consequences. This vaccine has been a disaster. Lots of military people are disabled because of it. Teens are dying from it or at least developing heart conditions. Let's not just look at deaths from vaccines but people permanently injured.
You have fallen victim to an elaborate disinformation campaign propagated for unknown reasons but with decidedly real consequences. Do you have any credible sources listing that:
  1. The vaccine has been a disaster
  2. Lots of military people are disabled because of the vaccine
  3. Lots of teens are dying from the vaccine
  4. Lots of teens are developing heart conditions from the vaccine

The vaccine is not a disaster. COVID has been a disaster. Lots of people are dying. Of COVID. Lots of people are developing heart conditions. From COVID. Thankfully teens aren't getting all that sick, but even in teens, COVID is more dangerous than the vaccine.

Here are what I consider credible sources in favor of the vaccine and vaccination:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7031e1.htm
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa2108891
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

Old 09-07-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's not a dilemma for most of us, it's a no-brainer after going through 2020. And businesses are acutely aware of the costs of prolonging the pandemic. That's why the private sector is taking the lead on requiring vaccines, where the govt wouldn't.
By all means keep on no-braining within your echo chamber. Nobody has benefited more from this pandemic than big business.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 09-07-2021 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 11:55 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
This vaccine has been a disaster. Lots of military people are disabled because of it.
Do you have a source for this? I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Old 09-07-2021, 11:58 AM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
i haven't heard anything about military people being disabled from the vaccine either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts