Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2021, 05:43 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times

Advertisements

At my new job it has been remote since last March of last year. We do back half the team Monday and Tuesday half a team Wednesday Thursday and Friday a general cleaning. The agreement we have so far is that this is until the end of this year. As I accepted this job I was asked by when I did apply for that apparently their candidates declined offers and I was going to be offered another which would also be remote. Although I declined that one we had a conversation for about 10 minutes and she said she's anticipating a second shutdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 07:25 AM

779 posts, read 878,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
We were told January as well. The longer the remote work goes on the sillier it seems to return.
I agree with this. As our return-to-office plans have been delayed, so has the frequency we are expected to return. At first there was rumblings about returning 2 days/week over the summer. Then there were discussions about each department coming in 1 day/week and we would rotate which departments came in which day--that was supposed to start happening after Labor Day. Now the return to the office has been delayed again and it is expected that we will only need to come in for certain meetings, so no expectation of us coming in on a specific day or even needing to stay for a full day when we do come in.

DH works downtown and the return has been delayed to 2022. Sounds like the expectation is only 1 - 2 days in the office per week.

I miss seeing my coworkers sometimes, but my day is really structured around my WFH schedule. The few times I've needed to go into the office seems like such a pain for me, and I barely even have a commute.

Old 09-01-2021, 07:31 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
When my current company purchased the division I worked for at my former company, I came over as a permanent remote employee and I am extremely grateful for that. I will be retiring soon and have no intention of ever working in an office again. Interestingly, my (current) company is also requiring that all employees be vaccinated. If you have a health or religious reason for not getting vaccinated, you have to submit a case to HR and provide certain acceptable proof.

Anyway, I submitted my vaccination record today, even though I am remote. I suppose if you're remote and don't want to get vaccinated, you could perhaps raise a case about it, but I don't know what the company will do as there was no statement differentiating remote vs on-site staff in this directive.

I have to say that I am glad that the company is taking this stance. If I had to go into the office (or have to for some future meeting or something), I will feel better knowing that everyone is protected as much as possible.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:31 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Just received notice from our specialty gases supplier that there is now a supply crunch (both product and delivery) due to "unprecedented demand" for medical grade O2 in the southern states.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:48 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Just received notice from our specialty gases supplier that there is now a supply crunch (both product and delivery) due to "unprecedented demand" for medical grade O2 in the southern states.

I read recently they had to scrub a space launch to resupply the space station because of lack of oxygen.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:57 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

A "friend of a friend" (unvaccinated) in Alabama recently got Covid. Breathing problems forced him into the ER. They initially admitted him, administered oxygen therapy but could not keep him there overnight due to the patients piling up outside. They said it was the same throughout the state and in neighboring Georgia. They sent him home with some meds, and basically said "good luck".

Old 09-01-2021, 11:47 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I read recently they had to scrub a space launch to resupply the space station because of lack of oxygen.
There have been a few delays of launches. SpaceX sent a resupply to the ISS on 8/29 but it had some concerns as well.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:56 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
The mandatory vaccine net is expanding. Surprised this didn't happen ahead of the state employee requirements. Way to go Baker!

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/09/...-care-workers/

Old 09-01-2021, 01:05 PM

12,452 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
A "friend of a friend" (unvaccinated) in Alabama recently got Covid. Breathing problems forced him into the ER. They initially admitted him, administered oxygen therapy but could not keep him there overnight due to the patients piling up outside. They said it was the same throughout the state and in neighboring Georgia. They sent him home with some meds, and basically said "good luck".
Eeps! I have read some reports in the southern states of periods where ambulances back up in a queue at the hospital's ER intake, because they don't have any beds available in the ER. They might need to sit there for an hour or several hours in the queue; and that's obviously affecting not just all the Covid-19 patients, but anyone who needs ER services.

For now, FL seems to have peaked and hospitalizations appear to be receding, along with LA, MO and *maybe* MS & AL, but e.g. TX, TN, KY and GA still have increasing hospitalizations.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-01-2021 at 01:16 PM..

Old 09-03-2021, 03:55 PM

337 posts, read 268,763 times
On behalf of a friend: If an employer mandates the Covid vaccine, can an employee seek religious exemption if they ethically object to employer-mandated vaccinations? Is there a lawyer in this state who could counsel my friend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts