Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 05:37 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,540,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
There's a difference between the viewing information as part of a confirmation and actually copying and using that. Long ago I used to do Collections and under the law the way all it is is that credit is directly tied to a social security number regardless whether somebody is going to be with Social Security or not. Technically speaking there's no law that says you have to give your social security number out to anybody but the Social Security Administration. However you can't go back and say why didn't know I didn't have a bill but all we asked for was just a confirmation of say the last four numbers.

Businesses need to have continuity in terms of equality of service and the only way to do that is to have a uniform set of standards and most of that means having documentation. If an employee gets covid but all the other employees are fully tested and vetted they're going to ask from the insurance company who else did this person have access to. I. E contact tracing

My employer is asking for vaccinations. They set out a very specific time line in the email the other day laying out what the terms are if you want to claim religious a medical exemption. They're not waiting a long time for this. I believe they have to know one way or the other what somebody's status is by the 9th. If nothing is said then they are terminated regardless of duration.

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...trictions.html

"More than 400 Amherst College students have signed a letter objecting to COVID-19 protocols that require masks outdoors and prohibit them from going to off-campus restaurants and bars. Indoor dining at the school is also banned.

The college had already mandated that all students, faculty and staff be vaccinated."

Now this is where this gets complicated. Main Lodge called communities as many students if not more students on campus than the local area. With that in mind you could say that there's more suede with a campus in the community that's actually in. The whole point of living you're a college area is that you have a steady flow of college students that will go to bars and restaurants and shops and they can prop up businesses that would otherwise not really get those same demographics all the time. This is why places like Boston and Cambridge have a different economy than the rest of the country. Younger people with more disposable income especially if they come from other countries are more apt to spend money here and they're not taking as much in terms of Social Services. But if your factor that out then they are going to consume more services and not contribute as much the economy.

Can you imagine if an academic institution in Boston said don't go off campus to eat?

Many college communities by themselves are not adequately staffed with the resources to accommodate reopening. Look at pTown for example. looking at maybe three thousand people and it goes up to 10x during the tourist season. It's no wonder why there was breakthrough cases because I can't think of any other place that balloons up ten times our population on a normal basis.

What I'm getting to in this in many cases there's more people that work in an area that actually lives there we're very mobile society as a whole and if we want to come back the virus that does involved things like getting vaccinated and masks. We didn't have a real full set down like Europe yes we had a few things here and there that closed but we are still able to go outside we are still able to shop we could get things we could do things and itwasn't like that in other areas.

Maybe it's just me but I'm kind of prepared myself for greater shut down. I went from having an apartment to buying a house, I now have a grill, I also have a nice piece of gym equipment called Total Gym, my car works and I have a job that is hybrid. We're a nation of immigrants and I really don't see us really coming back a hundred percent to everything until this is solved globally
Masks outdoors for college students that's crazy. Sounds like college is a prison now and not a fun place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 05:43 AM

16,309 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I also feel bad for anyone in college who has been dealing with this not to mention whoever is paying for their education. They're missing out on the full experience for sure.

Old 08-31-2021, 07:12 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,540,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also feel bad for anyone in college who has been dealing with this not to mention whoever is paying for their education. They're missing out on the full experience for sure.
They are getting a great education in authoritarianism. It's not worth paying all that money. Covid restrictions trump everything. A society focused on safety is a sick society. High school students were not allowed to have a graduation.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:09 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,765 times
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-covid-surge

Google delaying mandatory return to the office to January.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:17 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...on-covid-surge

Google delaying mandatory return to the office to January.
Last word at my employer (a small drug co) was that we won't return to the office until *at least* December.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:24 PM

We were told January as well. The longer the remote work goes on the sillier it seems to return.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:39 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,483,835 times
The scientists are still there most days of the week, and while my research informatics work can be done remotely, I currently go in 1 day a week. The occasional face-to-face is helpful IMO with the trust and relationships, especially for me since I am new there still. This can't last forever, but to me this schedule is ideal, given the rough commute in from Newburyport to Cambridge. Commuting is just 20% so sitting in traffic isn't my life, but I still get the in-person interactions regularly.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:12 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
We are expected to be back in the office at least twice a week.

Other teams at my institution are required to be in 5 days a week, even if their role does not require face-to-face contact. We'll see if this causes those departments to lose staff.

Old 08-31-2021, 03:39 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
Our return to work plans got delayed from Sept to Oct.

However my team and I have been 5 days since early summer. I only have 1 employee working remotely at the moment only because we eliminated a lot of cubes and turned that into lab space

Old 08-31-2021, 03:49 PM

My work (not my dept) was going to have some people back starting in sept but have pushed back given the delta variant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts